Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Peter & Bert I've forwarded some PM's that I've received from both of you .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike -- no problem on sharing.

RT -- drat I was hoping for something easy. If you haven't discussed this glitch with Monster, I suggest you do as the transmission line pressure is computer-controlled (TCM and ECM).

While discussing this with Monster, ask about the possibility of CANBUS communications interference.

Also my understanding is the upgrade involves disconnecting and reconnecting the ECM which is kinda a tricky connector if you're not familiar with it. I've read posts where some pins weren't fully seated although I don't recall any issues for the ECM connector itself.

I'm still hoping for something easy.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I'll see what happens next time I get a chance to take her out on the highway again, and I'll keep the RPMs higher. According to Steve @Monster, they just update the ECM but he did warn me to keep the RPMs up with the stage 2. The update went flawlessly and it's been running great since I did the update in January. The mechanic at my dealership told me to go ahead with the stage 2 with his blessing and was impressed when he took it out after the service.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTWolfie View Post
    Thanks for your input BajaRon. Both times I was doing a consistent speed on flat terrain. What would the optimal RPM be for cruising on a highway?
    Not letting RPM get below 3,500 under load would be my usual advise. However, since you have the Monster tune, I am not sure this applies. I would guess that tune might require an increase in shift RPM. 6th gear is where slippage is most likely. The combination of high loading and lower RPM is where a clutch will fail first.

I don't want to pretend that I am an expert when it comes to these tunes. Frankly, if I were to guess. It sounds like an ECU issue to me. Again, don't go to the bank with my assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
    Good info sir !

BTW, BRP XPS does not have the JASO MA/MA2 rating on the bottle !
    BRP leaves all information off of their containers. My guess is, this allows them to change vendors/contents without the necessity of altering the container. But I can assure you that their oil Meets the JASO MA2 rating. However, there is a spread on all of the various ratings. A lubricant can be just barely over the line and qualify in that category right along with a lubricant that is at the top of the spread. That, we aren't probably going to be able to discern with the BRP lubricants. It is possible with others.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by P.W. View Post
    While at the dealer last spring they did update the tranny firmwear.
    I can tell you this all started when I went to to other oils and away from BRP oil..... Lamonsters oil and now Redline both have "slipped" never a problem with BPR.
    I have changed both filters and It didn't seem to help.
    I guess I need to go back to BRP oil and see what happens.

P.W.
    I don't know why your clutch is slipping but I can guarantee you it's not because of our oil. Our oil in the highest quality motorcycle oil you can buy made by Spectro Oil. We made sure it would meet or exceed all BRP's specs before would put our brand on it. We have thousands of kits out there with no issues. Testing was done by an independent oil company. You might want to get a hold of Spyderpops and ask him what he replaced in his clutch. He just got his 2020 RT back from the shop with clutch slipping issues and it turned out to be some plastic part that had failed. Nothing to do with the oil he used.
    https://spectro-oils.com/platinum-full-synthetic-4/
    Last edited by Lamonster; 04-25-2023 at 09:02 AM.

Spyder Garage

Got an XPS oil change kit from Amazon - 5w-40 I believe. Seems to have fixed the surging issue I've had on first startup/drive. Shifts seem a little sharper too, but that could just be fresh oil.

Up till now I was getting the oil change kits from Ron. Maybe mine just doesn't like the heavier oil.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange