Spyder Garage

Default Handlebars angle to the right - any way to adjust?

I have had my Spyder on the road for 160 miles of riding as of 3/26/22 and while it goes straight and handles fine, I notice that the handlebars favor the right side slightly. This Can Am was owned by an 80 year old and while the front paint is nicked I don't believe he hit any thing hard. Is there any way to adjust them to straight? Also as update to my other post under 9363, the first being a question about a Lowboy wind shield, I did find one that bolted on. It was a 15 inch brand new for 65.00 on Ebay, it was listed for a 2013 model. Then there was the second post about a new battery going dead after a few days, that one was returned, and a Wicked Start battery put in along with a battery tender. Although the seller listed the battery to fit my 2014 Can Am STS, the hold down on top had to be extended to work since the front of the battery is shaped differently. I listened to the answers from my post's, and made sure it was fully charged before use. All in all it starts fine for now.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like need check alignment very common problem all spyders, also depending on section of lane you ride in & drainage grade to divert water, might be amplifying the pull to right

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I don't feel any pull to the right at all, no drift to the side either. How could the alinement be checked without taking it to the dealer? Thanks Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where in NY state are you located? Netzley tire in Accord, NY does lazer alignments.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Also double check even air pressure, few diy alignment reported, suggested leaving to professionals.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 9363 View Post
    I don't feel any pull to the right at all, no drift to the side either. How could the alinement be checked without taking it to the dealer? Thanks Joe
    Without going to a dealer or somebody with the appropriate BUDS AND the skills & knowledge to do a 'proper' alignment, it probably can't!

If the front wheel alignment has been done without ensuring the handlebars are aimed straight ahead correctly, you can get an alignment that works OK but still leaves the bars a bit off-set.... the bad news about that is that it probably means the DPS sensor hasn't been properly set for 'Straight Ahead/Centre', so it's very likely that as you ride along, you are always fighting the electric power steering a bit, even if it's only a tiny & possibly unnoticeable bit! Only that's not good in the long run, as it will likely lead to an early DPS failure, and they are a bloody expensive piece of kit!!

So as Bfromla suggests, I'd be very carefully checking that your front tires are at very close to the same pressure; and if they are but you still have that slight bias, then as Joel has suggested, get your Spyder to Netzley Tires ASAP!! I'm pretty sure they do a full on & 'proper' laser wheel alignment, including ensuring the DPS is correctly centred & the handlebars pointing straight ahead!

So as I said, unless you can find someone else with the appropriate BUDS AND the appropriate skills & knowledge to do a 'proper' wheel alignment on a Spyder, then I doubt that anyone apart from a dealer would be able to do that DPS centering for you, even if you did find someone else who could do a laser alignment on a CanAm Spyder!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-27-2022 at 11:14 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Re the screen .

Its best to report on an earlier post on the actual thread you started. Donchya reckon???

Here
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...18#post1612218

And any others you started. If you can't find them, just click on 'My Threads/Posts' in the menu line above the Sponsor Ads at the top of the page.

Allburger posts just get messy.

+ 1 on the above post by Peter Aawen

Keep it 1 thing at a time.

please.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-28-2022 at 12:34 AM. Reason: If you can't find them.... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Good work Peter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Where in NY state are you located? Netzley tire in Accord, NY does lazer alignments.
    Thanks for the info, Joel. I am located in Westchester County, I will look up Netzley in Accord to see the distance form here.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2022 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Without going to a dealer or somebody with the appropriate BUDS AND the skills & knowledge to do a 'proper' alignment, it probably can't!

If the front wheel alignment has been done without ensuring the handlebars are aimed straight ahead correctly, you can get an alignment that works OK but still leaves the bars a bit off-set.... the bad news about that is that it probably means the DPS sensor hasn't been properly set for 'Straight Ahead/Centre', so it's very likely that as you ride along, you are always fighting the electric power steering a bit, even if it's only a tiny & possibly unnoticeable bit! Only that's not good in the long run, as it will likely lead to an early DPS failure, and they are a bloody expensive piece of kit!!

So as Bfromla suggests, I'd be very carefully checking that your front tires are at very close to the same pressure; and if they are but you still have that slight bias, then as Joel has suggested, get your Spyder to Netzley Tires ASAP!! I'm pretty sure they do a full on & 'proper' laser wheel alignment, including ensuring the DPS is correctly centred & the handlebars pointing straight ahead!

So as I said, unless you can find someone else with the appropriate BUDS AND the appropriate skills & knowledge to do a 'proper' wheel alignment on a Spyder, then I doubt that anyone apart from a dealer would be able to do that DPS centering for you, even if you did find someone else who could do a laser alignment on a CanAm Spyder!

Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Also double check even air pressure, few diy alignment reported, suggested leaving to professionals.
    No idea it is so involved, so I will get it checked. The tire pressure is the same on both sides. Thanks Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2022 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Re the screen .

Its best to report on an earlier post on the actual thread you started. Donchya reckon???

Here
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...18#post1612218

And any others you started. If you can't find them, just click on 'My Threads/Posts' in the menu line above the Sponsor Ads at the top of the page.

Allburger posts just get messy.

+ 1 on the above post by Peter Aawen

Keep it 1 thing at a time.

please.
    I will,Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-29-2022 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

+1 on Netzley doing the alignment. I'm 100 miles from them and ride past several dealers to have Netzley do the job right.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White