Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hut1 View Post
    Mike, I don't disagree with you at all. But I doubt if my one example of "less than a full tank" of 87 provides much support for your position.
    Well I'm not really looking for support ..... the Key word here is, IMHO .. NOTICEABLE ......;.. I don't like " seat of the pants " performance whether we're talking about Tires or Gas .... I'm a " show me the numbers " kind of guy ..... that's all ... nothing more - nothing less ....I respect everyone's right to have an opinion, and some I agree with and some I don't...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The combustion chamber design, the air/fuel flow design and flame front propagation are different on the two Spyder engines. The more current design of the later model 3 cylinder engines will allow for a lower octane rating under the same running conditions. An occasional good West Texas Tune up will go a long way to keep your steed in good running conditions.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    The combustion chamber design, the air/fuel flow design and flame front propagation are different on the two Spyder engines. The more current design of the later model 3 cylinder engines will allow for a lower octane rating under the same running conditions. An occasional good West Texas Tune up will go a long way to keep your steed in good running conditions.
    What is a 'West Texas Tune-Up'? And does it include running over a few armadillos? Seems to be a popular pastime in those parts.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have to watch those armadillos you know.......................

A West Texas tune up is running your vehicle up to the red line thru the gears, ie full throttle thru the gears, thru the first four in any event. Helps to keep things cleaned out. Combustion chamber, rings, valves, fuel system and exhaust. Just make sure you, no cops, etc. Heck, it's also a lota fun.

Can't really do it in the first two gears because because my rear tire wants to brake loose, but 3rd 4th and 5th work great.
    Last edited by old Timer; 11-03-2023 at 02:46 PM.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Have to watch those armadillos you know.......................

A West Texas tune up is running your vehicle up to the red line thru the gears, ie full throttle thru the gears, thru the first four in any event. Helps to keep things cleaned out. Combustion chamber, rings, valves, fuel system and exhaust. Just make sure you, no cops, etc. Heck, it's also a lota fun.

Can't really do it in the first two gears because because my rear tire wants to brake loose, but 3rd 4th and 5th work great.
    That is what I thought it would be.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Heck, I've done that forever but didn't know it was called West Texas tune. I'm from Michigan originally and just called it blowing out the carbon and hoping not to break Dad's car doing it.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

After a long ride through the mountains today, I got pretty low on gas, so I pulled into the gas station and the only 100% gas they had was 90 Octane "horror of horrors" LOL! I actually made it home before I had a piston come through the case from "Pinging" Lol
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-03-2023 at 10:11 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmoetorhead View Post
    After a long ride through the mountains today, I got pretty low on gas, so I pulled into the gas station and the only 100% gas they had was 90 Octane "horror of horrors" LOL! I actually made it home before I had a piston come through the case from "Pinging" Lol
    Nice try.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmoetorhead View Post
    I've been told it's the pre-detonation you don't hear that's most destructive. Kind of like the bullet you don't hear.

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crtsteve55 View Post
    All
    Doing a 600 mile, many overnights, trip with our new (to us) 2013 Spyder ST/S the first of April. Wondering if using 87 Octane gas vs. 91 will change the performance during this trip. I think it was recommended either in owner manual or I picked up on the web to use 91. It will help on the money side a bit. Also this bike’s fuel gauge is off some. When it shows a half tank I put more than 3 gallons in to top off. Has anyone run into this with their gauge?
    I had to use cheap, low-octane fuel in an emergency.

Performance was neglible; however, if I was riding two-up or hauling a trailer or riding up steep grades, it might make more of a difference. <shrugs>
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    I had to use cheap, low-octane fuel in an emergency.

Performance was neglible; however, if I was riding two-up or hauling a trailer or riding up steep grades, it might make more of a difference. <shrugs>
    I carry two small bottles of octane boost should I get caught in a situation like that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I've never said that running premium fuel was 'Necessary'. I agree with all those who say that you can run low octane fuel without any issues. Though the ethanol component can be problematic.

However, from the testing I've done, I have proven to myself that performance and fuel mileage is improved by running premium fuel (whether ethanol or non-ethanol). This from a 5,000 mile + test on my 998. Granted, it was summer and warm weather. Most of it was not high altitude. But it was quite conclusive. I simply report my findings. Others say they haven't noticed any difference. I can't say I noticed any seat of the pants difference either. It is the carefully kept data over the span of 28 tanks of fuel on that trip I am referencing with my comments.

As far as service. We don't see anything we do at the shop as 'Special'. We ride. You ride. We get it. We see customers as friends. And try to send bikes out as if they were our own. Actually, we don't take as good a care of ours as we do customer's. We just don't have the time anymore! But the kind words are greatly appreciated. We enjoy what we do.
    The question I would ask is, did the increase mileage off-set the higher price of the high-octane gas? I run 87 in just about everything that hits the highway. Chain saw, pressure washer, and gas golf cart get 100% gas from the local Co Op in Washington. Arizona does not have 100% gas except very expensive racing fuel.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2023 at 07:09 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    The question I would ask is, did the increase mileage off-set the higher price of the high-octane gas? I run 87 in just about everything that hits the highway. Chain saw, pressure washer, and gas golf cart get 100% gas from the local Co Op in Washington. Arizona does not have 100% gas except very expensive racing fuel.
    Well, it depends what the price difference is between 87 and 91 oct, and how much you gain using 91 oct. .... in Vermont it's about .70 cents higher for 91 (both grades have Ethyl) ... Math is not my forte', maybe someone here can figure it out using Ron's MPG's ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2023 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    No, I averaged a little better than 10% with premium. That won't offset the higher price. If cost is primary, then regular is your choice.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2023 at 07:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

I've had 5 Spyders over the years and tested each one with the 87 vs 91 octane and there was absolutely no difference in performance or MPG, etc. on all of them!
    My present 2023 RT Limited runs like a dream on 87 octane.
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    No, I averaged a little better than 10% with premium. That won't offset the higher price. If cost is primary, then regular is your choice.
    Ron, here's a fact, you'll never convince the naysayers that you can get more MPG out of 91 than 87. Obviously, we know how to do it and they don't. It's not rocket science, it's just all in the wrist. And, it doesn't stop with just MPG, it includes tires, brakes, and all the wearables. Now this may be a stretch, but I would include "safety" as well. I'd also go so far as to say that I think spyder riders are generally the most cautious, experienced and safest operators on the pavement. Age and experience may factor greatly into that.

Spyder Garage

It has always been my experience that I get approx. 5-10% better mpg using non ethanol fuel versus 10% ethanol. 100% gas has more energy than corn gas. That said, the difference is way offset by pump cost. In my area, 100% gas (91 oct) is approx. .75 more/gallon.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just took another look at my gas numbers from June 1 to September 31 for both 2016 and 2017. Both summers were similar driving habits and conditions. In 2016 I rode 8171 miles and used 275.81 gallons of 91 octane. In 2017 I rode 8155 miles and used 274.92 gallons of 87 octane. So, for 2016 I had 29.625 MPG on 91 and for 2017 I had 29.663 MPG on 87. 87 octane gave me 0.0375 better MPG! That was a whopping 0.13% improvement! Virtually all of the gas was ethanol based.

Ron's numbers are for a 998 engine and mine for a 1330 engine. I think engine design is a factor in why Ron, and other 998 owners, have experienced better mileage with 91 octane.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    It has always been my experience that I get approx. 5-10% better mpg using non ethanol fuel versus 10% ethanol. 100% gas has more energy than corn gas. That said, the difference is way offset by pump cost. In my area, 100% gas (91 oct) is approx. .75 more/gallon.
    A big part of the reason that ethanol fuel is less expensive at the pump is that it is subsidized by you and I. (same source, different pocket). No such subsidy for straight gas. It is actually cheaper to make gasoline than it is to make ethanol. It also takes more energy to make a gallon of ethanol than it does to make a gallon of gasoline. And guess what they use to make the ethanol? You guessed it, fossil fuels!

It's a crazy world...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

Ron's numbers are for a 998 engine and mine for a 1330 engine. I think engine design is a factor in why Ron, and other 998 owners, have experienced better mileage with 91 octane.
    There is that!

The 998 engines are designed and tuned as high revving high performance engines with a fairly tight (& high) power band in a wide rev range, peaking well up into the 8000's; while the 1330 engines are designed and tuned as slower revving high torque engines with a pretty wide & flattish torque band in a shorter rev range, peaking in the 5,000's.... I can't recall if there's any difference between the two in compression ratio as well, and I'm not anywhere near a ready source of that info, but I suspect there'll be some difference... With any luck, someone here will be able to chime in & tell us all what the compression ratios are and if there's any significant difference?!

Still, given the above it's not all that surprising that the 998 engine's notice the difference in octane rating more than the 1330's - high revving high performance engines and their 'higher/tighter' state of tune generally means that they are more critically reactive to any changes in the things that let them work at their best; while slower revving 'lazier' engines tend to run a less critical/more forgiving state of tune and so are far more tolerant of any variations in any/all of the variables like octane rating, altitude, fuel temperature, ambient temperature etc...

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2023 at 06:41 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I just took another look at my gas numbers from June 1 to September 31 for both 2016 and 2017. Both summers were similar driving habits and conditions. In 2016 I rode 8171 miles and used 275.81 gallons of 91 octane. In 2017 I rode 8155 miles and used 274.92 gallons of 87 octane. So, for 2016 I had 29.625 MPG on 91 and for 2017 I had 29.663 MPG on 87. 87 octane gave me 0.0375 better MPG! That was a whopping 0.13% improvement! Virtually all of the gas was ethanol based.

??? I average 34 MPG +/- tenths regularly with 87 octane. And I like jacket rabbit starts and going vroom vroom, and when not doing that I run on CC.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    From what I can remember the Ethanol has about 30% less energy than gasoline. So for 10% Ethanol you are going to lose about 30% of the energy for that 10%. So for a gallon of gas you are going to only have about 97% of the energy you would have on 100% gas versus the 10% Ethanol blend.

So, in reality, you might just notice the difference if you were a drag racer, but on the street I certainly cannot tell the difference.

The difference I do notice is the 15% less power I get for living at 5,000 feet.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

My Spyder gets a little bit better MPG on higher octane fuels. This justifies paying more pennies per gallon. I've been riding for over 50 years and my opinion is that performance and acceleration are better with higher octane fuel.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2024 at 06:45 PM. Reason: for for ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HSCRandy View Post
    My Spyder gets a little bit better MPG on higher octane fuels. This justifies paying more pennies per gallon. I've been riding for over 50 years and my opinion is that performance and acceleration are better with higher octane fuel.
    Don't worry it happens to the best of us! replying to old post sometimes enlightens us!! Always check the posting date in the top left corner of the post.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2024 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HSCRandy View Post
    "pennies per gallon" .... in Vt. it's about 70 pennies more for 91.... 40 more for 89 .... As for improved performance/acceleration .....can you give me a % for that improvement or actual Dyno numbers? .....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-17-2024 at 06:44 PM.