Spyder Garage

Default Time for a new Handle?

I have been Navydad on all of my forums for over 20 years for a pretty obvious reason. Well, our son is now retired Navy and has taken a job in of all places, Greenland. He will be one of a six man team that maintains a place called Summit Station Research Facility above the arctic circle and at 10,000 feet altitude. I have no clue what he was thinking, but he has been in negotiations with this company for awhile and will make very good money. Six months over the winter there and six months over the summer home. Summer (Ha) months will see up to 50 researchers there, but winter will be just the small maintenance team. He said he has worked in the hottest places on earth so he needed to give the coldest ones a try. I told him to go for it, but I'm not changing my Handle to Crazysonsdad.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Do what is right for you.

Your son's choice, not for the faint hearted, but good for him anyway.

For nine years, 2010 to 2019, I was akspyderman on the site. Moved to Arkansas in 2019. Now, I am ARtraveler. Did not seem to affect anything with me or the account. I did put AKA akspyderman in my account heading so people would know about the change.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Here is a pic of his new digs during the summer months. Even as a boy he was always ready for an adventure so I wasn't surprised when he finally took the job. I told him to go for it or he would always wonder if it was the job for him. He liked the Navy and the travel involved, but at 20 years in they wanted to put him behind a desk and he wanted nothing to do with that so he retired and the adventures continue.

greenland_summit_oblique.jpg
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

sorry about the re-run
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    sorry about the re-run
    Fixed it for you!

I reckon your son will enjoy most of the new job, and with any luck, all the good bits will make up for the bits he doesn't enjoy quite so much. But you're absolutely right - if he doesn't give it a go, he'll always wonder..... and (my apologies to NT Tourism ) he'll never never know if he never ever goes!

Besides, living behind a desk is just not living for some of us!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Looks like a nice place to live in the Summer. One positive thing to me, NO GRASS TO CUT.

Spyder Garage

I told him there would be a pretty girl behind every tree
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Yesterday the weather cleared enough to fly the C130 up to Summit Station with three new guys and a load of supplies. Greetings from the top of the world. The selfie was taken just before boarding for the flight up to Summit. Oh yeah, it is -15 this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Navydad; 04-02-2022 at 10:35 AM.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I have been Navydad on all of my forums for over 20 years for a pretty obvious reason. Well, our son is now retired Navy and has taken a job in of all places, Greenland. He will be one of a six man team that maintains a place called Summit Station Research Facility above the arctic circle and at 10,000 feet altitude. I have no clue what he was thinking, but he has been in negotiations with this company for awhile and will make very good money. Six months over the winter there and six months over the summer home. Summer (Ha) months will see up to 50 researchers there, but winter will be just the small maintenance team. He said he has worked in the hottest places on earth so he needed to give the coldest ones a try. I told him to go for it, but I'm not changing my Handle to Crazysonsdad.
    I'm a little thick b/c the very first time you mentioned changing your screen name (a while back) I had thought you were or had been in the Navy and you were a dad; but, that's just me and my thinking b/c I had been in the Navy. If I can ask a question, is your son married? If this not an appropriate question, moderators please pull it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I'm a little thick b/c the very first time you mentioned changing your screen name (a while back) I had thought you were or had been in the Navy and you were a dad; but, that's just me and my thinking b/c I had been in the Navy. If I can ask a question, is your son married? If this not an appropriate question, moderators please pull it.
    Married with two teenage boys. You, me, and many others wonder how this relationship works. I have no clue, but they have been married for 18 years I believe. They met in Norfolk in his second year in the Navy and have been together ever since. He spent five years based in Jacksonville so they were together there and they were together for three years while he ran the recruiting office here in his home town. They are used to him being gone and for them it just works. Stranger things have happened I guess
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Darn adventurous Navy kids. Our son was also in the Navy, stationed on Whidbey Island. Loved it there. He is out of the Navy and found a flight paramedic job at Coupville, on Whidbey Island. Loves the PNW and his job. Now if I could only talk my wife into riding the Spyder from Iowa to Whidbey Island.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Flight ops this morning. -30 out. Plane (twin otter) landed in no man's land had to send snowmobile out to go retrieve and guide him into the ski way

image000003.jpg
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Flight ops this morning. -30 out. Plane (twin otter) landed in no man's land had to send snowmobile out to go retrieve and guide him into the ski way

image000003.jpg
    I started shivering just looking at the pic.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great snowmobile country, wish him the best.

Spyder Garage

Flight operations again today. Spring has sprung and it is a balmy 0 degrees. Science geeks and supplies arriving for the summer. Won't be long until the temps will be topping out in the mid 20's.
    Flight Ops..jpg
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Well, after six months off it was time to return to work last week. Jeremy is one of a team of five that will spend the winter at Summit Station. Their job? Keep the place from freezing up and blowing away so the researchers have a place to go next spring. He will be home in March.

307078232_8367854309899083_1134247918673016209_n.jpg
    2015 RT , Black