Spyder Garage

Default Old Habits die Hard

I'm approaching one year as a Spyder rider, after 37 years of riding motorcycles. I'm finding that although it only took a very short time to feel comfortable on the 3 wheeler, some old habits die hard. I've ridden the Spyder about 4,000 miles so far, and sometimes still reach of the non-existent clutch lever when slowing down. Occasionally when stepping on the brake pedal, I find myself reaching for a front brake lever that isn't there. And avoiding obstacles in the road is certainly more demanding. I find I can avoid hitting things with my two front wheels, but almost forget about that back wheel in the middle of the bike. Ran over a dead raccoon this morning, but without any problem. My final old habit which shows up at times, is the motorcycle habit of riding in the left third of the lane. I mostly remember to ride in the middle of the lane, but occasionally notice my left wheel getting all too close to the center line. Just some observations at the 9 month mark.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

That's all muscle memory, Vito, I am just glad to hear, that you are aware of it.... , I started my first ride, on the 1st of januari, and had to think, how the starting procedure was again...
    took me 2 or 3 secs, to get it right...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I have a similar two wheel background and experiences on three wheels. Road obstacles are a greater challenge to negotiate on three wheels. I still like to ride on the left side of the lane and move to the right side for oncoming traffic when the lane is narrow. A lot of the roads I ride are bumpy in the center of the lane, so straddling the center with a front and rear wheel makes for a more comfortable ride. Muscle memory faded quickly for me. Gaining the reverse gear and losing the kickstand is good!
    2021 Sea to Sky

Mods: Pedal Commander, RLS Black Ceramic Coated Cat Delete, Passenger Armrests, Driver Backrest, FOBO TPMS, Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn, Foam Handgrips

Spyder Garage

Yeah, takes a long time to develop new habits that do the job without thinking. When I bought the Spyder, I only switched from a single front wheel Harley trike to the Spyder dual fronts. Had been riding the old home-built Harley Sportster Trike for about 20 years. Reaching for clutch, and brake levers was about the worst habits to break. About 5,000 miles before the Spyder the controls came without any conscious thought.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I had a muscle memory moment last year, my first year on a Spyder after 20 years of motorcycling.

Reached for both clutch lever and front brake lever to slow down during a U-turn. Neither one being there, my brain fuzzed and couldn't remember what to do instead, and unfortunately I rear-ended my husband's F3-T.

An expensive and embarrassing lesson.
    Last edited by Woodswoman; 03-22-2022 at 04:20 PM.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

More miles will slowly drain most habits. After 19k mi, I still look for exit routes in front of me that only 2 wheels could fit in before I remember I'm riding a parade float!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    More miles will slowly drain most habits. After 19k mi, I still look for exit routes in front of me that only 2 wheels could fit in before I remember I'm riding a parade float!
    parade float!....Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

you said everything I would have said.... exactly the same way. and I started in July of 2021 ... so I know your right.
    2011 RTS Spyder

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I'm approaching one year as a Spyder rider, after 37 years of riding motorcycles. I'm finding that although it only took a very short time to feel comfortable on the 3 wheeler, some old habits die hard. I've ridden the Spyder about 4,000 miles so far, and sometimes still reach of the non-existent clutch lever when slowing down. Occasionally when stepping on the brake pedal, I find myself reaching for a front brake lever that isn't there. And avoiding obstacles in the road is certainly more demanding. I find I can avoid hitting things with my two front wheels, but almost forget about that back wheel in the middle of the bike. Ran over a dead raccoon this morning, but without any problem. My final old habit which shows up at times, is the motorcycle habit of riding in the left third of the lane. I mostly remember to ride in the middle of the lane, but occasionally notice my left wheel getting all too close to the center line. Just some observations at the 9 month mark.
    Welcome to the club....I have been riding 2 wheels since I was 14 I am now 80 "all most' AND I STILL REACH FOR THE CLUTCH AND BRAKE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used to put my feet down when I no longer had to.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    you said everything I would have said.... exactly the same way. and I started in July of 2021 ... so I know your right.
    I started out on 3 wheels in 2014 and I've done everything that's mentioned above, and I'm still doing it. Geezzzzzz when will it stop?

Spyder Garage

And for those of us who still ride 2 wheels occasionally--------- Hope I don't forget to put my feet down at a stop on the old, slow V-Max

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Vito, the best way I have found to miss something reasonably small with the back tire is to put it under my foot. That's almost the middle between the front and rear tire. Forget who posted this, but it works.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Vito, the best way I have found to miss something reasonably small with the back tire is to put it under my foot. That's almost the middle between the front and rear tire. Forget who posted this, but it works.

~~~ ditto

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I guess riding a shy-prone horse for so many years before 2-wheel, then 3-wheel bikes created a muscle memory I am thankful for. Makes your body “ready” to circumvent quick unexpected moves by the vehicle…like this Spyder RTL..various unseen road anomalies which, at speed, grab the Spyder’s front tire (either one) and try to force the machine either into the ditch or oncoming traffic on a 2-lane unless you muscle to keep it on the path. This is about the only thing I dislike about the 2-up-front vehicle. I never had this happen on my traditional 2-in-back Gold Wing trike. Otherwise.. I like this machine. Additionally, in almost 6000 miles now I am past reaching for the hand-brake but still think they need to include one… Carla
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Your not alone. Riding legal from 1972. Im trying to develop a whole new mindset for the Spyder. In 9 days of ownership I seem to have got no feet down at the stop. Clutch most times. But I really miss the front brake lever. Having to lift the foot and then apply the brake takes longer. But oh boy it works. I regard as a trade off for the quick shifting 6 speed.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default It Comes with Time

... I know about the Spyder learning curve. But it all comes with Time. For some people it may take a few months. Others may need help with this process.

I am doing good and enjoying the time and 'wind therapy'.
    My curve was just at 2 months and 1,000 miles. ...
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

We got our Spyder in the fall of 2017 and now at a little shy of 10K miles. The last big hurdle for transitioning is that I still reach for a front brake lever from time to time. I guess that's not too bad seeing as how I started riding two-wheelers in 1968 and am still riding them a lot more than the Spyder with my total mileage on bikes and the Spyder now at just over 500K miles.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)