Spyder Garage

Default Newbie in Alberta - needs buying advice/help please?

Howdy all, new guy here,

After 20 years on 2 wheels I think it's time for me to go to 3 wheels. I'm in St Albert, Alberta (Borders Edmonton) and I have a couple questions about the local buying process for a new Spyder RT. I've searched this forum and dozens of websites and I've watched dozens of you tube videos but I have some specific questions that my efforts haven't answered. Any help would be most appreciated:
    - Can you dicker/negotiate the price as with a car or is it a take it or leave it situation?
    - Is there a place in or near Edmonton to rent a Spyder for half or a full day to see if I like it?
    - If no to the previous question, does anyone know someone who might take me out on their Spyder, show me the ropes then let me drive for an hour or two? I would of course pay for this.
    - Is there a Spyder rider group in the Edmonton area (and if so please provide contact information)?
    -Any advice on which dealership to go through. I'm willing to go as far as Calgary.

Thanks again
    Last edited by LimaNiner; 03-21-2022 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Good suggestion from a long time member to change post name
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just a suggestion. Change your thread title to use the word "Alberta" in it. Like, Newbie in Alberta needs help please. Or something close to that. It may catch more eyes of spyder riders in your area. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Price Negotiation.........Depends on the dealer and how good you are.

Someone else will have to help with the rest.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Just a suggestion. Change your thread title to use the word "Alberta" in it. Like, Newbie in Alberta needs help please. Or something close to that. It may catch more eyes of spyder riders in your area. Good luck.
    Good idea, thanks. Now I just have to figure out how to do that.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2022 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Price Negotiation.........Depends on the dealer and how good you are.

Someone else will have to help with the rest.
    Thanks for your reply pegasus 1300. Given the name pegasus, were you a military jumper?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2022 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    Thanks for your reply pegasus 1300. Given the name pegasus, were you a military jumper?
    No I showed horses until I discovered Hot Rods and girls. Then discovered motorcycles. They always reminded me of steel horses, so Pegasus.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Howdy all, new guy here,

After 20 years on 2 wheels I think it's time for me to go to 3 wheels. Can you dicker/negotiate the price as with a car or is it a take it or leave it situation?
    - Is there a place in or near Edmonton to rent a Spyder for half or a full day to see if I like it?
    Thanks again
    You can try calling some local dealers to see if they have any demo Spyders available for you to take a spin on, a lot of dealers do. But I doubt they will let you take it out for a few hours.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Good idea, thanks. Now I just have to figure out how to do that.

As you may or may not have noticed Seagull, you'll only change the post title & not the Thread Title if you just use the basic edit facility to edit your post.... you need to click on 'Go Advanced' and then change the Title field to make a change that others will see & that will show on the index page - so I've sorta combined what was there & what you had put on your post via edit in order to give you the thread title that' there now & which everyone will see on the 'New Posts', 'What's New', or 'Today's Posts' searches &/or the Forum/sub-forum index pages: it is now "Seagulls, Newbie in Alberta - needs buying advice/help please?"

Just another note or two while I'm here:
    1. While everyone will be able to see the main Thread Title on the applicable index pages, in search results, & at the top of the thread itself, not everyone will see any 'title' that you put on anything after the first post in any thread, so please, if you put any info/detail in that post title field that's important or might help the rest of your posted reply make any sense, include it in the post's text proper too; and
    2. It always pays to try to briefly state your question in the Thread Title, cos after all, that's the ONLY way you get to invite people to come on in & have a look, maybe to answer your question/s.... if the thread title doesn't do that, then you won't get as many viewers & you won't be helping anyone searching for the same sort of info later on either!!

Over to you, and Happy Searching, Demo Ryding, & Negotiating your purchase of a Spyder. I hope it doesn't take you too long and that you get the deal your after - and that we'll get to see the pics of your new ryde here on the Forum very soon!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Howdy all, new guy here,

After 20 years on 2 wheels I think it's time for me to go to 3 wheels. I'm in St Albert, Alberta (Borders Edmonton) and I have a couple questions about the local buying process for a new Spyder RT. I've searched this forum and dozens of websites and I've watched dozens of you tube videos but I have some specific questions that my efforts haven't answered. Any help would be most appreciated:
    - Can you dicker/negotiate the price as with a car or is it a take it or leave it situation?
    - If no to the previous question, does anyone know someone who might take me out on their Spyder, show me the ropes then let me drive for an hour or two? I would of course pay for this.
    - Is there a Spyder rider group in the Edmonton area (and if so please provide contact information)?
    -Any advice on which dealership to go through. I'm willing to go as far as Calgary.

Thanks again
    Sorry Seagull....I’m not familiar with Spyder dealers in The Edmonton area, of anywhere else in Alberta for that matter. As for dickering....they’re a dealer, what else is there to say other than it’s a sellers market so they may not be willing to “negotiate”. You have not stated what you rode during the past 20 years....cruisers, tourers, sport bikes, or....? What are you wanting in the Spyder line. An Rt, an F series, a Ryker? The more info you can post, the more chances of a helpful reply. Who knows, there may be am Alberta resident with a unit for sale. Back to you....

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

You may want to look into the Can Am Rider class. That will give you the chance to try out the different models and learn the oddities of reverse trikes.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Negotiation should be a part of each deal. They won't give it to you if you do not ask.

Bad news...of late, it appears very difficult to find a "deal of a lifetime." The dealers all claim Covid, supply shortages, difficulty in getting orders filled from BRP...etc. etc. At the moment, it is a "sellers" market.

I would at least recommend going to more than one dealer. Don't tell them you are new at this. They just love to hear that. I think that leaves the door open for bad deals.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seagull, I was in a little different position than you when I bought my spyder. I've been on 2 wheels since I was about 10/12 year old. I went to 3 wheels because of health issues. Knowing what I know "now" about spyders, I would search the market both on this site, craig's list, cycle trader, facebook, and more. There are some great buys out there and I'd fly, crawl or walk to get one and save money. Being that you are new to the spyder world you're at a bit of a disadvantage. There are some guys on here that can really help you make a wise purchase. I've heard that RTs and F3s from 2014 to about 2017 are the best choices and have the fewest amount of troubles. Hopefully, some of the more knowledgeable folks will chime in here and give you more direction. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Hi Seagull

I am in Calgary, I purchased my 2022 RT Limited in Red Deer last Nov. (hoping for delivery by mid April). Prior to purchasing I took 2 long test rides as switching from 2 wheel riding for more then 45 years, my wife and I wanted to see what 3 wheels would be like. Although it is a completely different experience, it still allowed us to be out in the open air and we loved it. I would not have purchased if I was not able to go for a test ride.

Now as for negotiations, well ARtraveler summed it up best, "Bad news...of late, it appears very difficult to find a "deal of a lifetime." The dealers all claim Covid, supply shortages, difficulty in getting orders filled from BRP...etc. etc. At the moment, it is a "sellers" market. I was able to still deal on installed accessories. Now that it is 5 months later, prices have risen and supply is even harder to get for dealers as sales have been very good in the area.

You have 2 dealers in Edmonton, (both Edmonton shops I believe are under the same ownership), 1 in Red Deer and 1 in Calgary. Now I can tell you there was a $1,900.00 price difference between Red Deer dealer and Calgary, thus I ended up purchasing in Red Deer.

To answer your question about rider groups I to have been looking. I did find a couple of Alberta rider groups on Facebook. One is call Alberta Spyder Ryders and the other Alberta Spyder Riders (note the spelling differences).

Good luck with the Spyder shopping.

Randy
    2022 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

As far as Negotiating, it will be harder now with the supply and demand issues globally. You may be better off trying to get some add ons like extended warranty etc.. or buy used and negotiate with a private seller that may need to get out from under finacial obligation or just simply wants to sell and move on. I was at my dealer a few days ago, they have zero stock. Everything they have coming in is already spoken for and delayed at least six weeks. There is litterly no reason for them to negotiate.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Hi Seagull, TNT motorcycle training in Edmonton used to offer a one evening training course using BRP supplied Rykers for a reasonable price. We live near Wainwright and took the training a few years back in Edmonton. I looked on their web site, and it appears as though they no longer offer the training, pretty sure it was a BRP promotion a few years back. You could always contact them and see if they are planning to resurrect the training now that Covid restrictions are pretty much lifted in Alberta. Good Luck!
    2021 RTL , metallic chalk

Spyder Garage

Hi Randy,

First, thank you very, very much for you excellent reply. Second, I typed a response to you but as I was finishing it simply disappeared. I don't think I hit the send reply button but if I did I apologize for sending it twice.

I was considering trying Turple Brothers but had pretty much talked myself out of it. Your reply gave me good reason to reverse that so I will visit Friday.

This past Tuesday I put a $500 hold on a 2022 RT Limited in Deep Marsala Metallic. No documents were signed and the deposit simply holds that one until I can get out on their demo to see if I like it. If not I simply walk away with my $500.

Thanks again Randy. If you have any further advice please let me know. You can either reply again or call me at 780-298-4463. Take care.

Pat
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get ahold of Joe from Squared Away and see if they are going to be anywhere near you in the future. They are involved in a BRP demo tour.

Spyder Garage

This was great advice 2dogs. While I'm a member of spyderlovers, I'm pretty inactive during the winter. I did a google search this morning for "Alberta Spyder groups" and was promptly directed to this thread. I live minutes from Seagull and will be having coffee with him in a couple days.

I'm wondering how he'll like my ride? He has been riding cruisers

20190523_131332_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by Phloid; 03-24-2022 at 03:01 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Howdy all, new guy here,

Thanks again
    Hi Seagull,
    Have just received my 2022 Spyder RT Ltd chrome edition in red, which I ordered last September . I got mine from Turple bros in Reddeer as the Calgary store was not willing to drop his price & they offered me a better price discount of $2000!
    Which went part the ways to paying for the stinger trailer I also bought to transport the bike behind my motor home. I’m hearing from some other spyder lovers that there are a couple of dealers in the Edmonton area who are able to get hold of bikes, but good luck as the supply chain is very limited, and most bikes that they have are already spoken for!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2022 at 08:07 PM. Reason: edition
    2022 RT Ltd , Extension wire on accessory plug 2” extension pedal. Marsala red

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkertaylor View Post
    Howdy all, new guy here,

Thanks again
    Hi Seagull,
    Have just received my 2022 Spyder RT Ltd chrome edition in red, which I ordered last September . I got mine from Turple bros in Reddeer as the Calgary store was not willing to drop his price & they offered me a better price discount of $2000!
    Which went part the ways to paying for the stinger trailer I also bought to transport the bike behind my motor home. I’m hearing from some other spyder lovers that there are a couple of dealers in the Edmonton area who are able to get hold of bikes, but good luck as the supply chain is very limited, and most bikes that they have are already spoken for!
    First off, I’m not in Alberta. I’m in BC, so unable to answer all of your questions. You have answered one of the ?’s yourself. You got a better price at Turple Bros. Not many dealers will move during these times. ‘Cause there are just NO units out there. As much as I like Turple Bros I’m surprised that they dickered on the price. If they are as good a dealer as they were 30 to 40 years ago, that’s where all my dealings would be for Alberta. Good luck on the rest.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2022 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display??

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Seagull, you might want to take the BRP CanAm Spyder bike course, which is done in Reddeer by FPM motorcycle training,
    It’s only a day long event & costs $199 , with bike provided if you don’t have one. My wife just took it a few weeks ago & found it very informative & helped her get over her nervousness that she was having being a new bike rider!
    This is the only course in Alberta that is BRP approved. Regards Stephen.
    2022 RT Ltd , Extension wire on accessory plug 2” extension pedal. Marsala red