Spyder Garage

Default Grill removal and clean up. Radiators clean.

Ha! Found the battery. It appears to be well labeled.

20220320_160748.jpg

So I removed the front grill set up by removing the 4 screws.
    I noticed the wire screen appeared to be looking a little rusty.
    Thinking I will pull off those " speed clips" that attach the steel grill to the plastic housing.
    Clean it up with a wire brush, wipe it down with some Iso and repaint it with some Rust Killer and top coat in a can I have handy.

Anybody been through this?
    Any tips?

Also going to give give cavity a general clean up and gently clean out the radiators while the paint is drying.

SCA_125302_hi-res.jpg

FWIW the paint seems to work very well on my metal projects in the past.
    Claims.

Rust-inhibiting protective coating.

Single pack application.
    An advanced, anti-corrosive epoxy formula.
    Provides durability and maximum metal protection in an attractive gloss finish.
    Apply directly to new and lightly rusted steel and wrought iron without priming.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Wow 80 odd views and not 1 comment.
    Outstanding!

Oh well.
    Finished the service on one of my other bikes. All done except a clean .

So getting into this grill tomorrow.

I will take some photos along the way.

Those clips look like they will just pry off.
    Here's hoping...

Spyder Garage

Those clips, will indeed pry right off, I made a new one from stainless steel, and spraypainted it black. You can buy this in several shapes and sizes (the gaps, I mean), from any good hardwarestore, and if you are a bit handy with the clippers, it's an easy job to do. at first my thoughts were, not to paint it, but then it just sticks out like a sore thumb.. I really don't like shiny bits on a triple black spyder
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Wow 80 odd views and not 1 comment.
    Outstanding!

Oh well......

Here's hoping...

80 views isn't really all that many in the overall scheme of things here Isoped, but I suspect there's also at least some degree of jealousy at how CLEAN your 'before' shots show that area to be on your Spyder in comparison to many others, if not most others...

So some who've viewed your thread might not be answering (yet?) just because they really don't want to reveal that they opened the 'behind the grille' area on their Spyders & then quickly shut it again before throwing up at the mess it revealed ... while some others may not be replying because they've never even thought about cleaning in there until now & don't want to reveal that oversight!!

But seriously, this isn't faceache where many people will post up any crap just to see their name on the screen; and it's the beginning of the week/end of the weekend for most, and many members won't have even looked at the Forum yet/over the last couple of days, they've been too busy ryding/getting ready to ryde/planning their next ryde/recovering from their last bit of ryding!

So you shouldn't really worry too much about not getting more views &/or replies until your post has been up until at least next weekend &/or scored a couple of hundred views - any fewer views than that is probably just the 40 or so of us who HAVE checked out your thread & pics so far (see the list of 41 members to date who've read this thread down the bottom of the page. ) coming back for a second or third look & maybe thinking about posting a reply; but if you don't have any replies by the time you get up over 2 or 3 hundred views &/or the same number of members who've actually read the thread, then you might want to consider revising your thread title to briefly state your question in the title, or at least to better reflect what you actually want from the thread in there... or something else?!?

Hang in there, it's a Forum, so while you'll generally get better results here in due course than on other forms of social media (that are more aimed at 'instant gratification' rather than considered opinions & helpful advice, knowledge, & experience ) these things can take a little time!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2022 at 02:10 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

All done. I used a tool that came with a boxed selection of push pins to remove the clips. There were 5 tabs vacant and where additional clips could be fitted, which hold the grill to the grill. There were 2 types of clips. So here are some photos which may be of use to someone if they want to have a crack at this.

20220322_085908.jpg 20220322_085414.jpg20220322_085218.jpg20220322_110616.jpg20220322_113031.jpg

So I post this. Hope it assists someone someday.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 03-22-2022 at 01:40 AM.

Spyder Garage

If I had that style bike, I would look into putting some kind of filter behind that screen like some on here have done, to cut down on some of that crud getting into the radiators!! But other than that, I would say good job well done.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I was thinking I would make it part on my Annual service. Like remove that grill and clean , also hose out the radiators.

I noticed mine had 5 posts seemingly waiting for a clip.

What are those clips called?

Spyder Garage

The solution I found that works well for bug to radiator prevention on my F3, was to wrap black nylon window screen around the front of the grill securing it on the backside then remounting the grill. Annually, I remove the grill and clean the screen and wax/polish all the plastic behind the grill making an easy clean up of accumulated gunk...if any. During riding season, it's easy to clean bugs off of the screen's front. In my instance, the screen has never caused any indication of lessening of airflow to cause a rise in engine temperature.

IMG_2717.jpgUnknown-1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Himm. Interesting. Got any photos of the install of the back prior to mounting it back up. Or a link.

Spyder Garage

I don't have any back side photos. I used black Gorilla Tape (a super sticky, and strong, type of "duct" tape) to secure the screen on the back of the grill in various places. You can see the black tape on the front side corners in the photos. These pieces cover up a cut in the screen to help make it fit tight against the grill. It was a play as you go project and has worked well to keep the radiators bug free. This will be the third riding season I've used this method.

I want to add that there are small slits in the screen, at the four corners, to be able to remount the grill with it's bolts/screws.
    Last edited by VitoNam; 03-22-2022 at 12:33 PM.

Spyder Garage
    2018 F3s, 2016 versys 650LT, 2001 concours 1000

Spyder Garage

If it works and makes it look better at the same time it's a good mod. Well done
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk/Black

Spyder Garage

I attached window screen BEHIND the grille. Out of sight!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

So just messing about and I see I neglected the info on the clips.

Here is the info I found:

Garnish Interior Trim Bezel & Scuff Plate Clips For GM seems to fit.

I did a post here if ya interested.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...is-clip-called
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-14-2023 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Ineglec... - I neglec... + ' 's ;-)