Spyder Garage

Default Anybody done a Battery re-location on 2011 Spyder?

Would be interested to know if anybody has done a battery re-location. I have a 2011 model and the battery is is in a real silly and almost un accessible location. Easy to say now but I would have designed the battery in a much easier to access location to switch out when needed.

If there is a modification that has been done I would really appreciate hearing about it.

Love the bike. Just seems it needs a new battery every 2 years.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

There is really no obvious place to move the battery to. You may get more life out of a battery by using a battery tender whenever you park the bike.
    2012 Viper Red RT-S (Sold)
    2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Glenc View Post
    Would be interested to know if anybody has done a battery re-location. I have a 2011 model and the battery is is in a real silly and almost un accessible location. Easy to say now but I would have designed the battery in a much easier to access location to switch out when needed.

If there is a modification that has been done I would really appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks
    YES I did it to mine about 3 years ago and wish I had done it sooner. drop me an email at motorcycledave@mac.com I will send you pictures.
    If you want to call me I can walk you through it. 209-887-3283
    Dave
    IMG_3661.jpgBdMxVvdEQee97DsUWZQSWg.jpg
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 03-20-2022 at 09:39 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Glenc View Post

Thanks
    My thought is .... why do you think Access to the battery is important ....How often are you re-moving / re-placing yours ???? .... What Dave did makes No sense to me - obviously He doesn't use His frunk much. ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

I thought about moving mine. The first time I saw it, it reminded me of the Honda they built in the mid eighties and forgot it needed a battery and had to design a special shaped battery for it. Now seven years later I don't care. I put star washers on the terminals,keep it on a battery tender and buy the OEM style Yuasa battery. It's a 2012 I bought in 2015 with the original battery. I put in a new battery in 2018 and it is going strong. I'm thinking if you are replacing your battery every 2 years there is a problem somewhere. So to answer your question, no I haven't relocated mine. However Dave knows what he is doing so get hold of him and see if his solution works for you. And he is very good about walking someone thru things.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2022 at 02:11 AM. Reason: reokacing = replacing?? ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Are you driving the spyder for short distances? As stated above, use a good battery tender, these creatures are (electrical) power hungry, so you need to drive at least for 25 min to even top up what you used to start the bike.
    After you shut down your bike, there will be some things that still need a bit of power. Methinks your problem should be easily corrected once you hook it up to a good tender...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2022 at 02:13 AM. Reason: atleast = at least ;-)
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    YES I did it to mine about 3 years ago and wish I had done it sooner. drop me an email at motorcycledave@mac.com I will send you pictures.
    If you want to call me I can walk you through it. 209-887-3283
    Dave
    IMG_3661.jpgBdMxVvdEQee97DsUWZQSWg.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    My thought is .... why do you think Access to the battery is important ....How often are you re-moving / re-placing yours ???? .... What Dave did makes No sense to me - obviously He doesn't use His frunk much. ..... good luck ... Mike
    I still have plenty of room in my front trunk to hold my jacket gloves and helmet even with the battery up there. The picture shows it midway through the install it now has a cover over the battery. If I had another Spyder with it in the back I would do it again in a flash. Up front I now have an extra fuse block for accessories easy fast access to fuses and battery tender pigtail. With the GS/RS/RSS models that have the Givi /factory saddle bags, to get to the battery you are in for about 45 min if removing the side bag,the mounting bracket, the plastic, raising the seat. All of that is not fun if your on the side of the road.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-23-2022 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Duplicated posts merged

Spyder Garage

I also have a 2011 Spyder RT-S and have watched the video of how to change the Battery....... what a royal Pain that is ... and I am sure , when I need a Battery... I will put a Battery Box in the rear trunk , cut the Hot and Ground Cables under the Seat and cold solider new Cables of same size and run then into the Trunk . no need in anything being that Hard to change .
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

I still have plenty of room in my front trunk to hold my jacket gloves and helmet even with the battery up there. The picture shows it midway through the install it now has a cover over the battery. If I had another Spyder with it in the back I would do it again in a flash. Up front I now have an extra fuse block for accessories easy fast access to fuses and battery tender pigtail. With the GS/RS/RSS models that have the Givi /factory saddle bags, to get to the battery you are in for about 45 min if removing the side bag,the mounting bracket, the plastic, raising the seat. All of that is not fun if your on the side of the road.
    I can see your point. IF you have " side bags ", you have added storage. .... but how many folks here have " after market " side-bags ???? I doubt even 10%. .... personally I take my 14 RT ( as often as possible ) to go shopping... I especially need the storage space for groceries .... I can get two+ weeks worth in one trip..... OR I can suffer through a Battery change every FIVE years ( average )..... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-23-2022 at 11:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

I can see your point. IF you have " side bags ", you have added storage. .... but how many folks here have " after market " side-bags ???? I doubt even 10%. .... personally I take my 14 RT ( as often as possible ) to go shopping... I especially need the storage space for groceries .... I can get two+ weeks worth in one trip..... OR I can suffer through a Battery change every FIVE years ( average )..... JMHO .... Mike
    here is why I moved my battery, True this shows the other side but there is
    just as much stuff to be removed on the other side to be able to get to the battery.
    Spyder.jpg

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike
    I currently have my mesh jacket 'with armor' and a tool bag " hard to see in the picture along with my modular helmet in there
    when traveling out of town I have a small air compressor and tire patching plugs just in case. there is plenty of room. I also have side bags on mine. I did this mod because it was a royal pain in the A$$ to remove everything need to access the battery. I made a cover out of K-Tex to go over the battery it looks stock if I did not tell someone it was there they would most likely not know it had been modified.
    I am guessing the factory people felt sticking the battery under the seat and not very easy to get to if needed was a bad idea so they moved them to the front.... If you do this CHECK ALL YOUR FACTORY WIRES RUNNING ABOVE OR AROUND THE ENGINE.... Look what I found.... IMG_3659.jpgIMG_3673.jpgIMG_6951.jpg
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 03-27-2022 at 10:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Most battery changes are an hour or less. On a tender, batteries last at least 3 years, maybe more. Seems like a lot of work on such an old machine. Batteries moved to the trunk in 13…..
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike
    I currently have my mesh jacket 'with armor' and a tool bag " hard to see in the picture along with my modular helmet in there
    when traveling out of town I have a small air compressor and tire patching plugs just in case. there is plenty of room. I also have side bags on mine. I did this mod because it was a royal pain in the A$$ to remove everything need to access the battery. I made a cover out of K-Tex to go over the battery it looks stock if I did not tell someone it was there they would most likely not know it had been modified.
    I am guessing the factory people felt sticking the battery under the seat and not very easy to get to if needed was a bad idea so they moved them to the front.... If you do this CHECK ALL YOUR FACTORY WIRES RUNNING ABOVE OR AROUND THE ENGINE.... Look what I found.... IMG_3659.jpgIMG_3673.jpgIMG_6951.jpg
    Dave, whatever rows your boat ..... My answer was directed at the OP .... and I stated my reasons why ..... AND you are also entitled to your opinion ..... let's just leave it at that ....... Mike