Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Suppliers for cheaper OEM Air compressor for 2014 RT?

I have a 2014 RT. The original air compressor was replaced under warranty 3 yrs ago... now the new one (from 3 yrs ago) is making lots of noise and runs often. I know how to replace it...I tried an after market one from Viair... but that didn't work out at all. The lowest price I have found on an air compressor from CanAm is $390 + tax and shipping. Does anyone know where I can get the right compressor for less than that? (The Viair was under $100 bucks). Thanks

Spyder Garage

What was the problem you had with the Viair?

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtlister View Post
    I have a 2014 RT. The original air compressor was replaced under warranty 3 yrs ago... now the new one (from 3 yrs ago) is making lots of noise and runs often. I know how to replace it...I tried an after market one from Viair... but that didn't work out at all. The lowest price I have found on an air compressor from CanAm is $390 + tax and shipping. Does anyone know where I can get the right compressor for less than that? (The Viair was under $100 bucks). Thanks
    What did you mean by "not work out at all?" For how long did it work?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    What was the problem you had with the Viair?
    The Viair had to be modified to fit... it is not shaped like the CanAm compressor. But the modification changed the way the pump head sits on the pump motor and that was a real problem. It simply would not work that way. in addition to that, the Viair compressor is loud. In fact, it is louder than the old pump that is currently on the bik and making noise. The Viair was an excellent price... but it is not designed to fit on the Spyder and I wouldn't be happy with it being so loud.

Spyder Garage

Sometimes you have bite the bullet and pay the price for the right fit and performance.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    What did you mean by "not work out at all?" For how long did it work?
    The Viair has to be taken apart and rotate the pump head in order for it to orient correctly into position. But, when you rotate that head, the piston head does not fit correctly and consequently knocks internally (that's not acceptable... it will damage the piston) and when the head is rotated, it's even louder. It's just simply not built to fit in the Spyder ...and like I said, even if there were no orientation problems, it's very loud... too loud for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Sometimes you have bite the bullet and pay the price for the right fit and performance.
    I understand... but at a price of over $400 (not including labor) ...that's definitely a bullet! ...Especially when I know that the mark up on that compressor is at least 200%. So, I'm just asking if anybody knows of a parts supplier (a CanAm dealer maybe) that will make a better price on that compressor. :-}

Spyder Garage

The Viair had to be modified to fit... it is not shaped like the CanAm compressor. But the modification changed the way the pump head sits on the pump motor and that was a real problem. It simply would not work that way. in addition to that, the Viair compressor is loud. In fact, it is louder than the old pump that is currently on the bik and making noise. The Viair was an excellent price... but it is not designed to fit on the Spyder and I wouldn't be happy with it being so loud.
    I can't recall the model numbers off the top of my head, but if you've selected the correct size Viair, then most fitting that compressor to their Spyder so far have simply modified the OE strap for the (not round) OEM compressor so that it will fit & hold the Viair (round) compressor, then undone the 4 screws & 'clocked' the outlet on the pump head so that it doesn't point straight out the side of their Spyder (a fairly simple process that the compressor/pump is designed to enable ).... but if the extra noise from the Viair is a problem to you....

That said, the reason for the 'extra noise' from the Viair is that it has a significantly greater air flow capacity, and moving more air makes more noise!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

rlister....Are you ABSOLUTELY certain the markup on the OEM pump is over 200%? I'll wager not. My dealer gives me a 20% discount on parts. Sweet talk yours.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I can't recall the model numbers off the top of my head, but if you've selected the correct size Viair, then most fitting that compressor to their Spyder so far have simply modified the OE strap for the (not round) OEM compressor so that it will fit & hold the Viair (round) compressor, then undone the 4 screws & 'clocked' the outlet on the pump head so that it doesn't point straight out the side of their Spyder (a fairly simple process that the compressor/pump is designed to enable ).... but if the extra noise from the Viair is a problem to you....

That said, the reason for the 'extra noise' from the Viair is that it has a significantly greater air flow capacity, and moving more air makes more noise!
    Thanks for that. I'm almost certain that I got the correct Viair compressor. I spent a lot of time researching it and watching youtube videos from others who had replaced their compressors. And I actually had a CanAm mechanic help me with it as well. ... but it was very loud... considerably louder than the 1330. :-{ We did have to modify the OE straps as well, but not just that. We got all that done without a lot of struggle.
    Last edited by rtlister; 03-18-2022 at 05:37 PM.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I understand... but at a price of over $400 (not including labor) ...that's definitely a bullet! ...Especially when I know that the mark up on that compressor is at least 200%. So, I'm just asking if anybody knows of a parts supplier (a CanAm dealer maybe) that will make a better price on that compressor. :-}
    rtlister, would you be interested in converting the system to all Manual operations? Eliminates all of the issues. Many of us have done that and would never go back.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

The Viair I used after modification has been in place for 2 plus years and is running fine. It's also not the one most on site have used. That model was blamed for blowing fuse.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The successful compressor transplants use the Viair 95C.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

..... from the many posts on this forum from folks who switched to the " Viair " pump, they were quite pleased with it and didn't return to say " it was actually a mistake to use it " or a similar statement to that effect ..... You also have option " B " .... change your system to a manual one ... get rid of the pump entirely .... cost " zero ". I have a basic RT and the problems with the Auto pump was one of the reasons I chose it. I check the psi about once a month and add a little pressure .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that. I'm almost certain that I got the correct Viair compressor. I spent a lot of time researching it and watching youtube videos from others who had replaced their compressors. And I actually had a CanAm mechanic help me with it as well. ... but it was very loud... considerably louder than the 1330. :-{ We did have to modify the OE straps as well, but not just that. We got all that done without a lot of struggle.
    " a CanAm mechanic " ..... well maybe that was the problem .... dealers and their employee's are mostly not happy using ....Non BRP parts ..... I'm surprised they touched it ..... JMHO .... MIke

Spyder Garage

The Vi-Air 95C works perfectly on the Spyder & doesn't blow any fuses. All you need to do is drill and tap new holes so you can change check valve orientation.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

I would just gut the compressor and go manual fill, has worked for me with no problems!! That system is fine when it's working the way it should, but when it decides to poop out on you will be dead to the frame for the most part, because the shock they have in there is pretty much useless also! If you hook the bag direct to your Schrader and start at around 50lbs of air and adjust from there up or down, you will have a good ride, and it will not cost you more than a couple hours of wrench time if that!! I can only think of one time I EVER adjusted my system while it worked, so when my compressor pooped out in the middle of a 300-mile day and I got home pounding on the frame, it was a no brainer which direction I would go!!! Good luck if you need some subport PM me!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " a CanAm mechanic " ..... well maybe that was the problem .... dealers and their employee's are mostly not happy using ....Non BRP parts ..... I'm surprised they touched it ..... JMHO .... MIke
    The mechanic used to work full time for a dealership but is no longer with them... but works with me personally on my Spyder. He knows the Spyder inside and out.
    Thanks for your reply.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I would just gut the compressor and go manual fill, has worked for me with no problems!! That system is fine when it's working the way it should, but when it decides to poop out on you will be dead to the frame for the most part, because the shock they have in there is pretty much useless also! If you hook the bag direct to your Schrader and start at around 50lbs of air and adjust from there up or down, you will have a good ride, and it will not cost you more than a couple hours of wrench time if that!! I can only think of one time I EVER adjusted my system while it worked, so when my compressor pooped out in the middle of a 300-mile day and I got home pounding on the frame, it was a no brainer which direction I would go!!! Good luck if you need some subport PM me!!
    Thanks for your reply. My preference is to have the compressor (that works correctly, quietly and affordably)... but your suggestion may be the best solution. I'm considering that. Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

The Vi-Air 95C works perfectly on the Spyder & doesn't blow any fuses. All you need to do is drill and tap new holes so you can change check valve orientation.
    I can't remember for sure the model... I know the Viair we used was a 95 ...and I'm almost certain it was a "C" version (I sent it back and got a refund after we tried it [several months ago]). Modifying it so it would "fit" into position was not that difficult... we got that part done. The problem was that to reorient the head of the pump would cause the piston inside the pump to knock (metal hitting metal). There is no way that would work long term. And as I said earlier, even right out of the box, the Viair compressor was very loud... way to loud for my liking.
    Question: is the Viair 95C the compressor that others have used for 2014"s and up?
    Thanks again for your reply.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... from the many posts on this forum from folks who switched to the " Viair " pump, they were quite pleased with it and didn't return to say " it was actually a mistake to use it " or a similar statement to that effect ..... You also have option " B " .... change your system to a manual one ... get rid of the pump entirely .... cost " zero ". I have a basic RT and the problems with the Auto pump was one of the reasons I chose it. I check the psi about once a month and add a little pressure .... good luck .... Mike
    is the Viair 95C the compressor that others have used for 2014"s and up? Thanks for your reply.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    rtlister, would you be interested in converting the system to all Manual operations? Eliminates all of the issues. Many of us have done that and would never go back.
    I am considering that. But do you not have an issue with the psi dropping (during a ride... not just over a period of weeks)? Thanks for your reply

Spyder Garage

The Viair I used after modification has been in place for 2 plus years and is running fine. It's also not the one most on site have used. That model was blamed for blowing fuse.
    Thanks so much for your reply.
    Three questions: 1) what year/model Spyder did you put the Viair compressor on? 2) Which model Viair did you use? 3) how loud is your compressor when it engages? Thanks again

Spyder Garage

is the Viair 95C the compressor that others have used for 2014"s and up? Thanks for your reply.
    Yes. taxmyzer posted that .....Mike

Spyder Garage

The mechanic used to work full time for a dealership but is no longer with them... but works with me personally on my Spyder. He knows the Spyder inside and out.
    Thanks for your reply.
    OK , there was no offence intended in my comment, and I'm glad you didn't take any ...... My experience with Dealers and their employee's ( Tech's ) has not been good. .. If you had read my Thread about my 08 GS and warranty work done at a DEALER ( concerning the DPS unit ) you would know what I meant ..... . my bad luck ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-19-2022 at 12:19 PM.