Spyder Garage

Default Need a/mkt key number for RT-622 trailer?

Does anyone have an aftermarket key number for the RT-622 trailer?

I just purchased one and it didn't come with a key and the owner had sold the Spyder that it went with. I did try to slide my newer 2020 RT-L key into it but it will not fit.

How about a blank key number for a older Spyder? That would be the same as the trailer I think.

Thanks
    David
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

After doing some searching on here everyone is saying that a Ilco X270 is the key which is the same as the one in my 2020 I believe.

My Spyder key will not go into the slot all the way. I'm going to spray it down with some lubricant to see if that helps and hope that nothing is broken off inside the key barrel.

I would appreciate it if someone could confirm that the Ilco X270 will indeed fit.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

image.jpgYes Ilco x270 is the one. This is my spare barrel waiting to be installed into the trailer
    Last edited by Brentc; 03-18-2022 at 04:10 PM.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    image.jpgYes Ilco x270 is the one. This is my spare barrel waiting to be installed into the trailer
    Thank you Brentc

Spyder Garage

Here’s a YouTube link for replacing the lock on the 622. It’s a bit more complicated without the key as you need to unlock the barrel in order to release it from the housing. You may need to enlist a locksmith to pick the lock.
    https://youtu.be/df6GC6dbo7M
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I'm going to spray it down with some lubricant to see if that helps and hope that nothing is broken off inside the key barrel.
    There's no need to spray it with a lubricant. It won't fit. There are two different cylinders for the 622 trailers. If someone has a newer cylinder that you could get, your newer key will slide in. Then you can have that cylinder rekeyed to your ignition key. You might be able to buy one on eBay. I had to find a new cylinder for my 622 to have it rekeyed for my 2020 RTL.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

This is the first I’ve heard mention of multiple cylinders. Was it based on certain model trailer or date specific? Wonder what the difference is?
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

This is the first I’ve heard mention of multiple cylinders. Was it based on certain model trailer or date specific? Wonder what the difference is?
    The difference is the ignition key. My '13 RTL, '14 RTL and '16 F3L came with an extra key cylinder that I was able to use in my 622 trailer. My 2020 RTL did not and I learned that my 2020 key would not fit in my older cylinders. Because of that, I couldn't have my cylinder rekeyed. I had to find a newer cylinder and have it rekeyed to my ignition. You need to find someone who has a 2020+ RT without a top box and see if they'll sell you their cylinder and have it rekeyed to your ignition.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Thank you for that heads up, much appreciated
    Can the newer cylinder be purchased separately from Brp I wonder?
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I looked it up and when I tried the part number nothing came up. I'll try calling the dealer on Monday.

Spyder Garage

When we bought a used 622 trailer (from a Volvo dealer!) it came with no keys and my wife's used RT didn't have the extra cylinder. We ended up ordering a new cylinder and keys. Had to disassemble the latch from inside but it wasn't too hard to pop out the old cylinder and slide in the new one.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    When we bought a used 622 trailer (from a Volvo dealer!) it came with no keys and my wife's used RT didn't have the extra cylinder. We ended up ordering a new cylinder and keys. Had to disassemble the latch from inside but it wasn't too hard to pop out the old cylinder and slide in the new one.
    Thats exactly what I will have to do unless I drill it out and let the little springs and balls fall out.

Spyder Garage

I was just told by my local dealer that the key barrel is not available. I find this hard to believe myself. Also the older kit # 219400180 is no longer available.

It looks like the only option is to get someone to sell you theirs if they are not going to use it.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was just told by my local dealer that the key barrel is not available. I find this hard to believe myself. Also the older kit # 219400180 is no longer available.

It looks like the only option is to get someone to sell you theirs if they are not going to use it.
    With all due respect, I’m uncertain why you’re struggling with this. Go on line and purchase a couple of the Ilco x270 blanks. While you’re waiting for them to be delivered, take apart your trailer latch and remove the barrel you already have. Then, when the blanks show up, take the whole thing to a locksmith and ask them to cut the keys to match the barrel. Put it all back together and you’re done. True, you have to carry two keys with you - one for the ignition and one for the trailer. But who cares. You’ll be able to lock your trailer.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    With all due respect, I’m uncertain why you’re struggling with this. Go on line and purchase a couple of the Ilco x270 blanks. While you’re waiting for them to be delivered, take apart your trailer latch and remove the barrel you already have. Then, when the blanks show up, take the whole thing to a locksmith and ask them to cut the keys to match the barrel. Put it all back together and you’re done. True, you have to carry two keys with you - one for the ignition and one for the trailer. But who cares. You’ll be able to lock your trailer.
    I understand this but, if I can find one that will use the key that I already have that's what I want, if not then I will do this. To each his own.

I do however have a couple of the X270 blanks on the way just in case.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 03-23-2022 at 09:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

I understand this but, if I can find one that will use the key that I already have that's what I want, if not then I will do this. To each his own.
    I know that *some* lock cylinders can be re-pinned. Don't know if the 622's cylinder can but worth asking a locksmith.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    I know that *some* lock cylinders can be re-pinned. Don't know if the 622's cylinder can but worth asking a locksmith.
    I'm sure it can be but not using the newer 2020+ models key as they wont fit per another spyderlovers member. Also I do know that my key will not fit into the cylinder. Thanks
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 03-23-2022 at 09:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have found a lock barrel. Thanks for all the info.

Spyder Garage

where did you find a new barrel? I need to change mine.

Spyder Garage

I got it from a member here that wasn't going to use it.

I called several dealers to no avail.

Spyder Garage

234E06C0-773C-4CD4-AF36-0598BEE8DB07.jpg

K80shooter.
    I just went through what you are dealing with. Bought a used trailer. Wiring was all screwed up and no key. I purchased a key and barrel online and installed the new barrel on the trailer once the locksmith was done keying it to my existing key. I have an extra barrel and key I would be willing to part with for a small fee if you are interested?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-26-2022 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display
    2017 F3T , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dtfoltz View Post
    234E06C0-773C-4CD4-AF36-0598BEE8DB07.jpg

K80shooter.
    I just went through what you are dealing with. Bought a used trailer. Wiring was all screwed up and no key. I purchased a key and barrel online and installed the new barrel on the trailer once the locksmith was done keying it to my existing key. I have an extra barrel and key I would be willing to part with for a small fee if you are interested?
    Probably isn't dtfoltz... see the post quoted below.

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks dtfoltz, but as Peter has pointed out I have already gotten one.