Spyder Garage

Default Northern riders, 1st ride each year - are rough roads usual?

Is it normal, that the first real warm day and everyone has cabin fever, that you take your bike for a ride and notice how uneven the roads are? I haven't ridden in awhile, and I bought my bike last year. I was out twice this week and man the roads were bumpy. I guess the ground has to thaw a little more for those expansions to settle and the sealant to go back in the cracks.

Just wondering. I live in the boondocks, so I had to watch for any logging road and any gravel/dirt road coming onto the main. If you live in the north you know all about anti skid, and mud and gravel wash out from plow trucks and spring thaw.

Everyone had their bikes out today, some sports cars too. They really need to get the sweepers going the intersections are a mess with antiskid. Not too bad for my truck, ryker handled it well for the most part. Just one slight fishtailing, probably because I gunned it a little too much when taking off.

Spyder Garage

Never used to get the bikes out until we got a good hard rainstorm.
    To much salt dust and sand on the roads.
    Pot holes are really bad this year, to many freeze thaw cycles this winter.

Spyder Garage

Lots of potholes here in Orange County, NY. The salt and sand was not too bad, we had two days of rain so that helped a lot.
    Today was 70 degrees so I had to take the bike out. I still gave her a bath when I got back though, just to be safe.

Spyder Garage

Pa in spring roads are a mess, Ryker is safer than a motorcycle , but dodging the potholes on 3 wheels is a problem. Neither love rainy fall leaves, at dusk while dodging deer!

Joys of pa seasons.

Spyder Garage

Cycling is very popular in Calgary and outlying areas, known here as Municipalities…same as Counties… and they all have road sweeping machines and they have been out already on some of our lightly travelled paved roads that cyclists frequent. We have had a few snow falls that melted quickly so not much salt put down. I hope to get my new, 2021 F3T with 1 Km. out in the early in the afternoon mid next week. Riding in the countryside is always time well spent. Our highs are 10-12 C so nearly 50F, the sun definitely feels warm. I’ll be wearing longjohns!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by misterbc View Post
    Cycling is very popular in Calgary and outlying areas, known here as Municipalities…same as Counties… and they all have road sweeping machines and they have been out already on some of our lightly travelled paved roads that cyclists frequent. We have had a few snow falls that melted quickly so not much salt put down. I hope to get my new, 2021 F3T with 1 Km. out in the early in the afternoon mid next week. Riding in the countryside is always time well spent. Our highs are 10-12 C so nearly 50F, the sun definitely feels warm. I’ll be wearing longjohns!
    What COLOR ? Just in case I get too far North on my ride, so I will know that it's YOU!
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    What COLOR ? Just in case I get too far North on my ride, so I will know that it's YOU!
    Pink with green polka dots.��

Spyder Garage

Been out 3 times already and have not noticed much in the way of rough roads. Cold AF still at 60.
    2020 Rally , black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
    Is it normal, that the first real warm day and everyone has cabin fever, that you take your bike for a ride and notice how uneven the roads are? I haven't ridden in awhile, and I bought my bike last year. I was out twice this week and man the roads were bumpy. I guess the ground has to thaw a little more for those expansions to settle and the sealant to go back in the cracks.

Just wondering. I live in the boondocks, so I had to watch for any logging road and any gravel/dirt road coming onto the main. If you live in the north you know all about anti skid, and mud and gravel wash out from plow trucks and spring thaw.

Everyone had their bikes out today, some sports cars too. They really need to get the sweepers going the intersections are a mess with antiskid. Not too bad for my truck, ryker handled it well for the most part. Just one slight fishtailing, probably because I gunned it a little too much when taking off.
    FROST HEAVES ...... and they have been occurring for the past 125 years .... ever since paving has become widespread .... before " pavement " it was just known as " mud season " lots and lots of bumpy / lumpy MUD ..... I know it's harder for some than others but ..... try and be happy .... KMHO .... Mike |

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coolie View Post
    Lots of potholes here in Orange County, NY. The salt and sand was not too bad, we had two days of rain so that helped a lot.
    Today was 70 degrees so I had to take the bike out. I still gave her a bath when I got back though, just to be safe.
    I feel that, just 2 small rides for me, had to scratch that itch. It was 71 or 72, crazy amount of bikes out. Guess everyone was feeling it.

Spyder Garage

LOL, long johns, pants, 2 jackets, full face helmet, gloves. 50F and the posted speed limit make for a cold ride.

Spyder Garage

I also started now my first trips, its still very cold here in the Austrian Alps. But its no problem with my fairing and the heated grips, I use my "over all" Xlarge suit over my normal Jacket - good to have longer shocks, we have a lot of "new" potholes after the winter...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I plan on getting my Spyder ready to ride in the next couple of weeks. Roads are a mess right now. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We were out for three rides this weekend and racked up 285 miles. Temps were in the high 40's F, wind about 15 mph, and partly cloudy. Fresh air to the nostrils was welcomed, and when I parked it back in the garage, Not Even (1) BUG on the windshield! "Life is Good"........Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Some roads around here get damaged pretty bad from frost heaves so it's like riding on a wooden rollercoaster down some of the roads. The worst are the half-paved roads with the exposed manhole covers you have to dodge.

Spyder Garage

Something to keep in mind all year long is road patches. The repair crews don't get too worked up about maintaining surface pitch, and a three wheeler is much more sensitive to that sort of thing. We've also got a lot of cedar swamp around here where the surface settles unevenly over time, and you can't always drive around the rough patches as easily as with a two wheeler. First few times on any trike can put the WTF! into your day, but it's like anything else - you get used to the quirks and file it under "new normal" once you figure out what to watch for.

And ya ... you get used to seeing piles of sand and salt on the corners. Good practice in planning ahead, eh.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Here in Vt. the roads still have a lot of road salt, and a lot of pot holes.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CsOldGrayDog View Post
    Pa in spring roads are a mess, Ryker is safer than a motorcycle , but dodging the potholes on 3 wheels is a problem. Neither love rainy fall leaves, at dusk while dodging deer!

Joys of pa seasons.
    Agreed, went up to pick up some parts just north of Harrisburg in my Silverado a couple of weeks ago and some of those potholes were big enough I was afraid if I hit one it would just rip a wheel off of the truck. These things were big enough that your tire would be Swallowed if it went into it.

I could only imagine the damage if I hit one with the Spyder.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 03-30-2022 at 05:55 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black