Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Do I really need a GPS?

My spYder is a 2022 RTL petrol blue.../so on a recent 5 day trip i solely used my iphone GPS (google maps) and it worked just perfect took me wherever i needed to be, that being said do i really need to spend $300-500 on a GPS.
    i've even plotted route on google maps sent them to my phone and BOOM away we go phone even works with gloves.
    i've also heard that the spYder usb in the glove box does not have enough ''juice'' to keep the iphone powered, well i was at 10% battery running google maps my siriusxm app and by the time i stopped for food and fuel 2 hours later i was at 100% battery, so to those of you who say it won't charge, check you cables and or your phone socket for crap built up.

so back on topic $300-500 buys a lot of goodies. primary muffler delete/ dynamic lighting/ light bar/ blaster horn/ pedal commander ect ect ect.

what say you all....BTY i have also notice when traffic slows google will give you alternate routes... just like a GPS.

thanks SLICE

Spyder Garage

No, you don't really need to spend $$$ on a dedicated GPS. Some swear by the traditional GPS while others use their smart phones exclusively. We happen to have Garmin 396s on our Spyders. They're securely center-mounted, take up little room, and work well for us. On the other hand, we use our smart phones and Android Auto in our cars and prefer that to stick-on GPS receivers. We feel more comfortable on our Spyders having our cell phones either in our jackets or in the trunk. They're neither waterproof nor water resistant and that' s a consideration. Our two cents for what it's worth.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    My spYder is a 2022 RTL petrol blue.../so on a recent 5 day trip i solely used my iphone GPS (google maps) and it worked just perfect took me wherever i needed to be, that being said do i really need to spend $300-500 on a GPS.
    i've even plotted route on google maps sent them to my phone and BOOM away we go phone even works with gloves.
    i've also heard that the spYder usb in the glove box does not have enough ''juice'' to keep the iphone powered, well i was at 10% battery running google maps my siriusxm app and by the time i stopped for food and fuel 2 hours later i was at 100% battery, so to those of you who say it won't charge, check you cables and or your phone socket for crap built up.

so back on topic $300-500 buys a lot of goodies. primary muffler delete/ dynamic lighting/ light bar/ blaster horn/ pedal commander ect ect ect.

what say you all....BTY i have also notice when traffic slows google will give you alternate routes... just like a GPS.

thanks SLICE
    No you don't . All you need is a Tackform phone mount and your smart phone, you already have
    a very good GPS already built into it. Just go to the App Store on your phone and download google maps, apple maps.
    or any other one and you are set... I have traveled the world and only used my phones GPS with no trouble.

Spyder Garage

No. There is nothing more up to date or that works better than Google Maps. Some say Waze is better and I can't really argue that point, but Maps beats them all in my opinion. Plus being integrated into the Google Assistant makes it seamless.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I like to use both, mostly at the same time. I love the Garmin XL with some of it's weird routing possibilities and the built in apps. Plus it handles the elements well. With the phone I can get Waze, better weather maps, and I like different maps at times.

That said, I would not have a problem traveling if I only used the phone.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

thanks SLICE

You can use your phone as your GPS if you are satisfied with your phone screen, or the instructions forwarded to the screen on your Spyder.
    One small caveat and a work-around.
    The Cell phone GPS requires two connections on your phone. The GPS antenna needs to connect to the GPS satellites to determine your position.
    You also need an adequate cell connection so your phone can connect to the internet and translate your position into turn by turn instructions. Without a good cell connection, you won't know how to navigate.
    Here is the workaround: If you think you'll be in an area with poor cell service, you can download the maps that cover that are prior to losing the cell service. That way, your phone will be able to calculate the navigation prompts.

I'm one of those people who prefer a stand-alone GPS. I prefer the larger screen.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have been a long time fan of the Waze app. Even when driving my truck or car (both equipped with factory navigation) I still use my phone and Waze. One of the neat features is that you and other "Wazers" can mark police activity locations, accident locations and other trouble spots (objects in road, vehicles stopped on the side of the road etc.). Also as mentioned this is real time navigation to help avoid congestion locations (not sure if that is available here in Canada with a regular GPS unit or not)?
    As MotorcycleDave mentions I also use a Tackform mount and have been really pleased with the setup. Only downside is if you hit some inclement weather....you'll probably want to store your phone if it gets too nasty.
    Cheers
    Kevin
    2020 RT Limited - Chalk Metallic Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

SLICE, We need pictures of your wallet -- we forum members are ready to choose your farkles for you. Please post pictures of your wallet, open of course.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-19-2022 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Moved post title so all can read - some only see thread titles!
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    No, you don't really need to spend $$$ on a dedicated GPS. Some swear by the traditional GPS while others use their smart phones exclusively. We happen to have Garmin 396s on our Spyders. They're securely center-mounted, take up little room, and work well for us. On the other hand, we use our smart phones and Android Auto in our cars and prefer that to stick-on GPS receivers. We feel more comfortable on our Spyders having our cell phones either in our jackets or in the trunk. They're neither waterproof nor water resistant and that' s a consideration. Our two cents for what it's worth.
    I bought a GPS a longtime ago, so it's pretty out-dated right now. ..... I now have a cell phone that has the GPS .... I use it exclusively - WHY ..;. because I can use Ear phones, I couldn't do that with my Garmin..... JMHO ... Mike

Spyder Garage

thanks SLICE
    If your phone works fine for you, great. No one is going to tell you that its wrong or not to use it.

There are, however, reasons to use a dedicated GPS unit such as a Garmin Zuma XT to provide features and functions that your phone cannot.

Google Maps on your phone cannot navigate a ROUTE, only takes you to a destination. The two are very different and when planning rides for groups, it quickly becomes appearant why the phone does not do the job.

A dedicated GPS has a much better screen and a display that is optimized for use while riding and in direct sun. Able to tell at a glance the information you need and in fonts large enough to read easily while riding.

A dedicated GPS has the maps and POI data contained within and does not rely on cell data connections for data.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

If you travel where you have good cell service all the time, then you don't need a dedicated GPS. However, down here in the Southeast, there are some dead cell spots. Had to make a few U-turns because of that. Also, from experience, GPS's do a better job with rural addresses.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I have a Garmin XT because I didn't want to deal with the BRP App. I wanted a GPS that I could see and had great features. I'm attaching a photo of the setup.
    149156FE-2008-4FCA-A6AB-F1B71D21F104.jpg
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

lots of awesome points made. i should have added to my original post, that my phone in water proof to 6.5 feet and if i'm driving in 6.5 feet of water i should have not turned down the boat ramp,,,
    i have no interest in points of interest, i set a destination and that's where i go if i get lost it was meant to be.
    i refuse to do group rides. jcthorne google maps is capable of plotting routes i have at least 5 plotted out on my phone right now. heres one i did all around my county only 2 traffic lights
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Slice, if you are happy using your phone, then that’s great. There used to be all sorts of reasons for not using using your mobile as a GPS, like water ingress, overheating shutdown in the hot sun, vibration damage, but most of these have now been addressed. You can even purchase an app like TomTom or Sygic for it for a reasonable price, then you never have to worry about losing the phone signal interrupting your GPS functionality/directions….and you have all the route creation and other goodies of a full standalone GPS.

Regarding the phone charging, if you read the comments closely, you will find that they say that oversize phones may have difficulty being charged by the glovebox as the power output is limited, and the larger batteries overpower it. Normal sized phones have no issues.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 11-16-2022 at 02:56 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

JC
    We have a '13 and it came wtih the Zumo. I'm able to bluetooth it to my helmet. My only question is, currently it is mounted between the handle bars, and it seems like I have to take my eyes off the road, any better mount position? Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-16-2022 at 03:05 PM. Reason: eyyes - eyes ;-)
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    JC
    We have a '13 and it came wtih the Zumo. I'm able to bluetooth it to my helmet. My only question is, currently it is mounted between the handle bars, and it seems like I have to take my eyes off the road, any better mount position? Thanks,
    Dave
    yes!! somebody already figured that out. a couple of posts, "mounting gps on dash" that you can search for. the cable is long enough. you just need a bracket "JT dash bracket" then a ram ball extention will put it right up in the line of sight. did that back in 2018. had all the plastic panels off around front area off
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Slice, if you are happy using your phone, then that’s great. There used to be all sorts of reasons for not using using your mobile as a GPS, like water ingress, overheating shutdown in the hot sun, vibration damage, but most of these have now been addressed. You can even purchase an app like TomTom or Sygic for it for a reasonable price, then you never have to worry about losing the phone signal interrupting your GPS functionality/directions….and you have all the route creation and other goodies of a full standalone GPS.

Regarding the phone charging, if you read the comments closely, you will find that they say that oversize phones may have difficulty being charged by the glovebox as the power output is limited, and the larger batteries overpower it. Normal sized phones have no issues.

Pete
    not sure i understand what you mean by larger phones i have a iphone 14 pro, don't get much bigger...unless your going to a tablet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    JC
    Dave
    I mounted mine here, Although its a 22 model
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

I use a Sumo XT and really like the features. Especially knowing what exits are approaching and which ones of those have gas, food, hotels, elevation, current speed limit, and more.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No, you don't need a GPS. Your Spyder will run just fine without it. Probably don't need any of the alternate purchases either.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

not sure i understand what you mean by larger phones i have a iphone 14 pro, don't get much bigger...unless your going to a tablet
    It all depends on the battery capacity/size, Slice. The 14 Pro has a smaller battery than the larger 14 Pro plus, for example, where the 5w charge coming from the glove box is simply not enough to charge the phone if it sees much use while plugged in. It has been mostly Smartphone users like Samsung who have been seeing the issue.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

You don't need a GPS if the Iphone works for you.
    I have both an Iphone and a Garmin GPS for the bike. I have both because , because some times when the phone is getting direct sun light the phone over heats and shuts down so the Garmin is kind of a back up.

The thing I don't like about the Garmin GPS it is hard to set the route if you are going in to a few states and it does not give you different routes, The Iphone is much easier to get to where you want to go and you have choices of the routes.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Slice, As a suggestion, and I have no idea about your specific IPhone, you might consider researching the settings for the GPS in your phone. It may be possible to select navigating by WiFi only, or WiFi and GPS. WiFi only is nice in cities where GPS struggles, but in open terrain, with few Starbucks or similar broadcasting WiFi, using satellites works better.

In our house we have several Garmin GPS devices. The pain is you must accomplish updates vs the phone which updates maps itself. Suffice to say, that Google Maps on the phone has saved us a few times when Garmin was clueless.

Spyder Garage

There is a big difference in want and need.

I traveled all over the USA and several foreign countries by motorcycle before GPS was a thing.

I used the plastic gas station maps, and still do.

The things people think are necessities now, didn't even exist 30 or 40 years ago.

Just my opinion on the question........... if you want a GPS, go buy one. You don't have to need the stuff you buy.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I have to agree with Gwolf.
    There are times when a GPS is handy, but maps work just fine for me.
    I have found many fun roads and interesting places by just going, jezz I wonder what is down this road.
    Besides you are never lost as long as you have 1/2 a tank of fuel.
    Works for me.