Spyder Garage

Default Thumb splint for riding suggestions? Both thumb joints gone(have you had the surgery)

Hi
    Just saw my hand Dr today and both thumb joints are bone on bone.

He gave myself 2 options first I guess may oy may not work, I would take methylprednisolone for 6 days and wear a thumb splint.

The other is a operation in which they replace my missing cartalidge with my own tissue. That would be outpatient but would be a 4 mo recovery time.

Question is I would rather just try a thumb splint as my first step.

Anyone been through this or recommend a good splint?

Spyder Garage

I am not a doctor, but it sounds like you are going to need the operation sooner or later.
    If it was me I would go for the medication and splints first.
    That way you might be able to get through the riding season and if they have to operate you would be laid up in the off season.

Spyder Garage

Correct, just stated the Methylprentazone this am but still would like some suggestions on thumb splints as there are many different styles. Dr does not ride so he is no help.

The surgery is outpatient but 4 mo recovery time and will not do both hands at once

Spyder Garage

I have arthritis and began to have constant pain (sometimes severe) in my left thumb, my doctor recommends the thumb brace than the cortisone shots (max 3) then surgery or go straight to surgery a month to heal than 3 months of physical therapy. I am wearing a brace by 3PP (thumsling) during the day and the Procare 79-87490 wrist/thumb support sling. So far having good results with the braces. Go back to Doc in a few weeks to update. Looks like the braces are doing the job
    I went for a ride a few days ago about 4 hours and expected more pain from shifting but pain did not increase. So the braces are working.

Spyder Garage

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Escorial View Post
    Hi Just saw my hand Dr today and both thumb joints are bone on bone.
    It seems strange that this occurred on your thumb joints only. It is from a repetitive work requiring extensive gripping?
    Last edited by GFrog; 03-18-2022 at 09:20 AM.
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

Past farmer, worked construction plus arthritis runs in the family. Do not know exactly what caused it but they hurt like hell at times. I just finished a knee replacement that was bone on bone and the thumbs hut more than the knee ever did!

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Past farmer, worked construction plus arthritis runs in the family.
    Sorry to hear about that. That type of work is really hard on muscles and joints and it certainly doesn't help when arthritis in your genes.

Best wishes and prompt recovery so you can be ready to roll for the riding season!
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

How much movement can you have in you thumb during the healing time? How much pressure can you grip with? The answers to those questions will point you tobthe correct grip. Do you need full length support or just base support? Hope you heal up well.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

It’s ironic that in this case riding a traditional motorcycle would be easier than the Spyder. While you would still need to turn the throttle, you would shift with your left foot, and squeeze the clutch lever with your other fingers. Whether or not you could do this with a splint is is something you would need to determine. Buying a small bike for a season might help until all is healed.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Hi

He gave myself 2 options first I guess may oy may not work, I would take methylprednisolone for 6 days and wear a thumb splint.

The other is a operation in which they replace my missing cartalidge with my own tissue. That would be outpatient but would be a 4 mo recovery time.

Been thru all this (and a bunch more! ) and ended up having very successful surgery to space & stabilise the joints with a prosthetic insert..... I don't know how bad your thumb is, but I stepped thru the whole process, trying each option more than once (unsuccessfully) until the prosthetic surgery, which has worked extremely well, altho recovery & therapy were long, fairly painful, & tough; but now, a few years down track, I have ALMOST the full range of motion & grip strength back & my thumb no longer dislocates itself whenever I try to hold onto anything tightly! I'd still suggest trying all of the lesser options on offer first tho!

That said, I used a variety of Thumb splints before the surgery, but the surgeon recommended (well, demanded! ) that post surgery I wear the Mueller Sports Medicine Adjust-to-Fit Thumb Stabilizer, For Men and Women, Black, One Size Fits Most splint shown further down the page from all those others in the link at your post #8 - claiming it was the only one that securely fitted & stabilised the entire thumb, and after wearing these for the post surgery rehab and on & off since, I reckon I agree - none of the others I tried before actually strapped around the top joint of my thumb & stabilised that, nor did they support the lower 2 joints anywhere near as well! There again, your mileage may vary, but I now reckon my surgeon was right, those thumb splints are the best for dodgy thumbs!

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do - dodgy thumbs can be extremely painful, especially since they are so much involved in so many of the things that we want to do! Hope it all goes well for you.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you,vwill try the Muellers

Spyder Garage

I purchased the 3-Point Products 3pp ThumSling, Left, Gray. I purchased the small/medium and the medium/large. The medium/large fits a bit bigger but both work well so I alternate at washings. I liked the gray color better.

Spyder Garage

Thanks all I ordered

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi

Un-fortunately I'm still a Smoker ... usually my left hand .... I just poke the " + " with my index finger. .... Thumb not necessary .... Good luck with any medical treatments ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have been in training to get my nose to do it

Spyder Garage

I have the same problem with a couple of my joints and it was caused by rolling them too tight! Sorry I couldn’t pass that one up. I’ve been using Australian dream for about seven years and it really gives pain relief after about a week. It might not help you but it certainly is not going to make it worse. I also found an oversize grips help.