Spyder Garage

Default Getting ready to bite the bullet!

Planning on purchasing my first EVER motorcycle of any kind, a 2016 F3 limited triple black. It has a bit more miles than I wanted (29K) but it was the only one at a reasonable price anywhere close to me. I'm pretty nervous as I have never rode before. I've been researching for quite some time and have watched a ton of youtube videos. My wife and I are still only in our late 30s but are empty nesters and looking to get out and about. Any suggestions for a complete newbie?
    Thanks!
    2019 F3 Limited , Position 5 brake rod Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluesfanatic View Post
    Planning on purchasing my first EVER motorcycle of any kind, a 2016 F3 limited triple black. It has a bit more miles than I wanted (29K) but it was the only one at a reasonable price anywhere close to me. I'm pretty nervous as I have never rode before. I've been researching for quite some time and have watched a ton of youtube videos. My wife and I are still only in our late 30s but are empty nesters and looking to get out and about. Any suggestions for a complete newbie?
    Thanks!
    Well & ... IF you have NEVER driven a Motorcycle you are way ahead of learning to operate a Spyder .... WHY is that ???? ... because you have NOTHING to UN-LEARN ..... Spyders are driven just like Cars ...NEVER like a two wheeler .... no clutch, one brake pedal, annnnnnnnnnd they don't tip over ( unless you really really try ) I was very fortunate buying my first Spyder ( an 08 GS V-twin ) .... The dealer/ manager told me to just drive it like a car and immediately test out how great the brakes are ( ie. stop on a dime and gives change ) I've been on this forum a long time and am willing to share what I know with you anytime ( you can PM me ). ... DO NOT take any passengers until you feel VERY confidant in your driving. *hit can happen VERY quickly and having a pass. is not a plus .... good luck ... read the " do's and dont's " posted on the home page ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2022 at 02:55 AM. Reason: p[osted = posted ;-)

Spyder Garage

Smile New member

Welcome to the Spyderlovers forum. Lots of good information here.
    listen to Mike he knows his stuff when it comes to Spyders.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Newbie Tips

...Welcome to the Spyder Forum.

Have you already checked out the RTs and F3s?
    Some people have said that they enjoyed the RT/RTL better for 2 up.
    The F3s are more for the 1 up or occasional 2 up.
    What you want and what you feel while ryding is your choice.
    For me I went with a RT/L. The wife said she felt more comfortable with the RTL.

Definitely check out both Spyders.
    Have yourself a grand time. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Me thinks "late 30's", they are more into the F3, simply because it is more like a sportscar.... have absolutely nothing against the RT/ RTL, they are just as fast, but the F3 is just sportier.... while the RT/ Rtl is more suited for long drives...
    It's all bout personal preferences....
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome. See that you are from Illinois. If you have ever rode a snowmobile, the Spyder is the summer extension and you will have no problem. Agree with Little Blue, ride the F3 and the RT and compare the two for two up riding. You could always get two F3s. You'll enjoy whichever you get.

Have a 2014 Spyder RTL. If I was doing all solo riding I'd have an F3.

When first looking, rode a 2018 F3 Limited. Took the Mrs for a long two up ride - she liked it. Found our 2014 RTL, she liked the ride better, bought the RTL. Loaned our RTL to the Mrs' brother. He and his Mrs went for a ride, liked it. Borrowed my friends F3 so they could compare. The Mrs' brother's wife preferred the F3 for two up riding, he bought the F3. Go figure.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

and on your new Spyder.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Hmmmm. Kinda worried about that statement.

I highly suggest that after you get your bike, to ride in UNCONGESTED areas. Sometimes, newbie riders get "freaked out" (for a lack of a better term) being around cars, trucks, big rigs, especially going at highway speeds. Your wife *may* get extremely nervous, and the whole Wind Therapy thing may not be "her bag" after experiencing it, even to the point of not enjoying the rides anymore.

Just watch out for these signs, because not many are "adrenaline junkies" and wish the safety of a cage when tooling around.

Good luck, welcome to the addicting Spyder World, and I hope that you and your wife enjoy one of the coolest vehicles around as much as the many members here !!
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Take the 3-wheel course! You'll be able to get familiar with the spyder before venturing out into the 'wilds'.
    https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...istration.html
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Well just keep in mind if your wife is anything like mine whatever you paid double it. Once she rode mine for the first time she went and got her license. We are looking for a second.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

My spouse, is enthusiast, but only as a backseat driver, she absolutely doesn't want to drive....
    I do drive different , read more cruisinstyle, as she's kinda scared, she doesn't like quick acceleration, as my son, who couldn't care less, if every stoplight, is a drag race ticker
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ...Welcome to the Spyder Forum.

Have you already checked out the RTs and F3s?
    Some people have said that they enjoyed the RT/RTL better for 2 up.
    The F3s are more for the 1 up or occasional 2 up.
    What you want and what you feel while ryding is your choice.
    For me I went with a RT/L. The wife said she felt more comfortable with the RTL.

Definitely check out both Spyders.
    Have yourself a grand time. ......
    Yeah, we went to a dealer and sat on an older RT a brand new RTL and a brand new F3. The newer RTL was comfortable, but way over budget. So was the new F3 for that matter. But I'm 6'2" and liked the feet forward F3 the best.

I'm just going to putt around the neighborhood for a while to get used to it. I only work about 3 miles away from my house, so I'll have plenty of shorter runs to get used to how it corners, stops, accelerates etc. before I get her up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Take the 3-wheel course! You'll be able to get familiar with the spyder before venturing out into the 'wilds'.
    The closest one to me is about 4 hours away unfortunately.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2022 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Fixed multi/duplicate posts & 'Reply with Quote' display. ;-)

Spyder Garage

4 hours on a spyder, is a piece of cake, you'll enjoy every mile,
    For commuting 3 miles, that won't get the spyder warm enough, and will drain the battery (spyders are hungry, for batterypower), try and squeeze in some more miles, to get your spyder up to temp.
    If you drive it like a car, it won't be difficult, and as for not driving a 2wheeler before, you'll get used to it fairly quickly.

Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

...... I'm just going to putt around the neighborhood for a while to get used to it. I only work about 3 miles away from my house, so I'll have plenty of shorter runs to get used to how it corners, stops, accelerates etc. before I get her up to speed. ......

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    4 hours on a spyder, is a piece of cake, you'll enjoy every mile,
    For commuting 3 miles, that won't get the spyder warm enough, and will drain the battery (spyders are hungry, for batterypower), try and squeeze in some more miles, to get your spyder up to temp.
    If you drive it like a car, it won't be difficult, and as for not driving a 2wheeler before, you'll get used to it fairly quickly.
    I gotta agree with what Piratezz says - these things are power hungry machines, and more than just a couple of 3 mile runs a week without AT LEAST the same number of 30 minute plus runs at highway speed/revs is NOT going to be good for the long term reliability of your Spyder's battery!!

So if you're using it to commute to work, then you really need to find a 'long way to/from work' and take that at least a couple of times a week, and it should really include those 30 mins miles plus of highway speeds/revs from the outset, or you risk killing the battery over time and having it fail on you when you least want it to!

Not only will this get you up to speed with your Spyder ryding quicker than pussy-footing around & learning all sorts of bad habits you'll need to unlearn later, but it'll also get & keep your battery in good nick from the outset - and it's a good excuse for a ride too!

Get out there & ride it, the more saddle time you get (at highway speeds too!) the quicker/better you'll sort it all out and the more you'll enjoy it!

Just Do It! You Know You Want To!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Remember, you heard it here. What Piratezz and Peter said is right in the bulls-eye. The temperature gauge on a Spyder measures only the temperature of the engine coolant and has nothing to do with the temperature of the oil in the dry sump lubrication system. Therefore, if you aren't going to ride at least 20 miles nonstop, take some other form of transportation. Also, if you aren't going to ride it several times a week I suggest keeping it on a battery maintainer, not a trickle charger. The Deltran Battery Tender Jr. is a very reliable and inexpensive brand.

Last and most important, read the bloody operator's guide from cover to cover several times. It is a compendium of very useful information that can save you time asking simple questions the answers to which are between the covers.
    Last edited by JayBros; 03-19-2022 at 07:07 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    few things: Both you & wife please take a motorcycle training course So will not be overwhelmed & learning at same time. Class will cover basic safety techniques for both two or three wheels. Also https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners
    Find comfortable riding gear before accessories. Enjoy

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I gotta agree with what Piratezz says - these things are power hungry machines, and more than just a couple of 3 mile runs a week without AT LEAST the same number of 30 minute plus runs at highway speed/revs is NOT going to be good for the long term reliability of your Spyder's battery!!

So if you're using it to commute to work, then you really need to find a 'long way to/from work' and take that at least a couple of times a week, and it should really include those 30 mins miles plus of highway speeds/revs from the outset, or you risk killing the battery over time and having it fail on you when you least want it to!

Not only will this get you up to speed with your Spyder ryding quicker than pussy-footing around & learning all sorts of bad habits you'll need to unlearn later, but it'll also get & keep your battery in good nick from the outset - and it's a good excuse for a ride too!

Get out there & ride it, the more saddle time you get (at highway speeds too!) the quicker/better you'll sort it all out and the more you'll enjoy it!

Just Do It! You Know You Want To!
    Will definitely be taking the long road! Thanks for the advice.

Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Welcome from Southern Illinois, and good luck with your purchase. You are going to love it. Just give yourself plenty of time, and heed Mikes ( BLUEKNIGHT911 ) given advice. You will do fine. You'll even surprise yourself once you get the hang of handling and maneuvering it.

My situation was similar to yours when I purchased my RT. Never driven one until the day I purchased it. Although, I did a tremendous amount ( many many hours ) of forum research, reading, youtube videos, etc., beforehand just to make sure I at least knew how to properly start it. All the videos I had watched surely helped me to familiarize the controls. For me, the driving was the easy part, and was even better once I learned to relax my hold /grip on the handlebars. Like driving your car.

You'll do fine within a few hundred miles under your seat. Take it slow, ride cautiously, and always be aware of your surroundings. Most of all.... ENJOY!

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The closest one to me is about 4 hours away unfortunately.

Yep, unfortunately for us Illinoisans, currently there are only 3 Spyder Riding Training locations. Palestine, Lake Villa and Chicago Heights. All up North and the closest being Chicago Heights for my area, approx. 4 1/2 hours away. Not sure of your location bluesfanatic, but sure would be nice if they had a more centralized training location, preferably near Springfield. That would surely help for Southern Illinois as well.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
    Yep, unfortunately for us Illinoisans, currently there are only 3 Spyder Riding Training locations. Palestine, Lake Villa and Chicago Heights. All up North and the closest being Chicago Heights for my area, approx. 4 1/2 hours away. Not sure of your location bluesfanatic, but sure would be nice if they had a more centralized training location, preferably near Springfield. That would surely help for Southern Illinois as well.
    I thought about taking the one in Missouri because it was closer, but that doesn't really help me get my Illinois license..

Spyder Garage

I thought about taking the one in Missouri because it was closer, but that doesn't really help me get my Illinois license..
    Exactly!! Last year I had contacted the Missouri Riding Course for a friend asking the same question. It was stated "All" are welcome to attend and take the course, but as for us Illinoisans, it is not approved at Illinois DMVs.

Would have been nice because it is relatively nearby for the Metro side. And you would think that the instructional, and driving, courses would be universal for Spyders /Rykers throughout, regardless. The closest for you, and I as well, is Chicago Heights.

Rick
    Last edited by Briorick; 03-20-2022 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White