Spyder Garage

Default What speaker replacements for 2011 Spyder RT?

Good day fellow spyder lovers.

I have recently purchased a 2011 Spyder RT SM5 and was looking at getting new speakers for the front and back. I have noticed I have the harness for the rear speakers but the speakers were not installed.

Can anyone tell me the sizes of the speakers front and rear and some advice on brand.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2022 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not engine/size related

Spyder Garage

I think they are 4.5 inches. could be wrong. Sounds like your model is a RT, Audio and Conveniance model. It came with only the front speakers but the rear wiring was there, just no speakers. The RTS and the RT Limited came with all 4 speakers. Base RT did not come with any radio. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pndennie View Post
    Good day fellow spyder lovers.

I have recently purchased a 2011 Spyder RT SM5 and was looking at getting new speakers for the front and back. I have noticed I have the harness for the rear speakers but the speakers were not installed.

Can anyone tell me the sizes of the speakers front and rear and some advice on brand.

Cheers.
    ...&... .... I have posted a number of threads about why & how I swapped the OEM's for after-market JBL speakers .... including How To Use 5.25 in size for the rear .... The JBL's were only 2 ohm and have worked flawlessly for 66,000 + mi. ... and they really rock ..... If you do a swap , get as close to 2 ohms as you can .... they DON"T have to be " Marine " type either ... NO decent speaker made today uses NON waterproof materials ... Mine were reg. car speakers .... Also you MUST do all speakers or shut OFF the REAR ones ....WHY ??? ... because if you don't the only speakers you'll notice are the BAD OEM ones. .... good luck .... Mike :.....PS ..the fronts on my 14 RT was 5.25 in...& I'm pretty sure yours are also ... the REARs were an off-size 4 in. but as I said 5.25 in. will fit if you make the hole 4 5/8 dia. ...easy to do with a dremel and course stone ....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-16-2022 at 03:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Perusing through the JBL web sight I see two sets of speakers that look to be direct replacement. The first set look to be the standard replacements at 89.00 per set 2 ohm impedance...not bad at all. The second set , called the stadium set at 289.00 a pair at 3 ohm impedance. While I am sure the second set are much better, they ought to be, I can't think they would be worth the investment for our usage.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rgus View Post
    Perusing through the JBL web sight I see two sets of speakers that look to be direct replacement. The first set look to be the standard replacements at 89.00 per set 2 ohm impedance...not bad at all. The second set , called the stadium set at 289.00 a pair at 3 ohm impedance. While I am sure the second set are much better, they ought to be, I can't think they would be worth the investment for our usage.
    IO Looooooooooove my tunes ..... and require clarity & volume ( it's on a Mtc. ) ... I bought the GTO line which were the lower end model ( at the time ) .... and less cost ... I think they are great ... Listening to music on an Mtc, is challenging for the EAR .... You are wearing a helmet at 50 to 80 mph + outside sounds. ... Concert quality speakers are a waste of money ... save those for your Home .... The major makers of speakers ( JBL , Polk, Kicker, etc. ) make quality speakers even at the bottom of the model line, and are certainly good enough for any Mtc. type vehicle. ..... I think all Auto speakers are nominally 4 Ohm's .... Using a 2 Ohm speaker esentially Doubles the power output of the Head unit ( ie. the radio). As I stated above don't combine or mix OEM speakers with after-market. .... because the crappy speakers will be what you hear ... and ruin the sound of the good speakers .... PM me with any questions ..... Mike