Spyder Garage

Default Finally sorted my Brake Rod & Position!

I searched but couldn't find my exact situation, so I thought I'd post my experience in hopes that it may help someone else contemplating changing their brake rod. When I first purchased my F3 S, I experienced the uncomfortable high brake pedal like many others, so I decided a LaMonster position 3 rod would be the remedy. While the lower pedal did help, I realized that position 4 would probably be a better fit for my 33-34 inch inseam. Position 4 was better, but it still wasn't hitting the sweet spot. I then decided to get the Spyder Logo boards from Value Accessories. I was getting closer, but I still wasn't there because the LaMonster brake rod doesn't play well with these boards. Therefore I finally settled with an OEM position 5 rod with the Spyder Logo boards. BINGO, this provides the best feel and function. I hope someone else can benefit from my trial and error.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

Ran into kinda the same situation. Purchased mine with stock position 3. Felt I needed a bit more length and thought pos 4 was it so I bought that rod. Then realized my thighs were hurting in that position and settled on pos 5 with pegs. Personal opinion but it feels more like riding a motorcycle with pegs rather than boards. Just sold my pos 3 rod for about what my pos 5 cost.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

I decided to hang onto the other rods just in case my daughter ends up with the F3 one day, like she did with my RS.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Ran into kinda the same situation. Purchased mine with stock position 3. Felt I needed a bit more length and thought pos 4 was it so I bought that rod. Then realized my thighs were hurting in that position and settled on pos 5 with pegs. Personal opinion but it feels more like riding a motorcycle with pegs rather than boards. Just sold my pos 3 rod for about what my pos 5 cost.
    Just curious... what is your inseam?? I don't want to waste money on the 4 position rod if the 5 would work better.
    2019 F3 Limited , Position 5 brake rod Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluesfanatic View Post
    Just curious... what is your inseam?? I don't want to waste money on the 4 position rod if the 5 would work better.
    Pants inseam 34. I am 6'2".
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

after changing the right side for the brake do you also have to change the one for the shifter side for the f3?

same rod?
    Last edited by foolofsand; 02-25-2023 at 02:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by foolofsand View Post
    after changing the right side for the brake do you also have to change the one for the shifter side for the f3?

same rod?
    Only if you've got a manual & move that peg & the shift lever too!

Sorry, can't help with info re which rod.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-25-2023 at 05:50 PM. Reason: .
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

same rod?
    No shift rod on the left. Just have to unbolt the peg and move it further up and rebolt.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

yep found brp part--2 rods for shifter and brake

Spyder Garage

same rod?
    Which model/year F3 do you have, foolofsand? That will determine whether you even HAVE a foot shifter.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red