Spyder Garage

Default Dead Battery and can't engage parking brake

I got the bike out this week, 2016 F3, battery is new from dealer in 2020, had been on maintainer. I drove to work 17 miles Sunday. Drove from work to quick stop, and started bike without issue up to this point. Needed fuel, have to turn off to unlock fuel door so I know everything was off. All accessories are on accessory circuit so they only work when machine is running. After filling up, I had power, went through my "normal" startup and disengaged the parking brake in the process. Bike would not turn over, not enough juice.

So I quickly realized I had a bit of a problem in that I could re-engage the parking brake. I looked all over and I don't see an emergency process to set it if the battery fails. Am I missing something here? I had to chock the wheels with rocks until I could get a jump start. This was more challenging that you think as I was on a slight incline and the wind was blowing hard. I feel like this is a safety issue, there has to be a way to set the park brake in this situation right?

Any help is greatly appreciated and if I missed this information already posted here link me to it, I could not find it.

BTW, battery had a bad cell, portable jump starter is now carried with me, new replacement battery to be installed Wednesday.
    Roy.

2016-F3T
    2013 ST , White

Spyder Garage

My parking brake stopped holding about a year after I purchased it new. since the dealership was 90 mi. away and it took a couple of days to get an appointment, I just chocked the rear wheel with whatever was available including rocks. PB motor was replaced under warranty.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Chocked until new battery. Maybe if had some disk locks one on either side caliper , or cable lock through the rim around swing arm maybe. Almost last ditch efforts with risk of forgetting & damages already distracted by jump starting. Probably best let it sit & wait if you have other options.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    My parking brake stopped holding about a year after I purchased it new. since the dealership was 90 mi. away and it took a couple of days to get an appointment, I just chocked the rear wheel with whatever was available including rocks. PB motor was replaced under warranty.
    I used to carry a kickstand pad in my two-wheel days in case I had to park on soft ground. Now I need to carry a wheel chock in case my parking brake fails? Well, I am happy I don’t have to carry the kickstand pad anymore. I knew I would find a good purpose for my small, collapsible chock that I had the foresight to buy many years ago!
    2021 Sea to Sky

Mods: Pedal Commander, RLS Black Ceramic Coated Cat Delete, Passenger Armrests, Driver Backrest, FOBO TPMS, Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn, Foam Handgrips

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

leave brake set till started

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    leave brake set till started
    Yup. I always do that.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl