Spyder Garage

Default Is this reasonable for Programming a 2021 RT Key?

The dealer I purchased my RT from in Tucson ordered a spare key for me, no cost. Come to find out it needs to be programed, half hour shop time at $82.
    Don't have time to dink around when I get to Tucson in 2 weeks, made the appointment to get it done, heading to Seattle.

Figured the key was chipped, didn't think I'd be shelling out $82 to have it programed; does this sound reasonable?
    Jay, Anchorage AK

2021 RT Limited, Asphalt Gray Matallic/Chrome

Spyder Garage

look at the key, its not cut either. will have to be done a keysmith shop. prog key takes a little time, some dealers do it for free, others charge. i would ask them to do it for free, as you wanted 2 keys when purchased!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most dealers don't cut blank keys. They contract them out to be cut. However, cutting and programming a key should only take about 15 minutes. With a cup of coffee, maybe 30 minutes?

Spyder Garage

I'll call the dealer and see if they will cut the key, just assuming they would. Will also reach out to front office to see if they can get service to wave the cost, gotta count my pennies!
    Jay, Anchorage AK

Spyder Garage

It should have come with two keys, if not they owe you one.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Two Working Keys Please

Quote Originally Posted by 907Guy View Post
    The dealer I purchased my RT from in Tucson ordered a spare key for me, no cost. Come to find out it needs to be programed, half hour shop time at $82.
    Don't have time to dink around when I get to Tucson in 2 weeks, made the appointment to get it done, heading to Seattle.

Figured the key was chipped, didn't think I'd be shelling out $82 to have it programed; does this sound reasonable?
    I would ask the Spyder Dealer to provide 'Two Working Keys', at no charge. This is the way it is for a new Spyder.

If you bought it used or as is that's a different story.

Good Luck with Your Mission. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

bought used from dealer: mandatory 2 keys and full tank of gas. Filters, tires checked and fresh red oil. Used from a private seller, not unless you insist before laying out your long hard green!
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

I bought new, thought it should come with 2 keys, thanks for confirming this ; I'll be calling them today.
    Jay, Anchorage AK

Spyder Garage

Last January 2021 I bought new RT Limited it came with 2 keys.

Spyder Garage

brand new????? shipped with 2 keys. service or dealership lost that other one. stomp your feet till you get a FREE one
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I hope I’m not maligning the Tucson dealer, but you have to ask what happened to the second key? I do hope it’s not sitting in the manager’s drawer, waiting to be “programmed” to your RT at $82.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I hope I’m not maligning the Tucson dealer, but you have to ask what happened to the second key? I do hope it’s not sitting in the manager’s drawer, waiting to be “programmed” to your RT at $82.

Pete
    Wow, I hope this is not the case. Then you never know.
    Hopefully this Dealer will do the right thing. ...
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

This will be just a point of reference on the cost from fall of 2017. We had bit of a problem with keys when first getting our Spyder--too long of an irrelevant story to share here though.

The solution to our dilemma was to take the Spyder to the nearest dealer in Lubbock. They would only order the keys as a pair but I had to pick the keys up, take them to a lock-smith to cut then return to the dealer for programming. Cutting cost me $10 each and the dealer "says" gave me a break on the rest at $122 for the keys and programming. My total cost was then at $142 for two keys.

EDIT: Just for the record, we bought from an individual so the Lubbock dealer was in no way responsible for us having only one key to begin with. That's only a small part of the rest of the long story that's still irrelevant here.
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 03-17-2022 at 02:27 PM.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I had a key made and programmed at the dealer for a 14 RT 2 weeks ago for $75 plus tax
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Well I just had keys made from a locksmith (no chip) for a hide a key in the event the key gets locked in the frunk (happened recently). The locksmith was asking if I needed the chipped key. Apparently they can make chipped keys for 50 bucks. He said that he has not tried to make one for a Spyder but he said that it should work. He read the key code from one of my keys so I assume he would program the new key with the same code so you would not have to do any programming on the bike. So that may be an option if anyone is looking for a spare key.
    2021 Syder RT Limited

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shardt View Post
    Well I just had keys made from a locksmith (no chip) for a hide a key in the event the key gets locked in the frunk (happened recently). The locksmith was asking if I needed the chipped key. Apparently they can make chipped keys for 50 bucks. He said that he has not tried to make one for a Spyder but he said that it should work. He read the key code from one of my keys so I assume he would program the new key with the same code so you would not have to do any programming on the bike. So that may be an option if anyone is looking for a spare key.
    What he is describing is cloning a key. That could be done until 2014. Since then the keys use a "rolling code" or a super secret algorithm for the code. No one has been able to clone one. It's been tried by several members here with no success. The only solution to having a chipped spare key is buy from the dealer.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I just bought a used machine, 2010 RTS, and only received one key. I bought the chipped key blank from the dealership ($71cdn). I had to get the key cut at a local locksmiths for less than $4cdn then back to the dealership for programming, listed as $70. If you need a key to just unlock all the compartments, there is an unchipped blank available for I believe a Suzuki that will work.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-03-2022 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Yr/Model

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 907Guy View Post

Had it done a month ago. $60 for key at dealer. $20 for me to get it cut at locksmiths. $40 to program at dealer. Bobs can Am, Massachusetts

Spyder Garage

I only had one key when I bought my 2010 rt-s. I wanted a second key, so went to the nearest dealer. The blank key alone cost me $71, then I had to take to a lock smith to get it cut which cost $4. I then had to return to the dealer to get it programed. They did it for an additional $20, but said the normal price was $70. They offered the deal because I had also bought a new tire.