Spyder Garage

Default SE6 paddle sticking....again!

I have reported on here more than once about my wife's problems with her 2015 RT struggling to shift down (actually, 3 different problems caused this issue over the 5 years she owned it!).

She now has a 2021 Sea-to-Sky with only 1500 miles on it....and it has started happening again! Out on a short ride, she slowed down to a stop from 5th gear and the bike did not downshift at all. She managed to do it manually, and then limped home, having to manually downshift as required.

Thanks to our previous experience with the issue, it quickly became apparent that the cause was the famous "paddle not returning to center". I couldn't believe that a spring had broken already, and indeed it felt like the paddle was simply sticking in its attempts to recenter. As we had done on the 2015 model, we sprayed WD-40 on the external parts of the paddle - basically just the pivot - and that immediately solved the problem.

It occured to us that the only unusual thing she had done recently was participate in a funeral procession for a fallen biker in pouring rain, 2 days earlier. The bike had done about 50 miles after that before the problem suddenly started, so it wasn't obvious that this could have caused it, until......

Later that evening, she got a message from a friend who had also been in that funeral ride on his brand new RT. He was complaining that his bike had suddenly stopped downshifting, and he found that WD-40 immediately fixed it!

So it seems like the latest RT's do not like rain — a major flaw in an outdoor vehicle I think! Our dealer says he has never heard of anyone else having this issue, but he will raise it with BRP. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Spyder Garage

Thank you for putting this out here, It looks like we have another thing to keep a eye on, that is if you have a new style ride!! I have never had a lick of trouble with my old sled, and we have been in a lot of rain!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree I myself had not any issues with the paddle shifter. Is there something you're using that could be causing it to stick? Since it is now doing it on your new Spyder and has done it on your old Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Is there something you're using that could be causing it to stick? Since it is now doing it on your new Spyder and has done it on your old Spyder.
    I might have started thinking that way if it hadn't also happened under the same circumstances on our friend's RT.

At least we are aware of the issue now — so my wife has started carrying some WD40 on the bike, as she did on her last one.

Spyder Garage

If this is a 2021 Spyder why do you not get it to a dealership and have the whole assembly replaced under warranty. Also, while WD40 may temporarily solve the problem it is not the correct fluid to use.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If this is a 2021 Spyder why do you not get it to a dealership and have the whole assembly replaced under warranty. Also, while WD40 may temporarily solve the problem it is not the correct fluid to use.
    Then tell us what the right one would be!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have had this problem before on my 2014 RTL. Found spring broken in the shifter module. Contacted brp and was told that the complete module has to be replaced, individual springs are not available. I was able to scrounge up a suitable replacement. I hate to have to change out the complete module because of a broken spring, does anyone know where you can find these springs? Would like to replace them with new ones.
    2014 RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Then tell us what the right one would be!
    I would use a silicone spray, but, before that I would get it to a dealership to be replaced on BRP's nickel.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Interesting I washed my 2021 RTL a few weeks ago the next day I noticed the downshift paddle didn’t always return to center. Seems it doesn’t like to be slowly depressed but prefers to be tapped quickly an roll finger off the edge and it pops back to center. Thinking about spraying a little Teflon lube on it.
    2021 RTL , Marsala

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotbob View Post
    Interesting I washed my 2021 RTL a few weeks ago the next day I noticed the downshift paddle didn’t always return to center. Seems it doesn’t like to be slowly depressed but prefers to be tapped quickly an roll finger off the edge and it pops back to center. Thinking about spraying a little Teflon lube on it.
    When you WASH a Spyder, we need to be careful of where that HOSE goes.... RAIN has little to no effect on the Spyder electrics ... however high force water can almost anywhere .... usually where it does'nt belong ..... JMHO ... Mike and