Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What a process I have started, why oh why?

No turning back now. Where do I start and where does it end?

Started off as a simple let’s order some graphics from Wrap My Spyder and put them on. First lets take some panels off and give the RTL a good all over cleaning. Besides, it will be easier to clay block everything and get it ready for when they get here.

Panels off.....why don’t we put that new set of plugs in that I got from Baja Ron before installing the tune from Dynajet using the Power Vision tuner that just came in?

Going this far might as well repair the cable that opens the frunk. Must have a kink in it somewhere as both ends are still connected, and it does not appear to be broken in the middle.

Oh go ahead, take the frunk off and tidy up some wiring going to the Neutrino Aurora Plus, might even make getting to the spark plugs easier. Where oh where are those pesky little plugs anyway?

Wonder what else I will come up with that needs to be done!

Sure glad it’s crappy weather outside.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Remove and inspect you front belt pulley splines for wear. Reassemble using Moly Paste.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Remove and inspect you front belt pulley splines for wear. Reassemble using Moly Paste.
    Changed it out for the white one about 10,000 miles ago. Lookin good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ed, you really got into it, I admire your tenacity. Cool trailer by the way.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

hmmmm......getting too close to riding weather to start all that. If that was me, between the kids needing help, the grandkids wanting attention, and work, I wouldn't get to ride this year.
    Your a better man than I am!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

It's called the " while I'm there" syndrome.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I feel you man. It's kind of like pulling weeds in the garden. You see one weed and pull it. Then you notice another weed and pull that one too. Then you spot yet another weed. Next thing you know it's dinner time, your back hurts but your garden is weed free.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I feel you man. It's kind of like pulling weeds in the garden. You see one weed and pull it. Then you notice another weed and pull that one too. Then you spot yet another weed. Next thing you know it's dinner time, your back hurts but your garden is weed free.
    Don't forget that your knees, hips and every other moving joint that you have hurts.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Oh come on GK! We all know that NEVER happens.....

There's no such thing as a weed free garden They're always there, just waiting for you to drop your guard or look the other way And if you ever think "nah, I'm too stiff & sore today to do any weeding..." the more you ache & groan, the more likely they'll sense this, put on a massive growth spurt, run amok, & be everywhere by this time termorra - making the weeding job even harder than it was when you started! Bloody Weeds!

At least your Spyder doesn't grow more tupperware if you turn your back on it for a moment - even if the little things that need doing do multiply the longer you look at it!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    At least your Spyder doesn't grow more tupperware if you turn your back on it for a moment - even if the little things that need doing do multiply the longer you look at it!
    Peter, are you sure about that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    ... At least your Spyder doesn't grow more tupperware if you turn your back on it for a moment - even if the little things that need doing do multiply the longer you look at it!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Peter, are you sure about that.
    It juuust might be wishful thinking.... . It sure feels like they might grow more tupperware some days; especially on those long, hot days when I have no choice but to keep on working on the Spyder task at hand! . But I really hope they don't grow more, and will keep on trying to convince myself that's the true case until proven wrong!

And if anyone wants to argue otherwise, talk to the hand, cos I'm NOT gonna be listening!

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-10-2022 at 10:40 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Well, got the plugs in. Ground electrode worn enuff that the gap was .035 . plugs2.jpg

Hardest part of the project so far is getting the nut back on the hose in the primary air box. Still can't get the hose to stick in just right. Gave up for a bit. too cold.

Front trunk cable was broken after all. Looks like it's rusted in, too. None in stock any where I looked.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-12-2022 at 05:32 PM. Reason: truck = trunk ;-)

Spyder Garage

I tied a sheathed cable to the latch and never use the key. The seat too.

SAFETY CABLE.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Yep, done that a while back. Only way I have been able to open.

Spyder Garage

Got the plastic retaining nut in the primary air box solved. Took the bolts back out of the right side secondary air box and shoved it over towards the left side about an inch. This also let it drop slightly. This put the hose in the right place and the retaining nut went right on. Now that I have been thru it I will not dread the next plug change.

Took the frunk cable completely out. The outer housing looks perfect. Cable was rusted into about the middle and the rust about 8" on either side of the break.

Start again tomorrow!

Spyder Garage

Good job, well done!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Got the decals on from WrapMySpyder. Have to get some good pics to post. This is just letting it set out in the sun to make sure the glue sets. Have to wait another week before I can wax it.
    IMG_1351.jpg

Flashed the ECU with the PV3 from DynoJet. To say I had the first time jitters would be an understatement. Will I brick it, will I brick it, will I.....

Instructions says it may take 10 minutes................it does. I wish it didn't start off with "Erase unneeded files" or something similar. Cranked right up when done. Had to meet someone to eat so I didn't get to do the testing I wanted, but, I will say there is a huge difference in low end torque. Roll into it in fifth gear from about 35 MPH and it just picks right up. Hope to get some 0 to 60 MPH times tomorrow to compare to before.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, got the plugs in. Ground electrode worn enuff that the gap was .035 . plugs2.jpg
    How many miles were on your OEM plugs? They look good like you've been getting a clean burn. Aren't OEM plug gaps .34/.35?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2022 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    How many miles were on your OEM plugs? They look good like you've been getting a clean burn. Aren't OEM plug gaps .34/.35?
    Over 38,000 miles. .028 to .031 is what the manual calls for.

Spyder Garage

Over 38,000 miles. .028 to .031 is what the manual calls for.
    I found that 28,000 miles to soon to change, but 40,000 to late. Looks like you got them changed in time. That air box nut is a major pain to reattach! The air box on the 2020+ RT's is harder to remove than the previous years in that the upper black Tupperware support has to be loosened so you can raise it for clearance for pulling the air box. On a positive note the headlines are easier to remove giving better access to the plugs.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Let me share a few misconceptions I had about the PV3. I thought more than one optional tune would be readily available based on the list for the 1330 on their website. Can't load them. Only the one option that comes preloaded. Maybe available for purchase?

I thought when I downloaded their Dynajet Power Core software I would be able to compare the stock and replacement tunes. Nope, the replacement is password protected.

Not deal breakers by any means, just a little disappointed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No turning back now. Where do I start and where does it end?

Started off as a simple let’s order some graphics from Wrap My Spyder and put them on. First lets take some panels off and give the RTL a good all over cleaning. Besides, it will be easier to clay block everything and get it ready for when they get here.

Panels off.....why don’t we put that new set of plugs in that I got from Baja Ron before installing the tune from Dynajet using the Power Vision tuner that just came in?

Going this far might as well repair the cable that opens the frunk. Must have a kink in it somewhere as both ends are still connected, and it does not appear to be broken in the middle.

Oh go ahead, take the frunk off and tidy up some wiring going to the Neutrino Aurora Plus, might even make getting to the spark plugs easier. Where oh where are those pesky little plugs anyway?

Wonder what else I will come up with that needs to be done!

Sure glad it’s crappy weather outside.
    Put the tools down and go inside, get pen and paper.
    Write down the original list you planned to do in the 1st place
    Go back to the garage with the list - leaving the pen behind. remove any writing implements from the garage in case you are tempted to edit the list.
    Resume working as per the list

I am stuck in this ever increasing list of tasks with my home - I think I need help - not witht eh jobs that need doing - the psychological kind of help
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Now hold on there askitee, I think I resemble that remark.

Or, should.

Spyder Garage

Quick update on the PV3 tune. Limited testing has shown 0 to 60 times have dropped by more than 1/2 second. But it feels more like 1 and 1/2 seconds

The low end torque change is what blows my mind tho. If someone likes to max out carrying/pulling weight they need to do this mod.

Spyder Garage

Some pics of the Wrap My Spyder decals added. Still not waxed yet and it got a little dirt on it in route to the reservoir.
    DSC_0402.jpg
    DSC_0410.jpg
    DSC_0417.jpg