Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Question for the seasoned one-up road warriors. Sway Bars

Hi Folks! I'm sure this question has been asked numerous time, but please humor this relative newbie.

I'm looking to the future in taking longer rides. My aim is to have better control in high winds and maneuvering around semi's on interstates riding one-up (as opposed to tearing through twisties).

Is it worth the investment in a beefier sway bar (BajaRon more than likely)? Or, since I'll be riding solo, is the stock sway bar sufficient?
    2021 F3 Limited , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JBMGDM View Post
    Hi Folks! I'm sure this question has been asked numerous time, but please humor this relative newbie.

I'm looking to the future in taking longer rides. My aim is to have better control in high winds and maneuvering around semi's on interstates riding one-up (as opposed to tearing through twisties).

Is it worth the investment in a beefier sway bar (BajaRon more than likely)? Or, since I'll be riding solo, is the stock sway bar sufficient?
    Given the criteria above, YES!

That said, the stock sway bar may well be 'sufficient', but if better control in the stated circumstances is your aim, then an upgraded sway bar will provide a significant improvement over just 'sufficient', and IMHO, that improvement in control & therefore safety, rider confidence, & comfort would be worth it at twice the price! There again, your milage may vary.... . But you did ask...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-07-2022 at 04:56 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

For interstate driving the sway bar upgrade will definitely help especially around semi’s.
    Also switching to good car tires will provide additional stability.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

The beefier sway bar helps with cornering, wind gusts, and semis. Shocks will improve ride on irregular surfaces (bumps). Tires will improve ride, traction, and longevity.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

The stock sway bar should be replaced regardless of load and riding conditions. Upgrading will improve your handling in many ways...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

absolutely

Spyder Garage

Default Your Magic Words

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

That said, the stock sway bar may well be 'sufficient', but if better control in the stated circumstances is your aim, then an upgraded sway bar will provide a significant improvement over just 'sufficient', and IMHO, that improvement in control & therefore safety, rider confidence, & comfort would be worth it at twice the price! There again, your milage may vary.... . But you did ask...

You've conveyed the magic words - improvement in control & therefore safety, rider confidence, & comfort. Thanks Peter!

Spyder Garage

Yes !!

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

with Peter, but I still don't have one .... My experience has been different though .... I designed and made a Bracket that changed the ANGLE of the Front shocks (a lot more up-right ) It appears the OEM shocks now work better..... So I never got the SWAY-BAR ...... I know it works, get one ...... Mike .......PS if your curious about what ,my Brackets look like , I have pics with explanations in my Albums ....." shock re-locators 2013+ & F-3
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-07-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

All plenty of positives above FYI still oem @ 70+k miles all laid back & casual, can’t say have had any difficulty around trucks , maybe just not as bothered each their own with that said - additional lighting a definite plus for just being seen on those solo interstate stretches. Enjoy
    Last edited by Bfromla; 03-07-2022 at 07:56 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I went for 6+ years without changing my swaybar (all solo riding). This year I bit the bullet and got the BajaRon bar but due to the cool/cold weather limited my trips to local only....no highway riding whatsoever. This past weekend I did a quick trip up to another town, riding at highway speeds (110 kph to 120 kph) and couldn’t believe the difference in my ride. My RTS is now firmly planted on the highway. It feels far more secure. I’m running Vredesteins on the front and Altimax 43 on the rear. The combination of those tires AND the BAJA RON SWAYBAR gave me a brand new ride. jmho wthdik

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Another vote up for the BajaRon sway bar here. Definitely made a noticeable difference.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I don't confuse investment with spending, but adding a swaybar, IMO, was definately an investment in control, handling, comfort and increased yee haw.
    If you are still on Kenda tires, ditch them and get real car tires - another real investment that's even more effectiver.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Yes, it well worth having a sway bar.

I am a solo rider myself, I have noticed a difference when I am maneuvering on the interstate,and on my local roads. The spyder handles much better and sticks to the road better.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The beefier sway bar helps with cornering, wind gusts, and semis. Shocks will improve ride on irregular surfaces (bumps). Tires will improve ride, traction, and longevity.
    Well said. I ride solo and alot on the highway. Baja Ron sway bar was one of the first additions to my bike.
    Tires will be my next investment.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

GET THE SWAYBAR, it will make for a better handling byke, and get a decent brand tyre, they also make a huge difference, do one upgrade at a time, so you'll notice the benefits...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

On my 2020RT it was a big improvement: Straight line stability was greatly improved (I can one hand it on the interstate at 80 mph) and the Spyder was a lot less jittery in the twisties. Worth every penny spent.
    Sold: 2020RT base with numerous improvements and farkles
    Previous 2 wheels: 3 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha and 1 Husqvarna

Spyder Garage

I have the lighting situation under control. Those were my first mods.

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With all due respect to posters and products, I’m going to say, if you have the inclination and the money, upgrade whatever you wish. I’ve had 3 Spyders in my life so far. I’ve used car tires, sway bars, different shocks, etc.. On those Spyders, I’ve traveled all over the country, all kinds of terrain, in all types of weather, at all times of the year and racked up 158K miles, collectively. The only upgrade I ever was able to concretely say I noticed any difference having installed was putting Elka shocks on the front. I get better miles out of Kenda’s than any car tire I’ve ever tried. I can handle being buffeted by strong winds or the draft of semis without any questions of safety. Just my opinion.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    With all due respect to posters and products, I’m going to say, if you have the inclination and the money, upgrade whatever you wish. I’ve had 3 Spyders in my life so far. I’ve used car tires, sway bars, different shocks, etc.. On those Spyders, I’ve traveled all over the country, all kinds of terrain, in all types of weather, at all times of the year and racked up 158K miles, collectively. The only upgrade I ever was able to concretely say I noticed any difference having installed was putting Elka shocks on the front. I get better miles out of Kenda’s than any car tire I’ve ever tried. I can handle being buffeted by strong winds or the draft of semis without any questions of safety. Just my opinion.
    The key point that needs to be understood is the type of rider driving the machine. Casual riders may not notice the limitations of the OEM equipment. Those that push their machines hard discover the weakness in the stock suspensions and upgrade to create a safer and more enjoyable experience.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

In my (limited to 8K miles on a 2020 RTL) opinion, get BajaRon's swaybar. I won't go as far as to say it will resolve issues passing a semi at interstate speed, but I found it stabilized my RTL in corners & curves, specifically curves that tighten or are unevenly surfaced. This opinion would be "seconded" by my wife, who commented on how much "correction" I was doing IN a curve (pre-BajaRon swaybar). Now my RTL gets a "set" and requires little, or no, correction; I consider it money well spent.

I would be quick to add that BlueKnight911 probably has a handle on the true "root of the problem"; the angle of the coil-overs on these machines. I just don't have the education in suspension geometry, or experience in fabrication, necessary to compensate for the factory set-up..., so I bought a swaybar.

Also..., remember that tire pressure is very important. Radial tires tend to move horizontally, or "roll over", because they have flexible sidewalls intended to afford you a softer ride. The lower the pressure, and the taller the sidewall, the more they will do this. If your running car tires, at a lower pressure than manufacturer specs, this has to affect your steering/handling; to what degree, I don't know. I put 16" wheels & tires on mine & am happy with that decision.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdave View Post
    In my (limited to 8K miles on a 2020 RTL) opinion, get BajaRon's swaybar. I won't go as far as to say it will resolve issues passing a semi at interstate speed, but I found it stabilized my RTL in corners & curves, specifically curves that tighten or are unevenly surfaced. This opinion would be "seconded" by my wife, who commented on how much "correction" I was doing IN a curve (pre-BajaRon swaybar). Now my RTL gets a "set" and requires little, or no, correction; I consider it money well spent.

I would be quick to add that BlueKnight911 probably has a handle on the true "root of the problem"; the angle of the coil-overs on these machines. I just don't have the education in suspension geometry, or experience in fabrication, necessary to compensate for the factory set-up..., so I bought a swaybar.

Also..., remember that tire pressure is very important. Radial tires tend to move horizontally, or "roll over", because they have flexible sidewalls intended to afford you a softer ride. The lower the pressure, and the taller the sidewall, the more they will do this. If your running car tires, at a lower pressure than manufacturer specs, this has to affect your steering/handling; to what degree, I don't know. I put 16" wheels & tires on mine & am happy with that decision.
    Thanks for the compliment, .... The reason " radial tires " provide better Traction when turning, is because the sidewalls " flex " more .... I've watched ( proprietary ) video's of various types of tires in action while the veh. is turning.... Radial tires will have a larger " footprint " ie. tread on the road surface, than tires with different types of cores..... The KEY reason auto tires work on lightweight Spyders is the inflation pressures MUST be lower than what would normally be used for a Car ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Since the investment compared to the cost of a Spyder is negligible, just go ahead and do it. I did ride mine for a year before putting it on but I also wanted to be sure I could tell a difference, I could. For all those reasons you said you wanted in your original post. I ride solo and at 70,000+ miles I wouldn't have my Spyder without a bar.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    . I ride solo and at 70,000+ miles I wouldn't have my Spyder without a bar.
    Is that a “wet bar)?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Is that a “wet bar)?
    Aw Brucie You're a card........ a joker. Actually it is so dry here in the west it doesn't get wet very often.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze