Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RS SE5 - turning over but not starting without foot on brake?

Why is my spyder turning over but not starting without pressing the brake?

Spyder Garage

Default 2010 spyder RS SE5 won’t start

Hi I’m new here

My spider turns over but won’t crank without my brake being applied??

I was under the impression the brake had to be pressed before it would turn over

Please help

Got new battery. Fresh gas

Spyder Garage

Default 2010 spyder rs se5 cranks but wont start

Bike is turning over without brake being applied but wont start

Thought brake had to be applied to even turn it over

Any help would be appreciated

Spyder Garage

It may seem silly but did you check to make sure the Kill switch is off?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might check your air filter and Kill Switch, Good Luck!
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by runyet View Post
    Hi I’m new here

My spider turns over but won’t crank without my brake being applied??

I was under the impression the brake had to be pressed before it would turn over

Please help

Got new battery. Fresh gas
    Bike is turning over without brake being applied but wont start

Thought brake had to be applied to even turn it over

Any help would be appreciated
    Hi runyet, welcome to the Forum.

Just a quick word re posts & threads with my Moderator hat on - most Members here tend to use the New Posts search or the Today's Posts option from the drop down list under Quick Links to see ALL the posts made since they last visited the Forum, so there's no need for multiple threads asking the same thing in different sections In fact, multiple threads generally makes it's harder for anyone searching to even find your thread; means you'll never get all the pertinent info in one place; and it tends to annoy those who may have answered in one thread only to find that you've seemingly ignored their response & asked again/elsewhere.... So all your new threads have been merged into this one & with any luck, you'll get the answers you're after here in due course, but not everyone looks in on the Forum every day, so please, be patient - it might take a week or even more before too many people who might be able to help even see this or any thread, but they generally will, eventually.

Oh, and it always helps if you try to briefly state your question in the thread title - since the title is the ONLY opportunity you get to invite people to come on in, have a read, maybe even help with your problem, if you don't briefly state your question up in the title, you'll probably miss out on getting some who may be able to help to even look in! Without that question up there, it's sorta like walking into a crowded bar full of people already talking about who knows what & then quietly saying into all that hubub "2010 Spyder RS SE5" and expecting anyone to respond helpfully - they probably won't even notice you, let alone know what you're after, so you stand little chance of getting any helpful response in the short term . But by stating your question (briefly ) at least they've got some idea of what you want & maybe someone can help?!

As for your question, I'm not sure I can specifically help, apart from suggesting that maybe the brake switch is on its way out & messing with the start process?! . It might take a bit more 'troubleshooting' to work it out, any chance you could provide more in the way of detail about EXACTLY what you do & what happens? That might be enough to give someone a bit more of a clue as to what's happening.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The brake MUST be pressed ONLY to shift into 1st gear. It does not need to be pressed to start unless the bike was shut off while still in gear, in which case it will not even turn over. Turning over but not starting is its own problem. Tell us more. First obvious question, does it have gas? How long has it been sitting? When did you last ride it? There are several reasons it might not start. We need more to go on. If the engine turns over, it is in the correct condition to start. In your case you have a fuel or electrical problem.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 03-06-2022 at 07:14 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The brake MUST be pressed ONLY to shift into 1st gear. It does not need to be pressed to start unless the bike was shut off while still in gear, in which case it will not even turn over. Turning over but not starting is its own problem. Tell us more. First obvious question, does it have gas? How long has it been sitting? When did you last ride it? There are several reasons it might not start. We need more to go on. If the engine turns over, it is in the correct condition to start. In your case you have a fuel or electrical problem.
    .... Also the Spyder draws a lot of JUICE to Start it ..... How OLD is the battery ??? ... do you keep it on a Battery MAINTAINER ???? .... the V-twin has a WEAK charging system, so it's trickier to keep the battery up to FULL charge ..... Do you have a car or trk and jumper cables .... if so, try using them .... DO NOT RUN the Car/ Trk, while you do this ... it's not necessary, that battery is lots stronger than the Spyders ....good luck .... Mike