Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone tried a Generic Motorcycle Speedometer on a Spyder - 2009 GS SM5

Hi Ya'll,

I hope you're ready for some Spring riding soon.

I have a 2009 Spyder GS SM5 and my speedometer's LCD screen is broken (leaking) OEM ones are on back order since last November.

Has anyone tired installing one of them generic motorcycle speedometers on a Spyder before?

I would appreciate some feedback on that.

Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, can't really help with your question re the generic speedo, but I do have a question....

Have you tried ryding your Spyder with the broken dash?? Certainly on later models the dash unit/module is heavily involved in the computer operation & control of the Spyder/many important functions, and any issues with the dash can cause all sorts of odd failures & limp mode etc....

Orright, two questions....

Can you describe the 'leaking' a bit more, or maybe show us a pic?? I ask that cos many of the early-ish Spyders had what appeared to be dribbles of leaking liquid running down the inside of the dash's front cover/glass (not in the LCD screen itself); only upon opening the dash & checking, it was found to be an over-application of some lubricant/sealer/whatever on the inside of the cover/glass.... fairly easily cleaned off/corrected & not an issue to the Spyder's Operation at all! Any chance yours is just that?!

Over to you...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-06-2022 at 02:33 AM. Reason: roll....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Sorry, can't really help with your question re the generic speedo, but I do have a question....

Have you tried ryding your Spyder with the broken dash?? Certainly on later models the dash unit/module is heavily involved in the computer operation & control of the Spyder/many important functions, and any issues with the dash can cause all sorts of odd failures & limp mode etc....

Orright, two questions....

Can you describe the 'leaking' a bit more, or maybe show us a pic?? I ask that cos many of the early-ish Spyders had what appeared to be dribbles of leaking liquid running down the inside of the dash's front cover/glass (not in the LCD screen itself); only upon opening the dash & checking, it was found to be an over-application of some lubricant/sealer/whatever on the inside of the cover/glass.... fairly easily cleaned off/corrected & not an issue to the Spyder's Operation at all! Any chance yours is just that?!

Over to you...
    I am riding it with it being broken, no issues with computer or limp mode, which is encouraging me to try on a universal cluster. The leaking is the black liquid-crystal all over it. They say from sitting in the Sun too much, but I feel it might also be because of extreme cold weather we had this last winter. First I did not see the mileage anymore, but now it leaked up and I cannot see how much gas I have.

Sad story I do not have a garage in my house lol so it will be out there for the next coming years, and buying an OEM cluster for more than $300 would be a killer if it happens again. Some universal clusters go for $35-$60 which makes more sense.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Go on amazon and buy a Pyle heads up display speedometer. About $35 and operates by gps. Projects your speed onto windshield. I have one on both of my spyders and it works great!
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Gps Speedometer

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Go on amazon and buy a Pyle heads up display speedometer. About $35 and operates by gps. Projects your speed onto windshield. I have one on both of my spyders and it works great!
    ...Seems like this would be a good way to go.
    The price is right. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue