Spyder Garage

Default Rear rotor bolts are TIGHT !!

OK .. getting ready to install a new rear tire on my F3S. Gonna remove the rotor just in case my local guy needs it off. Get out my 3/8" drive Craftsmen ratchet and 13mm socket. Heat up the bolts a bit to loosen the locktite. No way! Get out my 16" breaker bar and ... crap! Did I just strip out the bolt head?? Pheewww. Nope. I just split the socket!! Nuts to that. Took the wheel down to my co-worker at the hardware store. 13mm impact socket and impact driver made quick work. Damn BRP and their yellow stuff. Probably TQ'd to a crap ton of ft/lb's too.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

don't have to take off rotor to install tire
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-03-2022 at 01:25 PM. Reason: '
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Going to a different guy. Wasn't sure. Heard both ways. Oh well, it's off now.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    don't have to take off rotor to install tire
    At least a couple of members have reported here that they had rotors bent by ham-fisted tire techs, and IIRC there was at least one other who scored rim damage on top of rotor damage!

So yeah, while you shouldn't need to take the rotor off to remove/install a rear tire, if you don't know & trust implicitly the capabilities of the tire tech doing the job, then it juuust might be a smart move!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    OK .. getting ready to install a new rear tire on my F3S. Gonna remove the rotor just in case my local guy needs it off. Get out my 3/8" drive Craftsmen ratchet and 13mm socket. Heat up the bolts a bit to loosen the locktite. No way! Get out my 16" breaker bar and ... crap! Did I just strip out the bolt head?? Pheewww. Nope. I just split the socket!! Nuts to that. Took the wheel down to my co-worker at the hardware store. 13mm impact socket and impact driver made quick work. Damn BRP and their yellow stuff. Probably TQ'd to a crap ton of ft/lb's too.
    BRP is now listed as the largest user of " any type of Thread Locker " .... in the ....WORLD .....JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    At least a couple of members have reported here that they had rotors bent by ham-fisted tire techs, and IIRC there was at least one other who scored rim damage on top of rotor damage!

So yeah, while you shouldn't need to take the rotor off to remove/install a rear tire, if you don't know & trust implicitly the capabilities of the tire tech doing the job, then it juuust might be a smart move!

Just Sayin'
    I remove the rear rotor at the request of my tire installer. He did one with and one without and preferred the without rotor. No biggie for me he's got more access to use his tools and that's good enough for me.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White