Spyder Garage

Default Rear brake pads wear quicker than fronts - anyone else? Problem?

I noticed on my RT that the rear brake pads wear out a lot faster than the front pads and not only on mine but a buddies RT noticed on the rear pads one wears out quite a bit more than the other. Indicating that one pad could not be releasing as much as it should when the brakes are not engaged..? Are any of you experienced the same ..?
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Brakes

...My rear pads seem to be wearing down a little more than the fronts. Not sure why. Generally the front pads are the ones that wear more. This is my experience with the car and truck pads.

Always learning. ...... : )

Maybe BajaRon can give us his thoughts
    on this....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I think it has something to do with the way they have it valved to the rear more for a more stable stop, you would not want it to hit harder in the front you would stand it on its head and have a hard time steering threw it!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-02-2022 at 05:47 PM. Reason: sable = stable ?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I am still on my original front brake pads on my 2011 RTS. I usually change rear pads every riding season. I ride two up 90% of the time. I have 90,000 miles on the Spyder. For me it is just the way it is. Brakes work great.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember you have 2 wheels braking on the front...I find that I replace the rear one twice to one set of fronts...larryd

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    I am still on my original front brake pads on my 2011 RTS. I usually change rear pads every riding season. I ride two up 90% of the time. I have 90,000 miles on the Spyder. For me it is just the way it is. Brakes work great.
    90,000 + mi. on front pads .... This has to be a record amount .... On my 14 RT I changed the rear pads at 30,000 mi. they wore evenly but were almost Toast at 30,000 ....the fronts went to 42,000 + and were at safe thickness, but I changed them anyway. .... I have noticed that Ron's EBC pads wear much better, I now have 36,000 + mi. on the rears and will check again after this riding season ..... good luck .... Mike .....

Spyder Garage

Seems to be a characteristic of the Spyder. Mine have always worn 2 rears to one front. 2012 RTL WITH 69,539 miles.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

My '20 RT ate the rear pads in less than 10k miles. one pad wore down to metal and scored the rotor. I replaced the rotor and pads with EBC parts. I suspect the caliper puck was sticking but after replacement & cleaning I've logged ~9k miles with normal wear.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

A CanAm is NOT an MC where the front provides the main braking power.

Additionally, You have twice as many pads in front (2 wheels) so given even equal power across the 3 wheels, the front would THEORETICALLY wear 1/2 of the rear over a specific period of time all things being equal.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

You would think weight transfer under braking would cause more wear on the front, but maybe that wide rear tire vs front and the amount of force applied to the caliper might have a say in that. Just thinking out load.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

OK, here's some of the scoop and this applies to a lot of big touring bikes. Heat and dirt are the enemy of brakes and most mechanical components. The front brakes live in an area that gets plenty of cooling air while riding down the road. They also get less dirt, grit, road grime, whatever you want to call it. Look at your bike and you can see the front calipers right there looking back at you. The rear brake lives in a nasty environment back under the saddlebags and pretty close to a hot exhaust. It doesn't get cooling air and it DOES get a lot of the dirt kicked up by the front wheels along with the crud kicked up by the rear wheel. DIRT and HEAT. You have no doubt noticed how the rear wheel seems to get dirtier much faster than the front wheels? Well, the same goes for the brakes. The extra dirt and heat on the rear contributes to the quicker wear as does to a degree the linked braking system on the big bikes including the Spyder. You live and work in a hot, dirty environment you wear quicker. On my bikes without linked brakes it wasn't as big an issue because I used the front brake more than the rear. On my bikes with linked brakes, Goldwing, BMW RT, and Triumph Trophy SE, etc it was an issue. Linked system, more heat and dirt equals quicker wear.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

The rears will wear faster than the fronts. This is not as bad on the Brembo system used on the (2013+) Spyders. It is much worse on the Chinese system (2008-2012). The biggest reason is the Front to Rear bias. The rear brake comes on first and goes off last. This helps to stabilize the machine. So, in soft stops, stop and go, etc., the single rear pad is doing the lyon's share of the work. However, in hard or panic stops. The fronts do much more braking than the rear as there is a great deal of weight transfer, pad/rotor surface area and footprint with the pavement at the front.

But most people are not very hard on their Spyder/Ryker brakes. This tends to wear the rear faster. And the reason I recommend 'Bedding In' new pad sets. If you do not bed them in, it will take a long time with normal braking to cure the high performance EBC HH pad sets.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...