Spyder Garage

Default New member looking at a 2012 RS S.

Hi there. Im a newbie to Spyders.
    Looking at a RS S thats for sale locally here in New Zealand..
    Its a 2012 RS S 24,000k.
    5 speed semi.
    I know a bit about normal bikes having been wrenching and riding for quite a few Summers.
    But I know nothing on these Spyders.
    Looking for a heads up on what to look for or ask.
    Looking at this.

Been serviced every 5,000k its claimed.

spyder 1701304179.jpg sp 1 1701303763.jpg Inkedsp 3 701303941_LI.jpg
    sp 4 1701304627.jpg sp 5 1701303627.jpg
    Last edited by Isopedella; 03-01-2022 at 08:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

By the time I look a look at the Trademe listing it had already disappeared, so comments from the details above:

21,000 is pretty low mileage for these so no worries there. Though the official service interval is 7,500km I used to service mine at 5,000km as well because these are a high rev'ing engines and its a common thing to do at least amongst NZ riders.

Looks like it has the full set of extra's (panniers, rack, rear backrest etc). All of which would have cost a lot of money in NZ, suggests someone who wouldn't have stinted on servicing etc. Seat also isn't original, and looks much more comfortable:-). The screen is huge in comparison to the standard one and the bars have been raised quite a lot (hard to see the details in the photo).

The 2012's were the last of the original RS's. A new version came out in 2013 which looked the same but had a slightly different engine, suspension etc. Obviously being the last year of the original version all the niggles had already been sorted so they were very good machines.

I don't recognise the Spyder itself so don't know the original owners but someone else on the forums I sent you the links to may know.

Spyder Garage

Initially looks fairly good from pics missing reflectors on sides of saddle bags. Would also ask about the luggage tool & sports rack lid ;if you care to remove the passenger back rest there is a flat lid (minimum storage underneath) to keep a sporty look if you like. Take a peek underneath see if any damages from bottoming out hopefully not from off road misuse. With amount of luggage space definitely looks like was enjoying/attempting some touring. Rear tire looking almost new (center wears fast) also might ask for vin# can check if any service bulletins have been done. Maybe see if can check for codes. Either yourself of at dealer. Dealer would use buds system see anything active & history. Diy only active codes will show if you get sequence correct. Believe
    To get codes: Press and hold MODE button with engine running.
    Press mode-Stop on TOTAL HOURS
    Push the FLASH HIGH BEAM rapidly 5 times.
    If get to try test ride- https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I own a 2012, and I don't know about New Zealand, but with all the bikes out there if was me I would try to find one with the 1330 engine! The reason I say that it's just a matter of time before we are not going to be able to get parts for the 998's, that just what company's do to us, flood the market with a produce then come up with a new and better one and force us to upgrade, by taking our parts away!!! It's wrong in my book, but what can we do about it? But if you are not concerned about that sort of thing, I would jump all over that bike!!! Good luck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much for the info Guys. Decided to pass on the first selection. I'm now considering a 2017 F3. Dammit the price goes up. Trouble and Strife ( wife ) is ok with it which is good... nah Awseome really. Lot of cash and I will sell one to offset it. .Soooo... I am spending time online with the repair / wrenching stuff and on forums reading up on how to care for these puppies. Whole new ballgame.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2022 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Strife ;-)

Spyder Garage

Yep they are pricy here in NZ, though once you've got one the one advantage is that at least they keep their value.

NZ dealers are really struggling to get new stock from Can-am. One I spoke to wasn't sure if they would get any shipments of Spyders in 2022, they had struggled to get seadoos as well. So a lack of new Spyders means less trade-ins and a less choice in the second hand market as well.