Spyder Garage

Unhappy Anyone replaced a Water Pump Module? How hard?

Has anyone out replaced a water pump module on a 1330 engine?? Got my 2014 RTL out after its long winter sleep. Engine started right up, but within 5 minutes the temp gauge was at half way up. After a couple more minutes, the cooling fans kicked in, temp gauge pegged at the top. Turned off the engine, let it sit for about 10 minutes, started it up again. Same thing. Checked all 3 hoses on the water pump, all 3 not even warm. The service book says if the main supply hose from the radiators to the pump isn't warm, then the thermostat could be the problem.

Let it sit overnight. Tried again today - same problem. I was poking around with the panels off, and it looks to be on the PITA side of things to change out. What say you, members of Spyderlovers?? Would any of you attempt this? Or should I get ahold of the dealer?
    2014 RTL , Gray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Skills and preparation check

To begin, tell us about your experience changing the coolant: date, miles, coolant OEM, which hose removed, which hose clamp used.

Then tell us what you have read about this subject in your service manual.

If the answers are what I expect, make an appointment with your dealer.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember reading about others with thermostat problems on the 1330...I think it requires replacing the water pump??? Thermostat is integrated into the water pump somehow...Hopefully someone that had the problem will speak up...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Replacement of pump is required

And it ain't easy.

Search is your friend.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W. View Post
    Has anyone out replaced a water pump module on a 1330 engine?? Got my 2014 RTL out after its long winter sleep. Engine started right up, but within 5 minutes the temp gauge was at half way up. After a couple more minutes, the cooling fans kicked in, temp gauge pegged at the top. Turned off the engine, let it sit for about 10 minutes, started it up again. Same thing. Checked all 3 hoses on the water pump, all 3 not even warm. The service book says if the main supply hose from the radiators to the pump isn't warm, then the thermostat could be the problem.

Let it sit overnight. Tried again today - same problem. I was poking around with the panels off, and it looks to be on the PITA side of things to change out. What say you, members of Spyderlovers?? Would any of you attempt this? Or should I get ahold of the dealer?
    Yes a member here recently did the pump change ..... and He said it was a P.I.T.A. .... If I can remember His name I'll post it ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Contact Lew L
    His story details his very long and hard work replacing the water pump on his Spyder.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t=water%2Bpump
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Water Pump

...I would let your Spyder Dealer handle this problem.

But if you have the skills and time.... go for it.

I had my Spyder Dealer do my a few years ago. ...
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I had a dealer do mine, but of course mine is a 998, it looked like a project that was a little too deep into the bowels of the dragon for me!! If I had a good lift so I didn't have to lay on my back, I would have maybe tried it ! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yes I did R and R the water pump on the 1330 motor in my 2014 RT. It's not easy by a long shot. Thermostat failed and came apart inside the pump. Purchased a new one at the dealer and it leaked ( possible crack). Dealer finally got another one ( at no cost to me) and replaced it ( at a cost to me). All fine since. I must thank Dave ( Haze) and another member from our BattleBorn Spyders group for staying with me during the ordeal of a 150mile tow over the Sierra Nevada mountains.
    You had better be a good spanner spinner with patience. It's tight in there, 4 hose connections with Okafor (single use) clamps which are difficult to remove in the tight confines.

Honestly, I suggest an honest and competent shop.

Lew L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-02-2022 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Color....
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Yes I did R and R the water pump on the 1330 motor in my 2014 RT. It's not easy by a long shot. Thermostat failed and came apart inside the pump. Purchased a new one at the dealer and it leaked ( possible crack). Dealer finally got another one ( at no cost to me) and replaced it ( at a cost to me). All fine since. I must thank Dave ( Haze) and another member from our BattleBorn Spyders group for staying with me during the ordeal of a 150mile tow over the Sierra Nevada mountains.
    You had better be a good spanner spinner with patience. It's tight in there, 4 hose connections with Okafor (single use) clamps which are difficult to remove in the tight confines.

Honestly, I suggest an honest and competent shop.

Lew L
    Thanks Lew ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-02-2022 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all who chimed in. It wasn't going to take much arm twisting to get me to take it to the dealer. I had a small hope that maybe it wouldn't be as difficult as it looked. I'm all about doing it myself, but some things are better left to the pros!
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

Curious how much they will charge -let us know. Thxs
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

After thanking those who chimed in on my post, telling me to take it to the dealer, I had decided to do just that. But something just wasn't right. I couldn't put my finger on it, I was second guessing myself. Had I checked this, or that? So I went out again to the cold garage, to look again at my Spyder. Got out my shop light, and started poking around.

Well...... I could blame a lot of things as to why I missed what I missed - old age, old eyes, it was dark, wasn't thinking, cold, you get the picture. When I realized what I was seeing, let's just say that there was a lot of profanity, mostly at myself. I would like to think that I am not alone in this kind of situation, but I sure felt like a dumb@ss at the time!!

The way I was looking up at the coolant tank, I thought I could see the COLD line on the tank, that the level was just a bit below the COLD line. Yeah, no. It was a lot below, almost an entire container of the orange 50/50 mix you can buy from the dealer below. Filled it to the COLD line, fired up the engine, let it run, warmed up the way it always has. Took it out around the block a few times to warm it more, no problems. It was cold out, but Yay for me!! Topped it off the next day.

Rode to work today, it felt great to ride again! I love my Spyder!
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W. View Post

The way I was looking up at the coolant tank, I thought I could see the COLD line on the tank, that the level was just a bit below the COLD line. Yeah, no. It was a lot below, almost an entire container of the orange 50/50 mix you can buy from the dealer below. Filled it to the COLD line, fired up the engine, let it run, warmed up the way it always has. Took it out around the block a few times to warm it more, no problems. It was cold out, but Yay for me!! Topped it off the next day.

Rode to work today, it felt great to ride again! I love my Spyder!
    Hate to be the devil's advocate here Bill, but does any of this explain HOW the coolant level got so low in the first place??

I'd be seriously concerned about that particular 'HOW', considering that very few of these Spyders of ours ever seem to regularly 'use' much in the way of coolant.... . So what caused the significantly low coolant level in the first place? Have you been riding with the expansion tank cap off/not secured properly?? Or have you recently drained/refilled the coolant & then have never 'burped' the system properly/topped it off since?? Are you sure you don't have a leaky radiator/water pump/thermostat or maybe a cracked expansion tank/dodgy radiator cap?!?

Sorry, but there's gotta be a reason for the tank being so low; and if you don't find that reason & sort it, I'd seriously be concerned about riding it too far until you were SURE there was no underlying issue!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Coolant Leaks? ? ?

....Just like Peter Aawen has stated, 'coolant level dropping' something is not right.
    A Spyder should not be low on coolant unless you have a leak or two.
    Definitely need to carefully inspect all the hoses and the cooling system.
    Good Luck on Your Mission. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ....Just like Peter Aawen has stated, 'coolant level dropping' something is not right.
    A Spyder should not be low on coolant unless you have a leak or two.
    Definitely need to carefully inspect all the hoses and the cooling system.
    Good Luck on Your Mission. ......
    ... however was the reservoir ever FULL from the Dealer ???? .... Does anyone really check it after buying a new Spyder ???? ... I didn't with mine ....... just a thought ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Probably should be looking at the hose fittings since the cold hoses tend to leak once in a while. Maybe I missed it but how many miles is on it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-17-2022 at 07:15 PM. Reason: space after punctuation so text to talk s/ware can read it... :-/
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I sincerely hope that it was just low level--------but why was it so low. I never had to add fluid until The thermostat broke into 2 pieces inside the water pump. Keep an eye on it.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Some questions...

Bill W -- some questions to consider:

1. An eight year old (2014) engine should have the coolant changed at least once. Was it?

2. What hose connection was opened to drain the coolant -- radiator or manifold?

3. What hose clamp(s) were used to replace the original clamp(s)?

If the coolant isn't changed per lifetime guidance moving part wear will occur resulting in water pump leakage and eventual failure.

If the proper hose clamps aren't used, leakage will occur resulting in low coolant levels that may expose moving parts to aeration and wear.

I find a small LED flashlight is best for checking coolant level.

Spyder Garage

I bought the Spyder used from the dealer in 2016. It had 17K miles on it. Was told that the rear tire needed to be changed, and routine maintenance had to be performed before I could take it home. Never found out what that maintenance was, so since I have owned this Spyder, the coolant hasn't been changed.

I rode a 1985 Yamaha Venture for a number of years before the Spyder, and when being stored in the garage in the winter, it would always drip coolant from only one of the hose connections. Over the course of 4 or 5 months of storage, just enough to let me know that it was dripping. Never thought much of it, once the weather warmed up and I was riding, it never dripped again. Season after season, checking the connection for tightness, checking the coolant level, it still dripped in the winter. 2 years ago my Spyder started doing the same thing. It will show me it has dripped, only from one area, not much at all, but during the riding season there no signs of any drippage, no low coolant level (now I'm wondering!), no hoses leaking. So, I don't think much of it.

Obviously, this has changed lately, as you all have read. Again, no puddles, no leaky hoses. I rode to work the other day, 32 miles round trip. I always give the bike a quick once-over before I get on, and nothing. No new drips on the garage floor the next morning either. I am thinking this is some sort of oversight on my part, because the coolant level was definitely low. Maybe I'm going crazy (the wife says "Going??")!! Anyway, it is something that I will keep an eye on. Thank you all for the info/suggestions/questions/what the hell are you doing?? concerns. Isn't all of that what makes this site so great??
    2014 RTL , Gray