Spyder Garage

Default Does a Transmission Fault code need BUDS to reset? Is it safe to operate until reset?

Technical question on BUDS. BACKGROUND: While investigating another problem (parking brake not releasing) I disconnected a multi-pin connector (bayonet type plug on right side adjacent to parking brake motor) that is apparently associated with the transmission functions. With this cable removed I powered up (but did not start) the bike and upon reassembly I noticed this must have tripped a tranny fault. (my bad!) I now have the yellow dagger on the display and the recurring drop-down that will not self-clear. I have tried disconnecting the battery to reset no avail. As a standard practice, with the connector removed I covered the jack so nothing could possibly fall in to the opening. So my basic questions are:

1) Does a transmission fault require BUDS to reset (unlike active fault codes which clear when the cause has been eliminated)?
    2) Any real problem operating the vehicle with the (false) tranny fault present? (after reassembly and a short ride it was shifting just fine)

Note: other than the recurring drop-down and the yellow dagger shown on the console there are no "active" fault codes.

Would also appreciate knowing if anyone has recommendations on where to obtain the best shop manual that would have (among other things) a comprehensive list of fault codes. I see one place called servicemanualwarehouse.com, but wondering if that provides a good value?

Appreciate any advice my fellow Ryders may be able to provide!

Console Tranny Fault 20220218_144502.jpg
    2018 RT Limited , OXFORD BLUE METALLIC Dark Edition

Spyder Garage

Have you tried just running it on a short trip to see if it will go away? A lot of times it will once it see's that there is no problem.

Ok I re-read and saw that you did go on a short ride. How long of a ride was it?
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

https://brpmanuals.com/canam-spyder-manual.htm
    Even if the code does eventually go away it will still be in the Spyder's computer system for which one needs B.U.D.S. 2 to clear it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Since the initial event I've been on several rydes and the fault is still present. I do understand that all faults are retained by BUDS (makes perfect sense) but active faults (as shown from the console menu) self-clear once the problem is corrected. Proof of this was shown to me while I was troubleshooting my parking brake release problem. Perhaps a shop manual will shed some light on BUDS operation?

I do also recall reading somewhere that there are some faults that will not self-clear but there were no specifics, implying that BUDS would be required. Hence, I was in touch with two dealers on these very questions (speaking directly with their Spyder tech), neither seemed to have experience (nor were willing to inquire with BRP) on this specific fault... they just said bring it in and they''ll see what BUDS says.

Call me AR but this DIY owner likes first-hand information before handing my vehicles over to someone else... too many times I find out they screwed something else up in a repair process. I just got a car back from a dealer on a factory recall axle replacement and they mangled the brake dust shields in the process... but most of all they didn't tell me! An honest mistake but not disclosing this is flat wrong!

I am also trying to work with BRP on this, but maybe I'm dreaming... all I want is information, I'm not asking anyone to cut off their right arm to help me!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    https://brpmanuals.com/canam-spyder-manual.htm
    Even if the code does eventually go away it will still be in the Spyder's computer system for which one needs B.U.D.S. 2 to clear it.
    Thanks JayBros! Have you a copy of this, and thus, do you know if it has the fault list? Seems pretty straight forward in the descriptions that its a factory manual; IYHO worth the $25?

Spyder Garage

Mine is a 2014 and my service manual lists a whole pot full of codes more precise than "Transmission Fault" and none that specifically mentions "Transmission Fault." I believe B.U.D.S. 2 (OR II) was introduced in MY '18.
    Last edited by JayBros; 03-03-2022 at 11:08 AM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The following is just to close this out so others may benefit.

I took my RT to a dealer (an hour drive) and in 20 minutes he had the bike back to me with the fault cleared, cost only $25. This was not a fault that showed up other than the occasional drop-down warning (similar to the low fuel warning) and there was no collateral damage to the tranny function. Since the time this occurred I've put over a thousand miles on the bike and all works perfectly. Lesson learned, never disconnect the HCM connector (1) and then turn the key to the ON position. This will result in a fault that requires BUDS to correct.
    Console Tranny Fault 20220218_144502.jpgHCM Connector 1.JPG