Spyder Garage

Default 5 people and 24 tacos got 'er done

Replacing the front tires the factory puts on Spyders with quality car tires improves the handling dramatically, in every way. Changing those front tires was very easy, as it is with car wheels. Changing a Spyder's rear tire is muuch more arduous and involved. As my two Portland grandkids and a 12 year old great grandson discovered.

Yesterday, Saturday, those three came to our house to get a hands on lesson on one of the toughest - if not THE toughest - maintenance tasks a Spyder has to offer up. Changing the rear tire. Instruction involved proper use of tools (hand and power), lifting the bike, and the how-to of rear wheel removal and replacement. Since the drive belt needed to be removed, removal and inspecton for wear of the front drive belt pulley was tossed in there too. Also shown them, was the organizing of the pieces as they are removed, so that they go back on in proper order and on the correct side of the wheel.

The removed wheel and the new tire were placed in the grandson's van and we went off to have a tire shop do the exchange. There are two major tire stores near us and neither wanted anything to do with it. A search on a cell phone found an independent auto repir shop nearby. On the phone, he admitted he has never done a motorcycle wheel, but he'd give it a try for $20. That's super cheap! He tried, he succeeded, he didn't want any money. He got money and more than he quoted. Any Spyder owner who has a wheel and furnished tire to bring into a shop will tell you how difficult to impossible it is to find a shop that will mount it. Extremely few Spyder dealer shops will not do it, unless you are buying an OEM tire from them. This exercise was to get away from the insufficient OEM tire, even though it has only 8,000 miles on it and lots of tread remaining. I'll be giving it to some local Spyder owner in exchange for a bag of one of Portland's better coffees.

The old tire and the wheel with a new tire were back in the van. Lunch time! 24 Taco Bell tacos sated the appetites of the four workers and their den mother - my wife - and it was back to the garage to reverse the process and put my new Harbor Freight ICON Split Beam torque wrench to work for the first time. And oh, how sweet is that wrench. It wasn't cheap, but when you consider what I'd pay the dealer's shop to do the job, the cost of the wrench is a mere fraction of that. And it's mine for the rest of my life.

And that's why I had the kids so involved. Our Spyder is to bcome their Spyder when the time comes. It will remain in the family and they are solidly for that. Inasmuch as a Spyder is very unique to any vehicle extant, they need to know how to do the maintenance and and a lot more. A legacy, a legend, a memorial and a helluva fun bike all in one. With all I've have done to make it better, there is more of me in that Spyder than any jar can hold. Makes me happy.

The day was capped with dinner at the groups' favorite Italian restaurant. It doesn't get any better. In my book anyway.

20220219_164729.jpg

20220219_170042.jpg

20220219_201022.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RICZ; 02-23-2022 at 03:46 PM.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Family projects are rewarding multiple ways!
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Ending the day with Italian is always a plus!

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

Ricz, So many kids today can't change a lightbulb, much less a tire. You have given them something that will help them the rest of their lives.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Ric, they'll remember that day forever! What a great gift -- I'm looking at my Spyder (and other stuff) differently now...
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Ric, they'll remember that day forever! What a great gift -- I'm looking at my Spyder (and other stuff) differently now...
    There will be many more garage sessions as there is a lot to cover. For exampl: brake bleeding and minding the level in the reservoir; swapping out three windshields; installing a new battery - I'm still on the original; the electics in the frunk; oil changes; tire air pressures and much more.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Great story Ricz. The Family apprenticeship program. If we don't pass on what know and build those family relationships our society becomes even more fragmented then it is.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Yes, I heartily agree! A great tale and involving the grandchildren is fun.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Fantastic Post, Riz!!
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Replacing the front tires the factory puts on Spyders with quality car tires improves the handling dramatically, in every way. Changing those front tires was very easy, as it is with car wheels. Changing a Spyder's rear tire is muuch more arduous and involved. As my two Portland grandkids and a 12 year old great grandson discovered.

Yesterday, Saturday, those three came to our house to get a hands on lesson on one of the toughest - if not THE toughest - maintenance tasks a Spyder has to offer up. Changing the rear tire. Instruction involved proper use of tools (hand and power), lifting the bike, and the how-to of rear wheel removal and replacement. Since the drive belt needed to be removed, removal and inspecton for wear of the front drive belt pulley was tossed in there too. Also shown them, was the organizing of the pieces as they are removed, so that they go back on in proper order and on the correct side of the wheel.

The removed wheel and the new tire were placed in the grandson's van and we went off to have a tire shop do the exchange. There are two major tire stores near us and neither wanted anything to do with it. A search on a cell phone found an independent auto repir shop nearby. On the phone, he admitted he has never done a motorcycle wheel, but he'd give it a try for $20. That's super cheap! He tried, he succeeded, he didn't want any money. He got money and more than he quoted. Any Spyder owner who has a wheel and furnished tire to bring into a shop will tell you how difficult to impossible it is to find a shop that will mount it. Extremely few Spyder dealer shops will not do it, unless you are buying an OEM tire from them. This exercise was to get away from the insufficient OEM tire, even though it has only 8,000 miles on it and lots of tread remaining. I'll be giving it to some local Spyder owner in exchange for a bag of one of Portland's better coffees.

The old tire and the wheel with a new tire were back in the van. Lunch time! 24 Taco Bell tacos sated the appetites of the four workers and their den mother - my wife - and it was back to the garage to reverse the process and put my new Harbor Freight ICON Split Beam torque wrench to work for the first time. And oh, how sweet is that wrench. It wasn't cheap, but when you consider what I'd pay the dealer's shop to do the job, the cost of the wrench is a mere fraction of that. And it's mine for the rest of my life.

And that's why I had the kids so involved. Our Spyder is to bcome their Spyder when the time comes. It will remain in the family and they are solidly for that. Inasmuch as a Spyder is very unique to any vehicle extant, they need to know how to do the maintenance and and a lot more. A legacy, a legend, a memorial and a helluva fun bike all in one. With all I've have done to make it better, there is more of me in that Spyder than any jar can hold. Makes me happy.

The day was capped with dinner at the groups' favorite Italian restaurant. It doesn't get any better. In my book anyway.

20220219_164729.jpg

20220219_170042.jpg

20220219_201022.jpg
    I applaud you for making this a " TEACHING " moment .... Kids and some folks in general are " clueless " to life's ordinary challenges ..... I will point out one mis-take .... asking a shop person to work on a " Motorcycle " wheel / tire was mis-leading .... Only BRP identifies the Spyder wheel as being for a Mtc..... It is NOT ... any wheel with a " J " type rim BEAD is an Auto wheel - period .... you are fortunate that they accepted the challenge ..... To all others reading this .... never tell a shop person that it is a Mtc. wheel.... JMHO ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Great post. Thanks for it!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I applaud you for making this a " TEACHING " moment .... Kids and some folks in general are " clueless " to life's ordinary challenges ..... I will point out one mis-take .... asking a shop person to work on a " Motorcycle " wheel / tire was mis-leading .... Only BRP identifies the Spyder wheel as being for a Mtc..... It is NOT ... any wheel with a " J " type rim BEAD is an Auto wheel - period .... you are fortunate that they accepted the challenge ..... To all others reading this .... never tell a shop person that it is a Mtc. wheel.... JMHO ... Mike
    Les Schwab's (western tire store chain) has my Spyder listed as a 'custom vehicle'. They do all the mounting, road force balancing and needed repairs. They will NOT work on motorcycles, but 'custom vehicles' are just fine. They occasionally see me ride in on the Spyder, so they 'know', but choose 'not to know' what's going on. Corporate rules and all that...
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Happy for You

....Let the good times roll. Good job and thanks.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post

20220219_164729.jpg

20220219_170042.jpg

20220219_201022.jpg
    long post, maybe i missed it, did you mention what size and brand of tire you installed ,tks
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fredgal View Post
    long post, maybe i missed it, did you mention what size and brand of tire you installed ,tks
    The new tire is a Yokhama Avid Touring S -- 215/60-15. I bought it at Discount Tire for $78. Had I known it then, it would have cost $10 less if I showed my AAA membership card. Disount Tire shaves $10 off of each higher quality tire.
    The tire is slightly larger in diameter and that will correct speedometer error.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    My "new" F3S came with an almost new stock rear, so it will be awhile before replacemen is needed. I've seen the mention of the rims being an automotive J type before, but is there a "J" stamp or other tell on the rim
    that would validate that claim to a tire store? Just installed Yokohana Avid fronts and will probably go for the Avid Touring on the rear from the local Discout Tire. Good guys, so maybe I can convine them
    it's an auto rim and have them at least mount it..

Spyder daily driver - 2015 F3S magnesium - grocery getter
    BajaRon swaybar, Shad sidecases and Givi top case with Admore kits, adjustable brake rod, LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, FOBO TPMS, F4 Customs windscreen and bump skid
    Front Tires - 175/55R-15 Yokohama AVID S34FA SL
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Spyder touring buddy (White-Whale) - 2018 RTL pearlescent white - set up for touring and local dates with SWMBO.
    LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, Spyder cuff, FOBO TPMS, driver adjustable backrest, rear view mirror LED turn signals, and Eastern Beaver PC-8R fuse box. Baja Ron Ultra Sway Bar on the way.

Front Tires - Stock Kendas
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Other motorcycle transport - 2010 Honda NT700VA Deauville and assorted vintage Japanese bikes

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikthebik View Post
    My "new" F3S came with an almost new stock rear, so it will be awhile before replacemen is needed. I've seen the mention of the rims being an automotive J type before, but is there a "J" stamp or other tell on the rim
    that would validate that claim to a tire store? Just installed Yokohama Avid fronts and will probably go for the Avid Touring on the rear from the local Discount Tire. Good guys, so maybe I can convince them
    it's an auto rim and have them at least mount it..
    I believe there actually is a " J " stamped on the wheel ie. J-6 indicating it's a 6in width with an automotive Rim Bead .... I know that other auto wheels I have looked at ( for width size ) have this stamping Mike

Spyder Garage

What a great family get together. My hat is off too you. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Great job in getting the kids involved and managing to keep them engaged the whole time. I just had my rear (new Kanine) done at dealer, looked like too big a job for me. Family ran shop just put Hankook V4's on front, haven't ridden yet, sub zero here. Can't wait.
    2013 ST , White

Spyder Garage

A nice benefit of having the chopped fender/side mount plate is I have much easier access to remove the tire
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    A nice benefit of having the chopped fender/side mount plate is I have much easier access to remove the tire
    I will hide this from my grandkids.