Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I have a few Ryker Questions before I purchase.

So if you saw my welcome post or even if you didn't the thing is Yesterday me and My Mom drove by and looked at a dealership for Can-Am. Originally she was looking at getting a Spyder but they were out of them at the moment. What they did have was a very nice looking Ryker Rally that my mom fell in love with. She was dead set on getting one but had other stuff right this second we need to deal with. So after leaving we realized there was a few questions we actually didn't ask. I proceeded to look it up online but came up with the exact same answer every last time. This would make it seem like that was the answer but I really really hope its not or that would mean we wouldn't be buying one.

My main question is what's the top speed? Everywhere I look says 56MPH and provides this statement
    Designed expressly for the Can-Am Ryker 900, the Learning Key is an excellent way for new drivers to get up to speed on our 3-wheel models. Top speed is limited to 56 mph (90 km/h) while still allowing for operation in Eco, Sport and Rally modes!
    Now if you can tell from the quote that has nothing to do with the top speed just the learning key limiting the speed to 56 MPH. My first 5 search returns all look to say the same exact thing. Once I know the answer to this it will allow me to make a better decision on if Me and my Mom want to buy two of these.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by neoblackheart View Post
    So if you saw my welcome post or even if you didn't the thing is Yesterday me and My Mom drove by and looked at a dealership for Can-Am. Originally she was looking at getting a Spyder but they were out of them at the moment. What they did have was a very nice looking Ryker Rally that my mom fell in love with. She was dead set on getting one but had other stuff right this second we need to deal with. So after leaving we realized there was a few questions we actually didn't ask. I proceeded to look it up online but came up with the exact same answer every last time. This would make it seem like that was the answer but I really really hope its not or that would mean we wouldn't be buying one.

My main question is what's the top speed? Everywhere I look says 56MPH and provides this statement

Now if you can tell from the quote that has nothing to do with the top speed just the learning key limiting the speed to 56 MPH. My first 5 search returns all look to say the same exact thing. Once I know the answer to this it will allow me to make a better decision on if Me and my Mom want to buy two of these.
    The learning key limits the top speed to 56 mph. The learning key is a separate purchase, not standard. The key it comes with does not limit the speed. The top speed I’ve seen reported is 107 mph. Mine is not broke in so I’ve not tested the top speed. Because of the type transmission in the Ryker they run at higher rpm’s than the Spyder and F3 so potentially not as all day comfortable as the Ryker’s bigger sister the Spyder or F3. If your mom is planning on just day rides mostly the Ryker will be a lot of fun, if however, she plans on any long distance trips on a regular basis I’d strongly suggest she consider the F3 or Spyder. Also, just my very personal opinion, if she should happen to be 6’ tall or more I do not think she’ll find the seat ergonomics very comfortable on the Ryker.
    Last edited by Adventurer; 02-19-2022 at 09:16 AM.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you also need to consider maintenance on those not just service there is a belt that wears out

Spyder Garage

My wife has the 600 and not sure about top speed but she rides it on the interstate at 70MPH all the time. She has done and maintained close to 85MPH on some rides. As said above the Ryker is what I would call a great local machine although there are multiple people on here that do long distance cruising as well.

Spyder Garage

My mom just wants a day rider. To ride around the county maybe a hour ride to the beach.

Spyder Garage

My mom just wants a day rider. To ride around the county maybe a hour ride to the beach.
    Sounds like a Ryker would be a good choice for her.
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

sounds like a cheap fun easy to ride bike and should work perfectly for her. There is no storage on the ryker other than the frunk, so figure out how to store some stuff. Beach runs normally require some items to take to the beach or bring back, not to mention lunch. I don't see a beach chair going on a ryker, but then again, one of those collapsible types in a bag should be easily arranged. At first I was using a backpack, now I use a tailbag, the frunk, and a backpack.

As mentioned by someone else, the bigger and more expensive spyders come with storage compartments. I saw one where the husband and wife both stored their helmets in their bike before going to the store. I like to talk to other 3 wheel riders when I see them.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ew#post1546601

6,000 mile report, May 7 to Oct 22, 2020 (5 1/2 months)

Positive
    1. The Ryker is a lot of fun, whether instant acceleration from any speed or aggressive cornering.
    2. Many design aspects are very practical, from exhaust layout to a bit of storage in the glovebox.
    3. The driveshaft/swingarm design is streamlined and very smooth, as a Moto Guzzi V7II
    4. Solo seat is actually comfortable, especially compared to stock seat on 2012 Triumph Bonneville or 2003 Sportster XLH 883.
    5. Engine oil and transmission is easy to drain, if on ramps. Refilling easy, with proper funnel.
    6. Cooling system very efficient, even in ambient over 110F.
    7. Amazing price point ($9,999 for base 900)
    8. Excellent turning radius and at a higher speed than a M/C at same radius

Concerns
    A. Changing CVT belt every year for a 1,000 mile per month rider makes maintenance costs a bit high. $220 for belt is OK, but if not DIY, then expensive labor. No provision to monitor belt life / width without removing cover.
    B. The Rotax 3 cylinder 900 motor delivers HP well, but cruising at 6,000 to 7,000 RPMs will likely affect life expectancy.
    C. Can-Am recommended service interval of 6,000 miles is extremely optimistic and most likely marketing driven. First service at 1,000 miles and every 5,000 miles, thereafter, with pure synthetic oil would likely prolong engine life.
    D. No parking / emergency brake. Transmission only equipped with cable operated parking pawl.
    E. Large axle nuts may impede roadside assistance for tire repair/replacement.

Negative
    a. 33 MPG (likely due to high RPMs) for a 611 pound machine does not provide a long range for a 5.28 gallon fuel tank.
    b. Probably due to higher RPMs, ear plugs are essential for rides above ~35 MPH.
    c. Stock front shocks do not control the front tires as should be expected. Replacing with 400 mm shocks, with full length springs, is a huge improvement and an extra 2" of ground clearance (base 900). Thank you Chris56 and Tslepebull.
    d. The mounting angle of the rear shock provides very harsh reaction on a rough road. The Rally model has a better mono shock, but same angle.
    e. Draining the final drive is a bit messy, but refilling through the disc brake slot is not an issue with tube from 75W90 bottle.
    f. Changing the oil filter is messy, especially cleaning out old oil. Any oil that spills is difficult to wash away and may drip from the bottom pan for a few days, even after attempting to clean in a coin-op car wash.
    g. Starting sequence is annoying: Key popped on, stop run on, press start button, roll throttle forward, press start button AGAIN, while foot on brake.
    h. Parking lever rattle annoying.
    i. Fuel pump whine slightly annoying, but probably not life expectancy issue.
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 02-19-2022 at 11:22 AM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

As for a beach trip, see post 25 of this thread

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...uggage-Options
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

Yeah we both looked at them. She has back problems and she is also shorter and slightly umm out of shape? She can't keep a normal Bike upright and after she had an accident with my step-dad back 6 years ago that ended up with alot of issues with her and my step-dad dying she doesn't want to get a normal 2 wheel. Though she has ALWAYS wanted a Spyder. She wants one to just drive around every so often go off on a quick ride through the county maybe to see the beach but not really to go TO the beach and maybe to just find a group to ride around with. Me I think I want to get one more for an everyday use to drive it to work and back maybe up to the store for a small 1 or 2 items. This is why for her she is looking for really more of a base Rally with a extra seat on the back in case my Step-Sister wants to ride with us. I was looking at something with a saddlebag and one of the rear mounted bags.

Spyder Garage

On my old 2019 Rally, I hit a top speed of 117 on the toll road. My new one I'm still breaking in. Just broke 100 miles on it.
    2019 Rally , Black with red panels

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post

Positive
    1. The Ryker is a lot of fun, whether instant acceleration from any speed or aggressive cornering.
    2. Many design aspects are very practical, from exhaust layout to a bit of storage in the glovebox.
    3. The driveshaft/swingarm design is streamlined and very smooth, as a Moto Guzzi V7II
    4. Solo seat is actually comfortable, especially compared to stock seat on 2012 Triumph Bonneville or 2003 Sportster XLH 883.
    5. Engine oil and transmission is easy to drain, if on ramps. Refilling easy, with proper funnel.

Concerns
    A. Changing CVT belt every year for a 1,000 mile per month rider makes maintenance costs a bit high. $220 for belt is OK, but if not DIY, then expensive labor. No provision to monitor belt life / width without removing cover.
    B. The Rotax 3 cylinder 900 motor delivers HP well, but cruising at 6,000 to 7,000 RPMs will likely affect life expectancy.
    C. Can-Am recommended service interval of 6,000 miles is extremely optimistic and most likely marketing driven. First service at 1,000 miles and every 5,000 miles, thereafter, with pure synthetic oil would likely prolong engine life.
    D. No parking / emergency brake. Transmission only equipped with cable operated parking pawl.

Negative
    a. 33 MPG (likely due to high RPMs) for a 611 pound machine does not provide a long range for a 5.28 gallon fuel tank.
    b. Probably due to higher RPMs, ear plugs are essential for rides above ~35 MPH.
    c. Stock front shocks do not control the front tires as should be expected. Replacing with 400 mm shocks, with full length springs, is a huge improvement and an extra 2" of ground clearance (base 900). Thank you Chris56 and Tslepebull.
    d. The mounting angle of the rear shock provides very harsh reaction on a rough road. The Rally model has a better mono shock, but same angle.
    e. Draining the final drive is a bit messy, but refilling through the disc brake slot is not an issue with tube from 75W90 bottle.
    f. Changing the oil filter is messy, especially cleaning out old oil. Any oil that spills is difficult to wash away and may drip from the bottom pan for a few days, even after attempting to clean in a coin-op car wash.
    g. Starting sequence is annoying: Key popped on, stop run on, press start button, roll throttle forward, press start button AGAIN, while foot on brake.
    This should be a Sticky ...... very helpful and concise ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for answering that question now 2 more that popped up when we were looking over some of the stats for the Ryker.
    1. My mom found something that mentioned the Road type for the Ryker vs the Spyder. She said the Spyder is more for well kept roads while the Ryker is much better on older backroads and old Gravel roads is this true?

2. I looked and it said the weight limit on the Ryker is like 400 Pounds or so. Neither of us are that weight but we are up at around 250-270 and my Mom was wanting to get a Second seat for my Step-Sister which is alot lighter than us at like 160. This would put us above the 400lb mark that the Ryker is marked for. Is the Limit like a hard cap don't go higher than this or could we get away with both my mom and step-sister riding the Ryker?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2. I looked and it said the weight limit on the Ryker is like 400 Pounds or so. Neither of us are that weight but we are up at around 250-270 and my Mom was wanting to get a Second seat for my Step-Sister which is alot lighter than us at like 160. This would put us above the 400lb mark that the Ryker is marked for. Is the Limit like a hard cap don't go higher than this or could we get away with both my mom and step-sister riding the Ryker?
    Personally, I believe you need a full size Spyder! There are some very nice used ones that have Thousands of miles left in them, but they are not dirt bikes. I do not believe you would be very comfortable 2-up on a Ryker! MHO......Bill
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-19-2022 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post

Positive

Concerns

Negative
    Well spoken.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I would not think that the Ryker is any better off road than a Spyder, but best for Spyder riders to advise.
    I did take mine on some unmaintained roads, then cleaned/replaced engine and transmission air filters.
    Longer (400 mm) front shocks would be a substantial benefit.

33-Perkinsville road to Drake 14 Sep 2020.jpg

As for 2up and practical weight, advice from Chris56 (Austria) would be beneficial.

If suspension is suitable, then belt life should also be considered with added load.

The difference between a Ryker and a Sypder is some-what akin to a Corvette versus a Buick/Cadillac or a H-D Sportster versus a Road King.

Spyder Garage

I overlooked a reason why the Ryker may be more suitable for unpaved roads: It is shaft drive.
    The CVT has a belt, but it is protected from pebbles, whereas a Spyder has an exposed drive belt, which is susceptible to breaking if a pebble gets between it and a pulley.

Spyder Garage

Having just read the manual on my 2022 I believe the stated weight limit is 459 lbs. including passengers and gear. For liability reasons I cannot advise you it is safe or not to exceed the CanAm advised weight limit.

CanAm refers to the Ryker as an “All Roads” vehicle meaning paved, gravel and dirt. The Spyder and F3 are best kept on pavement with only occasional gravel roads due to the toothed drive belt and air bag suspension on the rear possibly picking up a piece of gravel causing premature wear and potential failure. The Ryker is shaft drive and no air bag so gravel roads are not an issue in that respect.

A Ryker can do long highway trip but is not the best tool for the job, just like you could play an entire game of golf with a putter as your only club but it’s not the best tool for every shot.

If you and your mom are not planning on frequent dirt/gravel roads usage I would recommend you give the Spyder or F3 a closer look. People refer to the Spyder as a touring model a lot and it handles that task very well, but I ride my Spyder around town all the time and it’s a heck of a lot of fun around town too.

Plus the Spyder has power steering and power brakes, the Ryker has neither. The Spyder and F3 have lots of other amenities whereas the Ryker is mostly a bare bones vehicle.

One very good way to gain experience on both is to take the basic riding course (make sure the course you enroll in offers both Rykers and Spyders). Last I checked the cost of the course is $95.
    Last edited by Adventurer; 02-19-2022 at 10:10 PM.
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    A Ryker can do long highway trip but is not the best tool for the job...
    Yes, it can cruise at 80 MPH all day, but at much higher RPMs than a Spyder.
    It served me well on a 6 day, 1100+ mile trip. I was comfortable on even the longest day, but cruising at very high RPMs, due to the CVT, is not a positive.

For neoblackheart, distance does not seem to be an issue. Max load might be.

11-Utah I15 N of St George 28 July 2020.jpg

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Having just read the manual on my 2022 I believe the stated weight limit is 459 lbs. including passengers and gear. For liability reasons I cannot advise you it is safe or not to exceed the CanAm advised weight limit.

CanAm refers to the Ryker as an “All Roads” vehicle meaning paved, gravel and dirt. The Spyder and F3 are best kept on pavement with only occasional gravel roads due to the toothed drive belt and air bag suspension on the rear possibly picking up a piece of gravel causing premature wear and potential failure. The Ryker is shaft drive and no air bag so gravel roads are not an issue in that respect.

A Ryker can do long highway trip but is not the best tool for the job, just like you could play an entire game of golf with a putter as your only club but it’s not the best tool for every shot.

If you and your mom are not planning on frequent dirt/gravel roads usage I would recommend you give the Spyder or F3 a closer look. People refer to the Spyder as a touring model a lot and it handles that task very well, but I ride my Spyder around town all the time and it’s a heck of a lot of fun around town too.

Plus the Spyder has power steering and power brakes, the Ryker has neither. The Spyder and F3 have lots of other amenities whereas the Ryker is mostly a bare bones vehicle.

One very good way to gain experience on both is to take the basic riding course (make sure the course you enroll in offers both Rykers and Spyders). Last I checked the cost of the course is $95.
    " Off road " .... I beg to differ about the Spyder either a GS / RSS or RT .... I live and ride mostly in Vermont ( now ) and at least 1/3 on my riding is on gravel roads .... I put a BELT Guard on for peace of mind, and my 66,000 mi OEM looks great ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Well we live on a gravel road this is why we were thinking Ryker.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " Off road " .... I beg to differ about the Spyder either a GS / RSS or RT .... I live and ride mostly in Vermont ( now ) and at least 1/3 on my riding is on gravel roads .... I put a BELT Guard on for peace of mind, and my 66,000 mi OEM looks great ..... Mike
    I’m glad you’ve had good luck and good fortune with your gravel travel. For me personally I’m going to limit gravel (but not necessarily completely avoid) and I do not ride a modified machine (aftermarket gravel guard) either although it is something I might consider at some point.
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Well we live on a gravel road this is why we were thinking Ryker.
    Like many others here, I think a lot of people worry needlessly about riding their Spyders on gravel &/or dirt roads that are in reasonable condition....

Also like many others, especially here in the 'Not the Eastern States of Oz' where the majority of our 'non-major' roads are still unsealed, if I didn't ride on a LOT of gravel/dirt roads, I simply wouldn't be able to do much riding at all!

I did a quick check back thru my log books, and I reckon that a good 3/4 of my substantial Spyder RT's miles (think 6 whole numbers to the left of the decimal place! ) involved doing some (usually significant ) miles on gravel/dirt roads, and I DO NOT have an extra belt guard fitted, never felt the need; nor have I ever had a belt noticeably damaged by pebbles or stones etc!! . In fact, I reckon the Spyder's low ground clearance is more of a concern than the risk of catastrophic belt failure &/or drive sprocket damage, so I do run taller tires all round & I have a close fitting alloy Skid Plate fitted underneath the front of my Spyder, cos the 'Bump Skid' used so often over there in your part of the World reduces the Spyder's 'ground clearance' and 'approach angle' waaayyy too much!! . But, I guess there's horses for courses, and I for one bought my Spyder so I could get out & about in relative comfort & still take the Child Bride & a bit of luggage along - and btw, I have also been known to actively seek out snow just so's I could go riding in it! . Usually have a great time too, but then our Ozzie Snow is rarely anywhere near as deep & slippery as the stuff you get over there.... the black ice is much the same tho!

So neoblack, I reckon you should just pick the Spyder &/or Ryker that suits the majority of your needs & wants, and don't worry too much about what actual road surfaces you might encounter! . If you aren't gonna get hung up in the potholes & ruts or trying to drive over big rocks & logs etc, then with a little care & wheel placement you should be fine! And you can always fit a belt guard if it makes you feel more comfortable. Sure, I tend to slow down a bit on the gravel & dirt; more so if it's loose &/or poorly maintained; especially so if it's riddled with rocks, bulldust patches, &/or potholes etc; but I rarely bother to avoid any dirt/gravel that I might discover in my travels; and I've even been known to actively search the dirt/gravel & lesser travelled roads out! (And Snow! ) That 'off the main roads' stuff is often where the best bits are - best scenery, new friends, interesting places, great riding, adventure!

Go on, Just Buy the Damn Bike, & then Ryde More, Worry Less! You Know You Want To!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zusafek View Post
    On my old 2019 Rally, I hit a top speed of 117 on the toll road. My new one I'm still breaking in. Just broke 100 miles on it.
    What were the RPMs?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaz View Post
    My wife has the 600 and not sure about top speed but she rides it on the interstate at 70MPH all the time. She has done and maintained close to 85MPH on some rides. As said above the Ryker is what I would call a great local machine although there are multiple people on here that do long distance cruising as well.
    I test rode a new (off the show room floor) a 600 while the dealer was assembling my 900.
    I did not want to push a new motor, but it did 70 on the Las Vegas 215 belt way effortlessly.
    So, a top end of 90 quite likely.

The advantage of the 900 is high speed passing and pulling a 6% grade

600 or 900, it is a "great local machine" and is capable of long distances, just at higher RPMs.