Spyder Garage

Exclamation Trouble starting after winter

hey guys
    Hope you are all doing well and staying safe...

Starting to panic here........

I live in New York and spring is right around the corner.
    I want to start my bike after three months in storage and all I hear is clicking noise..
    The battery is fully charged because I leave it on the battery tender.

Any suggestions?

I do have a cheap third party battery called the " Pirate Battery ",... Which always dies on me and been having many issues in the past...........
    see attached video link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GzG...ew?usp=sharing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cenzo989 View Post
    hey guys
    Hope you are all doing well and staying safe...

Starting to panic here........

I live in New York and spring is right around the corner.
    I want to start my bike after three months in storage and all I hear is clicking noise..
    The battery is fully charged because I leave it on the battery tender.

Any suggestions?

I do have a cheap third party battery called the " Pirate Battery ",... Which always dies on me and been having many issues in the past...........
    see attached video link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GzG...ew?usp=sharing
    It is more than likely battery connections, check that first, and load test your battery. .....Good Luck...Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What is battery voltage, tender disconnected, ignition off?

What is battery voltage, tender disconnected, ignition on?

What is battery voltage, tender disconnected, when solenoid clicks?
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you have a bad battery. These Spyders need a good voltage to start. I replaced my battery with the Moto-Batt
    Battery from Lamonster Garage it comes with brass blocks made by Lamonster to make install easier.
    Please let us know what you find out.
    Last edited by Partzman23; 02-17-2022 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

withy both above ...you say " battery tender " ???? ..... That might be a " trickle charger " ...if so the battery may have gotten FRIED ..... I use a a " battery MAINTAINER " .... and it says so ON the Battery .... they are different devices that do different things ..... after testing ... when making final connections to your old one or new battery ...put a pair of STAR washers on the terminals and then tighten .... Mtc's are shakers and will loosen terminal connections over time unless you use STAR washers .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Solenoid chatter

When the starter button is pressed (key on, off/run switch in run mode), voltage is sent to the coil of the starter solenoid. If the system voltage is normal, the starter engages.

If the system voltage is low, due to low battery or faulty battery cables (the frame/motor end of the negative cable is a common issue), then the voltage may be sufficient to close the coil, but when it closes the high amperage contacts from the battery to the starter, the low voltage has a compound effect:

A. Lower voltage is a challenge to the starter turning over the motor and

B. Lower voltage results in a higher amp draw for the motor to try to pull the same wattage.

For example, a 1.4 KW starter draws 109 amps at 12.8 volts, 111 amps at 12.6 volts , 113 at 12.4 volts, 133 at 10.5 volts, etc.

In a low voltage condition, once the starter tries to draw enough amps to turn over the motor, the voltage drop is so excessive that the coil cannot remain energized and it opens the high amperage contacts to the starter. If the starter button is held, the voltage recovers (after the coil drops out) enough for the coil to again close and the cycle repeats until the voltage drop will not allow the coil to close. This is solenoid chattering.

If the voltage is very low, there is only one click and there is not enough voltage for the coil to again energize.

A huge amount of issues are caused by battery cable deterioration and/or loose connections, especially on the negative cable to the frame.

Whenever there is a problem that may even remotely be electrical, it would be helpful to post the following voltage readings:

1. KEY OFF battery voltage, at the battery: Normal is 12.8, acceptable is 12.6 (standard lead acid battery, not AGM) to 12.8 for no load. If just taken off a charger, voltage may be 13 point something. The battery needs to sit for a while before a reading is useful. In the case of a bad cell, the other cells overcharge and give an almost normal reading, until load is applied.
    • If lower, then battery is discharged and needs charging or
    • Battery has a bad cell

2. KEY ON battery voltage (headlight on): Normal is not under about 12.5 initially, but will decline the longer that the headlight is on, without the motor running. Under no load, 12.5 volts indicates 50% discharge, but under load, it is just voltage drop.
    • Battery has a bad cell or
    • Battery cable(s) have high resistance

3. KEY ON battery voltage while cranking: Normal is not under 10.5 volts
    • Battery has a bad cell or
    • Battery cable(s) have high resistance or
    • Starter is drawing too much current

4. If the bike is running, battery voltage at about 2,500 RPMs should be 13.8 to 14.8
    • If not, then check stator resistance and regulator ground
    • If the stator is not shorted to ground and resistance is within spec, the regulator or regulator ground is suspect
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

Had my 2012 on a tender all the time. Went to get on because tender was green all I got was clicking. Battery was dead

Spyder Garage

Not to be rude (really) but I think you answered your own question when you stated that you have a cheepo battery that has been giving you problems..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

My making a cold start after a hibernation, I place room heater with a fan in it near the engine. Warming the oil, starter and battery makes life easier on those items, plus the engine.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Issues

Sounds like the Battery may have a problem.
    First off, if you're able check your battery out. Get it 'Load Tested'. Most auto parts store should be able to do it.
    If the battery is good then check out your cables and wires.

All good Tips posted above.

Let us know what you Find. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

When I attempted to start my 2021 spyder a month ago in January @ around 47 degrees outside. It took around 15 cycles of attempts. The starter would cycle for about 5 seconds then stop. I have an OEM battery less than a year old on a battery maintainer. It had been sitting for 2 months in a unheated shed. I started it yesterday @ 59 degrees outside and it started on the 1st try. Other than the temperature outside and sitting less everything was the same.
    2021 Limited , Brake pedal widened Glacial Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Podhouse View Post
    When I attempted to start my 2021 spyder a month ago in January @ around 47 degrees outside. It took around 15 cycles of attempts. The starter would cycle for about 5 seconds then stop. I have an OEM battery less than a year old on a battery maintainer. It had been sitting for 2 months in a unheated shed. I started it yesterday @ 59 degrees outside and it started on the 1st try. Other than the temperature outside and sitting less everything was the same.
    Next time, try my heater idea -- it really works to get a quick and easy start.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the suggestion guys !!
    Appreciate it as always...........

Just bought a new battery from lamonster with the brass connectors... I will let you know how everything turns out

TY

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Next time, try my heater idea -- it really works to get a quick and easy start.
    Yeah, I think it was the cold weather. It started right up in 60 degree outside temp. So a 115 mile first ride of the year began..��
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-22-2022 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display & removed extra/useless control cmds?!
    2021 Limited , Brake pedal widened Glacial Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

cenzo989: Did the new battery get you going?
    68F on Staten Island today, but high of 36F tomorrow!

Spyder Garage

As usual....... You guys came to the rescue...]

New battery worked great..... Thank you all !!!!!!!!