Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Must be a lucky one, my local dealer installed my rear kuhmo no problem, would have been a little less if it wasnt for the hitch. The fronts were another story took them to a local car repair shop and they mounted and balanced them for a third of what the local delaer wanted.
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can take the fronts to a tire shop. The only problem is most dont have the right size cone to balance them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Maybe when he thinks about the negatives of the Kenda his mind automatically substitutes the name of a previous troublesome love!
    Nope, of all the wives I've had, and there been a few, none were call Kendra. Just my crappy spelling. BTW I still think the later Kendas aren't that bad for typical OEM tires, they just wear really quick and like any OEM tires are expensive to replace. It's the lack of higher quality factory approved options that annoys me. I don't blame the dealers, they are between a rock and a hard place and I would do exactly as they do in their situation. I wonder if any race shops would fit them for you if you supplied the rubber as they are usually more used to modified vehicles?
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Juust don't mention them by name please

Cos we know from experience that if you do that, then for some inexplicable reason it probably won't be all that long before they too start toe-ing the corporate line!?! .
    It's amazing that they are paying enough attention here to come down on the dealer that would be mentioned but not fix the problem (Their crappy tires ) that is constantly popping up in these threads.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    It's amazing that they are paying enough attention here to come down on the dealer that would be mentioned but not fix the problem (Their crappy tires ) that is constantly popping up in these threads.
    Truer Words were never spoken/written!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I just got lucky and found somebody that's willing to do the tire change and I dont have to drive half a day to get there.

Just ordered these from tire rack Front:175/55R-15 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC SL
    Back:205/60R-15 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC SL

Although after doing some reading after my order I think I may have ordered too wide. Are the fronts that I ordered too big or will I have to do something special to accommodate them or should I cancel the order and drop it to 165's?
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 03-11-2022 at 12:54 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

165/60R15's are direct plug-n-play. "Might" have to shim the fenders for the 175's.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I just got lucky and found somebody that's willing to do the tire change and I dont have to drive half a day to get there.

Just ordered these from tire rack Front:175/55R-15 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC SL
    Back:205/60R-15 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC SL

Although after doing some reading after my order I think I may have ordered too wide. Are the fronts that I ordered too big or will I have to do something special to accommodate them or should I cancel the order and drop it to 165's?
    While I can't tell you specifically about the 175/55 Vredesteins (cos they're hard to get in Oz! ) but MOST tires that size fit Spyders without any concerns, and for those that don't just slip straight in/on, it's usually a relatively simple matter of swapping the hex head bolts in the inner fender for pan head bolts; OR maybe fitting a washer under each of the fender mount bolts; OR simply cutting the existing zip ties holding the wires to the fender brackets, twisting the wires around the fender bracket rods so they're away from the tire/on the outside, and fitting some new zip ties.

Seriously, the time/effort that it takes to do any of this just to make sure the 175's fit is insignificant; just do it, I really doubt you'll ever regret it - and besides, it's probably waaaaayyyy less effort than going to the bother of changing/cancelling your order!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Actually tire rack is very accommodating and let me cancel the order and was able to get the 165's ordered. I am trying to keep it plug and play as much as possible.

Thanks for the advice.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I would drop to the 165/60/R15

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    While I can't tell you specifically about the 175/55 Vredesteins (cos they're hard to get in Oz! ) but MOST tires that size fit Spyders without any concerns, and for those that don't just slip straight in/on, it's usually a relatively simple matter of swapping the hex head bolts in the inner fender for pan head bolts; OR maybe fitting a washer under each of the fender mount bolts; OR simply cutting the existing zip ties holding the wires to the fender brackets, twisting the wires around the fender bracket rods so they're away from the tire/on the outside, and fitting some new zip ties.

Seriously, the time/effort that it takes to do any of this just to make sure the 175's fit is insignificant; just do it, I really doubt you'll ever regret it - and besides, it's probably waaaaayyyy less effort than going to the bother of changing/cancelling your order!
    I installed the 175's approximately 2000 miles ago. I removed my left fender the other day to install the sequential LED turn signals on my 2019 RTL and this is what I found
    frayed wire.jpg

This is the wire that powers the front white light - so Peter is correct that some re-routing and new zip ties are necessary.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    You can take the fronts to a tire shop. The only problem is most dont have the right size cone to balance them.
    I found this to be true as well. The issue is the small centerhole on the Spyder wheel. I had Cycle Gear balance mine but one of the weights fell off and I wound up taking them to a high-end tire/wheel store. Their machine was a fairly new model and the arbor was small enough to fit the center hole on the Spyder wheel. It wasn't a cone issue but an arbor issue but they probably require both to be the right size to fit the center hole of the wheel correctly.
    Sold: 2020RT base with numerous improvements and farkles
    Previous 2 wheels: 3 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha and 1 Husqvarna

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    I found this to be true as well. The issue is the small centerhole on the Spyder wheel. I had Cycle Gear balance mine but one of the weights fell off and I wound up taking them to a high-end tire/wheel store. Their machine was a fairly new model and the arbor was small enough to fit the center hole on the Spyder wheel. It wasn't a cone issue but an arbor issue but they probably require both to be the right size to fit the center hole of the wheel correctly.
    I've read about this reason many, many times .... I guess I am very lucky .... I have used FOUR different shops ( over the past 12 yrs. ) and they were all able to SPIN balance my front tires ..... Sorry so many seem to be having an issue .....I discovered way back that the REAR ( if using an AUTO tire ) doesn't need to be spin balanced ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I took the dip and changed out the rear myself today, I followed the Greatrydes video and was able to remove the tire to take it out to get it mounted with the sprocket and brake caliper removed.

That was the hardest part , I went to a Good year, Tire Pros, Mr. Tire, a Yamaha Shop and a HD shop all of which stated they could not do it. one of the mechanics at the HD shop took pity and came outside and referred me to a local tire shop that would do it for me.

IMG_20220318_202433212.jpg IMG_20220318_202618644.jpg

I took a while today so I didn't get the fronts done but I will take care of those next week. Took a look at the Front sprocket while I was in there no red dust of death but it looks like there is some uneven wear on the inboard side of the pulley around the teeth.

IMG_20220318_161325073.jpg

And boy this Quatrac 205-60-15 doesn't leave much room between the frame and the tire. I checked my belt tension afterwards, a bit loose but OK right around 220 lbs measured with a Krikit 2 on top of the topside of the belt in the middle with the wheel off of the floor.

IMG_20220318_202733131.jpg

Took it up to sheets and adjusted pressure to 20 psi. Seems to be an improvement can't wait to get these fronts on and it will be a lot easy next time as I know where I can go now.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 03-18-2022 at 11:11 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I took the dip and changed out the rear myself today, I followed the Greatrydes video and was able to remove the tire to take it out to get it mounted with the sprocket and brake caliper removed.

That was the hardest part , I went to a Good year, Tire Pros, Mr. Tire, a Yamaha Shop and a HD shop all of which stated they could not do it. one of the mechanics at the HD shop took pity and came outside and referred me to a local tire shop that would do it for me.

IMG_20220318_202433212.jpg IMG_20220318_202618644.jpg

I took a while today so I didn't get the fronts done but I will take care of those next week. Took a look at the Front sprocket while I was in there no red dust of death but it looks like there is some uneven wear on the inboard side of the pulley around the teeth.

IMG_20220318_161325073.jpg

And boy this Quatrac 205-60-15 doesn't leave much room between the frame and the tire. I checked my belt tension afterwards, a bit loose but OK right around 220 lbs measured with a Krikit 2 on top of the topside of the belt in the middle with the wheel off of the floor.

IMG_20220318_202733131.jpg

Took it up to sheets and adjusted pressure to 20 psi. Seems to be an improvement can't wait to get these fronts on and it will be a lot easy next time as I know where I can go now.
    Well Walmart and Costco have NO problems mounting tires on the front or rear wheels even without removing all that you did ..... looking at your pic 3 .... I'm not sure what you call the " inboard side " .... the left side looks like it's touching the flange ... the right looks different because it's no where near the flange..... There have been a few reports on this forum of the engine being very slightly " not centered in the frame " .... but that is very rare .... I use 160 lbs on my KritKit measured with the wheel on the ground .... amny, many others here advise the same ..... the last pic - has me thinking about the belt in pic # 3. .... maybe the belt is not " aligned " .... has your Spyder ever been " Lazer aligned " ????? .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well Walmart and Costco have NO problems mounting tires on the front or rear wheels even without removing all that you did ..... looking at your pic 3 .... I'm not sure what you call the " inboard side " .... the left side looks like it's touching the flange ... the right looks different because it's no where near the flange..... There have been a few reports on this forum of the engine being very slightly " not centered in the frame " .... but that is very rare .... I use 160 lbs on my KritKit measured with the wheel on the ground .... amny, many others here advise the same ..... the last pic - has me thinking about the belt in pic # 3. .... maybe the belt is not " aligned " .... has your Spyder ever been " Lazer aligned " ????? .... good luck .... Mike
    I need the laser alignment but was waiting until I finished with the tire swap out.

As far as the tension goes, I am using the document that BajaRon sends with the Krikit 2 when you order it from him ...

IMG_20220319_012538649.jpg

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I need the laser alignment but was waiting until I finished with the tire swap out.

As far as the tension goes, I am using the document that BajaRon sends with the Krikit 2 when you order it from him ...

IMG_20220319_012538649.jpg
    Good idea to wait for your new tires .... I tried to read Ron's chart but couldn't .... As I recall from statements Ron has made about the KritKit , He doesn't recommend the BRP tension settings, which are quite high ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but the front tire/wheel balance weights will likely need to be placed on the inner part of the wheel (the part opposite the spokes). The shop that balanced mine placed weights on the inner and outer parts of the wheel and the weights on the inner part came off as soon as I backed the Spyder out of my garage for the first time with the new tires. There isn't enough clearance between the disc brake caliper and the wheel rim for a standard car balance weight to fit so it hits the caliper and comes right off. There might be some super thin balance weights available that will work but most car shops won't have them. My experience, FWIW.
    Sold: 2020RT base with numerous improvements and farkles
    Previous 2 wheels: 3 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha and 1 Husqvarna

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    the left side looks like it's touching the flange ... the right looks different because it's no where near the flange
    Just woke up and realized what you were saying here, the reason the belt looks "off" in this picture is because it is off. I took that picture while the rear tire was removed and belt moved over to the left so I could inspect the sprocket.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 03-19-2022 at 07:53 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Just woke up and realized what you were saying here, the reason the belt looks "off" in this picture is because it is off. I took that picture while the rear tire was removed and belt moved over to the left so I could inspect it.
    ....Well that answers that issue ......... Mike