Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Spyders have such a great reverse (when it works) that it is easy to get spoiled. Most of us have endured big bikes w/o reverse and got along just fine. Just takes a little more planning. I hope BRP does step up and cover the cost for the defect. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Hate to say it but I think that's a big pipe dream!! They have a hard time owning much in the way of design screw ups!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Spyders have such a great reverse (when it works) that it is easy to get spoiled. Most of us have endured big bikes w/o reverse and got along just fine. Just takes a little more planning. I hope BRP does step up and cover the cost for the defect. Good luck..... Jim
    Fortunately in my case the dealership advised me it was covered under the extended warranty I purchased when I brought the bike. I'm just hoping they get the part in before my warranty expires.
    It's only good for another year and a half
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Being CANBus, probably difficult to work around a faulty unit.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What is the country of origin for BRP switches?
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    I don't know. I was just told they come out of Asia.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Country of origin is getting to be a nebulous concept with all the back and forth movement of components as a product is assembled. Also, with all the different switches of all the different genre on a Spyder I'm sure there are multiple suppliers from multiple countries. In the case of the Left Switch Module there are ordinary contact switches like the horn, slide switches probably for the headlight, and printed circuit board bubble switches for all the various electronic controls, rocker switch of some sort for the windshield, and so on and so forth.

China is large buyer of American microchips, so even if the subject module is made in China, who knows how many American chips are on the key component of the module, the PC board.

If you can get a handle on what all countries the fruit in a can of Dole Tropical Fruit Salad come from, you'll have a good start in figuring out what the country of origin is for Spyder parts!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Hey everyone,

Just FYI, my dealer called me this a.m. Still looking at July or so for the correct left hand multi-function switch. He told me they found a possible work around. They can replace the current left hand multi-function switch with one meant for a later model. They tried it and all of the functions of the multi-switch work fine. The only difference they said was that one the old one the switch to raise and lower the windshield (which I never do) is marked "window," on the new switch it is marked "volume." Figured I did not have much to loose as long at it gets me back on the road. I am picking it up on Sat. I will send everyone an update on how it works and the part number. I suspect this issue will pop up with other folks sooner or later.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBlevins View Post
    Hey everyone,

Just FYI, my dealer called me this a.m. Still looking at July or so for the correct left hand multi-function switch. He told me they found a possible work around. They can replace the current left hand multi-function switch with one meant for a later model. They tried it and all of the functions of the multi-switch work fine. The only difference they said was that one the old one the switch to raise and lower the windshield (which I never do) is marked "window," on the new switch it is marked "volume." Figured I did not have much to loose as long at it gets me back on the road. I am picking it up on Sat. I will send everyone an update on how it works and the part number. I suspect this issue will pop up with other folks sooner or later.
    What it is MARKED is of NO consequence .... however the type of switch it is - DOES .... Hopefully they researched that part of the assembly to make sure the swicth is compatible .... glad to hear of a dealer willing to work " out-of-the-box " and take the initiative on this ..... JMHO ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hey everyone,

I'll be looking for the update.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Hi Greg, A quick update on the 2018 part issue. I was also told that the "correct" part for the 2018 RTL was on back order and would not be delivered until July 2022. My dealer called me back on Friday 02/25 and said that they had found a work around with a SWITCH_MULTIFUNCTION LH ASSEMBLY from a later model RT. They stated the newer model part would work on the 2018 but that the rocker switch which controlled the up/down of the windshield would now be labelled "volume". I told them to go for it. Picked up the bike Sunday afternoon and it will now go into reverse and I can manually down shift, all other functions are the same. They were actually able to pull the old windshield rocker switch out and use it in the new model switch assembly. My invoice shows part number 710008090 was used instead of the correct #7010008164. Not sure if your dealer might have the newer part available, but if he does it is visually identically to my old one with the exception of the windshield rocker switch and my guy was able to pull and use the old windshield rocker switch.

Good luck with your bike,
    Gary Blevins

Spyder Garage

Hi Greg,
    Good luck with your bike,
    Gary Blevins
    Thanks for the info Gary. Sounds like you lucked out big time.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Hi Greg,

From what I was told part #710008164 is the "correct" left switch assembly and is the one that is back ordered. My dealer found that part number 710008090 (from a later mode RT?) will work. The only issue was supposed to be that the rocker switch which controls the windshield would now be marked in white lettering as "volume" I told my dealer to go for it and picked the bike up late saturday. The reverse function is now restored, and it will also downshift manually. The dealer was able to take the windshield rocker switch off of the old assembly and put it on the new one. Hope this helps.

Good luck.