Spyder Garage

Question Know of any 'slip-on' Seat Covers for RT's?

The seat on my 2012 RT SE5 is structurally sound, but the "pleather" has cracked, ripped and looks terrible. I have a lambskin cover that I put over the seat when I ride, but it can't be allowed to get wet. I can't afford a whole new seat (and don't need one...just the surface material). I have asked a local upholsterer about the cost of re-covering mine. His price was the same as buying a whole new seat! Does anyone know of any "slip on" type seat covers (rider seat and passenger back) for the RT? Just something to cover up the horrendous condition of the original material... I've thought about removing the seat, and trying to upholster it myself, but I have no upholstery experience, and the results would NOT be good! LOL

Spyder Garage

Another option if you like: B04C9A1A-6E9E-4231-9D77-DBE54F5F2505.jpegEE504262-91A6-4777-A012-87039EE502B5.jpegfound at Bass Pro, straps under seat with Velcro straps, quite adjustable & stays in place when seat is lifted
    (when strapped right) leave it on 24/7 np in rain, does collect some dirt & grime between it & seat, simple to remove strap or two & wipe off with rag or towel, won’t really notice how much till you do clean there.(or if rains while at hotel & try drying seat in morning )
    Last edited by Bfromla; 02-18-2022 at 01:23 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lamonster sells sheepskin seat covers. They are very nice and fit very well. They keep you cool in the summer and warm in the cool days.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have one for a GS>>> RS >>> RSS .... but it won't fit an RT .....Mike

Spyder Garage

I looked for months as my 2012RTL like yours has gone bad. I didn't find any. I ran into the same problem as you the upholster wanted as much as a new seat. I finally went to Mark Hart at Hartco International and had him build me a new custom seat. He even builds a new seat pan you don't have to send him your seat. I know its you said you couldn't afford a new seat,but you are going to spend at least that much money anyway so get a really nice seat build to your specs. Talk to Mark.
    Hartcoseats.com

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

You might check out BRP# 219400722; supposed to fit 2019 & prior RT's. A little pricey @ 112.19 (USD) and I have no idea if it will cover your lambskin, but worth taking a look at.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Another option if you like:
    found at Bass Pro, straps under seat with Velcro straps, quite adjustable & stays in place when seat is lifted
    (when strapped right) leave it on 24/7 np in rain, does collect some dirt & grime between it & seat, simple to remove strap or two & wipe off with rag or towel, won’t really notice how much till you do clean there.(or if rains while at hotel & try drying seat in morning )
    Sounds great! I'll check the Bass Pro Shop website. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I looked for months as my 2012RTL like yours has gone bad. I didn't find any. I ran into the same problem as you the upholster wanted as much as a new seat. I finally went to Mark Hart at Hartco International and had him build me a new custom seat. He even builds a new seat pan you don't have to send him your seat. I know its you said you couldn't afford a new seat,but you are going to spend at least that much money anyway so get a really nice seat build to your specs. Talk to Mark.
    Hartcoseats.com
    Thanks, but I just need a slip-on type cover. I have a lambskin cover that I use most of the time, but I
    'd like something for all weather. :-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdave View Post
    You might check out BRP# 219400722; supposed to fit 2019 & prior RT's. A little pricey @ 112.19 (USD) and I have no idea if it will cover your lambskin, but worth taking a look at.
    I'm broke...sounds good, but I'm looking much lower. LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

http://mistymountainsheepskin.com/

A+.........I really like mine. I'm sure whoever wore it first liked it also. I carry a plastic garbage bag so if I hit a rainstorm I slip it off and stow it away until the sun comes out. Just like you do with your rain gear.

Spyder Garage

https://alaskaleather.com/collection...epskin-buttpad

I have an Alaskaleather buttpad that I bought years ago for my Ducati 620 and 1100 air cooled Multistradas. Has served me well on two bikes, still works great, and was bought used from a fellow Ducati rider about ten years ago.

It just so happens that this sheepskin pad worked great on the drivers portion of the 2009 GS Spyder. It's really too big for the passenger seat on the GS/RS though.

And when I got the 2021 RTL last March, guess what?! This same "Multistrada" pad works equally well on either the front OR the pasenger seat of the RTL. Almost looks like it was made to fit! I am ready to buy another pair to have a matched set, front and rear, for the 2021 RTL. The only drawback is that two are needed but they work great for comfort for both rider and passenger while giving rider and passenger choices to use the pad or not, independently.

These quality sheepskin pads add comfort, probably add a half inch or so of ride height (good for a six foot tall rider) and are cooler in summer and warmer in cool weather. About the only time I don't use it is when it is cold enough to need the seat heater.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ks4hcoach View Post
    https://alaskaleather.com/collection...epskin-buttpad

I have an Alaskaleather buttpad that I bought years ago for my Ducati 620 and 1100 air cooled Multistradas. Has served me well on two bikes, still works great, and was bought used from a fellow Ducati rider about ten years ago.

It just so happens that this sheepskin pad worked great on the drivers portion of the 2009 GS Spyder. It's really too big for the passenger seat on the GS/RS though.

And when I got the 2021 RTL last March, guess what?! This same "Multistrada" pad works equally well on either the front OR the pasenger seat of the RTL. Almost looks like it was made to fit! I am ready to buy another pair to have a matched set, front and rear, for the 2021 RTL. The only drawback is that two are needed but they work great for comfort for both rider and passenger while giving rider and passenger choices to use the pad or not, independently.

These quality sheepskin pads add comfort, probably add a half inch or so of ride height (good for a six foot tall rider) and are cooler in summer and warmer in cool weather. About the only time I don't use it is when it is cold enough to need the seat heater.
    I have a lambskin cover that fits both rider and passenger areas, but not the vertical part of the passenger seat back. The lambskin is comfortable, and I like it very much. However, it isn't supposed to get wet, and my Spyder lives outdoors year-round. I put it on and take it off for every ride. It does a great job hiding the ripped and torn original seat cover, but I can't leave it on full time. :-)

Spyder Garage

I am sorry I did not more fully understand what you were looking for. I thought you wanted a slip on seat cover to hide your ripped original seat cover. If what you are looking for is a way to protect your sheepskin seat cover from the rain, Call Corbin as they make rain covers for their leather seats. The holes punched in the leather allow rain in to soak the foam. Hartcoseats.com also makes rain covers so maybe they can help you out.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

You may be able to get a few names from a JoAnn's Fabric and Craft store, of people who do sewing in your area. If there are any "crafty" folks, they should be able to figure out a pattern and be able to do a 4-way stretch fabric cover that kinda resembles a tight, stretchy pillowcase. The cushioning and airflow from a sheepskin is wonderful but the getting wet part is not fun! Instead, you could put an "Egg Sitter" gel cushion on your seat, under the slip cover. The gel seat has a cover that could have elastic straps sewn to, to keep it in place, then slide the cover over it (or leave the cover off-one less layer to dry if it rains). The only issue you'd run into with a driver + passenger sized slip cover is that it can't slip all the way on to the back of the passenger seat because of the gasket support that holds the seat up. A slit and velcro from that point to the back would have to be put in there so it can go past that point. Anyway......you get the picture! Find a crafty stitcher and I think you could get something sewn for less than $100. Only thing is, the Egg Sitter seats are close to $40 each, so that brings the cost of comfort up again.
    2011 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Most of the sheepskin seat cover providers sell rain covers that go over their sheepskin. Have a look at them. I’m sure they would be shaped to fit over both your sheepskin and/or the bare seat.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Years ago I had a rain cover for my seat. Only used it once. It was like putting Armor All on your seat.

Spyder Garage

That's a good solution, but my budget is so tight, it squeaks. LOL

Spyder Garage

Good suggestions... The padding under the leather is fine, no problems, so I don't need the egg carton stuff. My lambskin covers the seat completely (except for the passenger's back piece). It looks great and is very comfortable in summer and winter. But I have to put it on and take it off before and after every ride because I can't let it get wet. I might check with the Women's Group at my church. They do a lot of quilting and sewing. The cover doesn't have to be fancy...just something to hide the rips and tears in the original material. :-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    The seat on my 2012 RT SE5 is structurally sound, but the "pleather" has cracked, ripped and looks terrible. I have a lambskin cover that I put over the seat when I ride, but it can't be allowed to get wet. I can't afford a whole new seat (and don't need one...just the surface material). I have asked a local upholsterer about the cost of re-covering mine. His price was the same as buying a whole new seat! Does anyone know of any "slip on" type seat covers (rider seat and passenger back) for the RT? Just something to cover up the horrendous condition of the original material... I've thought about removing the seat, and trying to upholster it myself, but I have no upholstery experience, and the results would NOT be good! LOL
    I still have TWO of the newer type RT seats and both would work on your 12, however Shipping would be VERY expensive. Un-fortunately you are too far away to deliver ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-25-2022 at 05:55 PM.