Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What Portable jump starters are you using?

What portable jump starters are forum members using/carrying to start their spyder in case of a dead battery?

Plus, when jump starting can you connect them via the pigtail used for a battery maintainer or do they need to be directly attached to the battery terminals to work properly?

I thought this topic was previously discussed but my search didn’t produce much info.

Thanks
    Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

I just did a quick search looking for the word 'jump' in thread titles, and found this thread on jump packs:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-on-jump-packs

And this one on external ports:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...tery-Jump-Port

This one on starting off a portable booster:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...attery-booster

Or this one on Lithium Ion jump packs:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-JUMP-STARTERS

And still without leaving the first page of my search results, this review on a jump pack Lamonster sells:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...er-Pack-Review

There's a lot more too, but these looked pretty good for starters. Help any??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter, my search skills need some improvement.
    Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    What portable jump starters are forum members using/carrying to start their spyder in case of a dead battery?

Plus, when jump starting can you connect them via the pigtail used for a battery maintainer or do they need to be directly attached to the battery terminals to work properly?

I thought this topic was previously discussed but my search didn’t produce much info.

Thanks
    Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    If you look at the fifth review that Peter listed, the one on Rugged Geek from Lamonster Garage, that's the unit I bought in 2017. It's everything that Finless says it is. I never had to jump a Spyder or motorcycle, but I used it four times on cars. I'd keep it in my Spyder in the summer then move it to my car after riding season. Last November when I was about to lay up the Spyder for the winter, I inspected it to check the charge before placing in my car and I noticed a seam in the charger had separated and the battery inside it had swelled. Being alarmed I contacted Lamonster Garage and the manufacturer, Rugged Geek, to inquire about its safety. Both suggested not to use it and to dispose of it properly because it was unsafe. The warranty had expired three years ago, but Rugged Geek generously offered me a huge discount on any unit I would buy. They didn't have to do that since it was out of warranty, but they appreciated me as a customer. So, I accepted their offer and bought a little more powerful unit and I'm ready for when/if I need a jump.

Spyder Garage

Please do NOT try just using the maintainer/charger pig-tail. Too small use 8 gauge or bigger wire & proper clamps (each wire bigger than a pencil; FYI wire sizing lil backward: pigtails maybe 12-14G ) lot of Amps at starting & want ability to quickly release-remove. Also not advisable test touching leads together checking for sparks. Preferably just battery terminals - designated locations. +1 for Rugged Geek 13BAFEDE-6043-4F4B-A84D-C5021B657828.jpg also has a air compressor that can use the jump plug on jump pack 5EF5FC79-2589-448B-B431-28F149BCD9E8.jpg Often not mentioned, any rechargeable jump pack, INSPECT/RECHARGE every 3 months;avoid extreme temperatures, some are even TSA compliant.
    **Super capacitor jump pack:

https://youtu.be/ZMfo4mk3eIw
    Gen2:
    https://www.amazon.com/autowit-Super...ews/B086L29DL9
    Last edited by Bfromla; 02-15-2022 at 01:08 PM. Reason: **

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I carry the Harbor Freight small compact jump pack. Price is right and best of all it fits in the bottom of my RTS trunk flat and takes up very little room. I've had it for three years and check it once a year and top it off if needed. It never really needed topping off. I've used to start a couple of cars but never used on a motorcycle or spyder. My compressor and tire plug kit lay flat in the bottom of my frunk. Again that takes up very little space. I've only used that once to help another M/C rider. The compressor is a Slime kit.

Spyder Garage

I carried a Genius GB 40 on my two wheeler for a year or so and then tried to use it to start my daughter's ATV with an AGM battery. Found out then it only works with lead acid batteries and not an AGM. Worked great on the lawn mowers and cars with regular batteries but not on the ATV.
    2016 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have one mad by " Schumacher " ..... It was the basic model ..... works as designed .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The rg models seem to sold out every place

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    I carry the "Viking" from Harbor Freight--but after watching this guy on You Tube, I may have to upgrade to a better one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA&t=496s
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2022 Kawasaki Z 400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arkyleo View Post
    I carry the "Viking" from Harbor Freight--but after watching this guy on You Tube, I may have to upgrade to a better one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA&t=496s
    Have one of those and it has never failed. Cranked several cars and pickups with it. Also have a mid range Schumacher that's slightly smaller. It works well also.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I use the Antigravity Micro-Start Sport. I’ve had it for years & used it for the first time a couple months ago just before the battery died on my Versys 1000. They make many sizes to suit your desire. The Sport is their smallest & can start up to a 4.0 liter V6. As said above, I similarly check it about every 6 months & charge it to full whether needed or not.

Also, when my wife’s Micro-Start wouldn’t charge after a little over a year old, they replaced it, no charge, even though past the warranty period. Great customer service.

Find them here. https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro.../micro-starts/
    Last edited by Tadpoll; 02-15-2022 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Added link

Spyder Garage

I got one of these for free from a work related perks program. Haven't used it to jump start yet, but it seems capable, has a nice case, and fits in the bike well.

https://www.lifelinefirstaid.com/product/201
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    This is the one I use, but it's a little big to carry on the Spyder for daily use.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    This is the one I use, but it's a little big to carry on the Spyder for daily use.

We have 3 of these in our shop, best heavy duty jump starts we have found. As for the Spyder, I do not believe in a travel along jump starter. If we were to carry everything that could possibly happen, we would need tandem trailer. JMHO........Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    We have 3 of these in our shop, best heavy duty jump starts we have found. As for the Spyder, I do not believe in a travel along jump starter. If we were to carry everything that could possibly happen, we would need tandem trailer. JMHO........Bill
    ... I might carry that one in my car/trk ... but not in a Sp[yder .... I have a lithium Ion jump charger and it's about the size of two cigarette packs..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for their reply’s. Useful info.
    Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Daughter got me a Halo Bolt for Christmas years ago. Still carry and use it.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

This is what I carry.

5 1/2" Long x 2 1/2" Wide x 1/2" High
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

My Harbor Freight power pack has served me well so far. But after watching that comparison video, it's looking like it's going to br replaced with an Audew or Top Vision.
    Last edited by RICZ; 02-16-2022 at 04:53 PM.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have two a Norco and Harbor Freight Viking. The viking I used a few times and nver charged it except when I first got it.

Norco have not needed to use it yet , but may keep this with my Spyder as I am pushing 8 years on the battery
    Last edited by trikermutha; 02-17-2022 at 09:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

An F-150 with jumper cables and a sister with a cell phone. Back when I used to roam all over the country I had road service included in my Spyder insurance policy. Still do, but not able to go roaming very far any more.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I use the Audew Jump Starter, Portable Battery Jump Starter 2000A Charger 20000mAh. I read some good reviews on it. Plus is comes in a nice hard case not a flimsy cloth carry bag.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

In spite of the Harbor Frieght jump starter not doing well in the test video, has anyone who has one had a problem with their's when it was needed? Thinking most are pretty much the same, I sprung for the HF one. The test showed me they are not similar.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-16-2022 at 06:03 PM. Reason: site = spite ;-)
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    In spite of the Harbor Frieght jump starter not doing well in the test video, has anyone who has one had a problem with their's when it was needed? Thinking most are pretty much the same, I sprung for the HF one. The test showed me they are not similar.
    See #6.