Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for everyone’s reply’s! Will try and get back to bike today and adjust the belt and torque axle nut to specs! Snowed again here in Western NM, so no riding for a couple of days!

Ok, adding to post, was able to loosen axle and adjust belt. Had rear tire off the ground and stable, started bike and put in first gear to check alignment, worked great! Placed a chock block at rear of tire to force tire forward, tightened axle nut to specs (wow, 166lbs takes some work ) issue came after I restarted bike to move it, VSS, Limp Home and Brake failure lights all came on? Moved bike to its parking place, shut off bike, pulled key and waited a few minutes, restarted bike, all lights were gone?
    Any ideas of what I did to cause this issue, could not take bike out due to snow! Hopefully just a momentary glitch? Will follow up after I get it out for a ride.
    Last edited by Don60; 02-17-2022 at 06:53 PM.
    2021 Spyder RT-L - Asphalt Grey
    • Vredestein tires all around
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster tire balancing rings/front
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • Lamonster belt tensioner
    • K and N air filter
    • Rear cowl - in place when you remove rear box

Spyder Garage

That’s normal to have idiot lights after rear tire change.. happened on both my two rears. There’s several sensors you disturb while doing the change.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Understood the Vredsteins are the preferred front tire replacements. How about the rear? Using Vredstein out back too? TIA!

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood 🙃
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Thanks for everyone’s reply’s! Will try and get back to bike today and adjust the belt and torque axle nut to specs! Snowed again here in Western NM, so no riding for a couple of days!

Ok, adding to post, was able to loosen axle and adjust belt. Had rear tire off the ground and stable, started bike and put in first gear to check alignment, worked great! Placed a chock block at rear of tire to force tire forward, tightened axle nut to specs (wow, 166lbs takes some work ) issue came after I restarted bike to move it, VSS, Limp Home and Brake failure lights all came on? Moved bike to its parking place, shut off bike, pulled key and waited a few minutes, restarted bike, all lights were gone?
    Any ideas of what I did to cause this issue, could not take bike out due to snow! Hopefully just a momentary glitch? Will follow up after I get it out for a ride.
    These happened because you ran the Spyder with the back tire off the ground. The NANNY doesn't know you had it off the ground just that the back tire is under power and the front tires are not moving. Nothing to worry about after all is cleared
    Hope this helps you understand why you got the messages.
    Ryde safe and enjoy
    Last edited by Partzman23; 02-19-2022 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    Understood the Vredsteins are the preferred front tire replacements. How about the rear? Using Vredstein out back too? TIA!

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood ��
    Yes they have Vredestein's in sizes that will work .... however the new Michelien Cross Climate is an Excellent choice also. Lots of folks use the Kumho Ectsa, however there have many, many reports here that they start losing WET traction at about their 1/2 life 13 to 15,000 mi. ..... your choice .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-20-2022 at 12:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    These happened because you ran the Spyder with the back tire off the ground. The NANNY doesn't know you had it off the ground just that the back tire is under power and the front tires are not moving. Nothing to worry about after all is cleared
    Hope this helps you understand why you got the messages.
    Ryde safe and enjoy
    ... this absolutely normal ... the Spyder's computer systems are extremely sensitive, however they are smart enough to correct themselves without any dealer / BUDS input .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yes they have Vredestein's in sizes that will work .... however the Altimax & the new Michelien Cross Climate are Excellent choices also. Lots of folks use the Kumho Ectsa, however there have many, many reports here that they start losing WET traction at about their 1/2 life 13 to 15,000 mi. ..... your choice .... Mike

~~~ thanks Mike! The reason I ask, thought I read (here on this forum, somewhere) that the Altimax’s rear tire that some run tends to be a higher mileage tire (harder compound vs. the softer Vredstein which is a snow tire), which lead me to wonder if many actually run the Vredstein in the back too

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Dr. Seuss
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Partzman23 and BLUEKNIGHT911; I had the bike out today, all lights reset! Makes sense about having rear tire up and running while front setting still. All good to enjoy the warmer weather…
    2021 Spyder RT-L - Asphalt Grey
    • Vredestein tires all around
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster tire balancing rings/front
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • Lamonster belt tensioner
    • K and N air filter
    • Rear cowl - in place when you remove rear box

Spyder Garage

~~~ thanks Mike! The reason I ask, thought I read (here on this forum, somewhere) that the Altimax’s rear tire that some run tends to be a higher mileage tire (harder compound vs. the softer Vredstein which is a snow tire), which lead me to wonder if many actually run the Vredstein in the back too

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Dr. Seuss
    You referring to hard vs, softer compounds just prompted me to re-check them .... I discovered that the Altimax RT43 no longer has all the Excellent ratings it did a few years ago .... mavbe the fact that the UTOG is now listed at 600 .... it used to be 400 ... I recall when tire rack sold a V rated Altimax RT 43's they had a better rating than the normal " T " or " H " version. ..... I'm now taking it off my list of " best Spyder tires ". ...... thanks ... Mike ..... either Altimax is still better than the Kumho " Ecsta " ..... .......PS just to clarify - the Vredestein Quatrac ( new model ) or the old Q-5 are NOT snow tires ....they are an ALL-Season tire but with a " WINTER " tire rating ..... best of both worlds
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-20-2022 at 12:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yes they have Vredestein's in sizes that will work .... however the new Michelien Cross Climate is an Excellent choice also. Lots of folks use the Kumho Ectsa, however there have many, many reports here that they start losing WET traction at about their 1/2 life 13 to 15,000 mi. ..... your choice .... Mike

Very true about the Ecstas w some age, but a great traction tire before that.

Spyder Garage

You referring to hard vs, softer compounds just prompted me to re-check them .... I discovered that the Altimax RT43 no longer has all the Excellent ratings it did a few years ago .... mavbe the fact that the UTOG is now listed at 600 .... it used to be 400 ... I recall when tire rack sold a V rated Altimax RT 43's they had a better rating than the normal " T " or " H " version. ..... I'm now taking it off my list of " best Spyder tires ". ...... thanks ... Mike ..... either Altimax is still better than the Kumho " Ecsta " ..... .......PS just to clarify - the Vredestein Quatrac ( new model ) or the old Q-5 are NOT snow tires ....they are an ALL-Season tire but with a " WINTER " tire rating ..... best of both worlds

~~~i wont be buying tires anytime soon but when i do it will be the VREDSTEINS on all three corners. Just checked my odometer yesterday as i rode my Spyder into Ocala. Only 1800 miles since i bought the RT early August last year. To say i ride infrequently is an understatement. This darn farm I live on and work just doesn’t allow me much in the way of saddle time, and what with the string straight roads i normally ride, the OEM Kendas work well enough that I can’t justify replacing until they wear appreciably, but when they do (i figger the rear will be the first to go) Im installing a Vredstein

At the risk of getting off topic slightly, ive been intrigued with the Centramatic wheel balancers after this company was mentioned recently. Although i have at least one reliable balancing rig, that can get the job done, the Centramtic solution looks extremely attractive

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Forever Young
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

If you have the money to throw down at it will work! But what Mike and a few others have said, I think I would just mount and fly just to see if what they say is true first, you can always balance after as long as you don't half wear them out!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

~~~i wont be buying tires anytime soon but when i do it will be the VREDSTEINS on all three corners. Just checked my odometer yesterday as i rode my Spyder into Ocala. Only 1800 miles since i bought the RT early August last year. To say i ride infrequently is an understatement. This darn farm I live on and work just doesn’t allow me much in the way of saddle time, and what with the string straight roads i normally ride, the OEM Kendas work well enough that I can’t justify replacing until they wear appreciably, but when they do (i figger the rear will be the first to go) Im installing a Vredstein

At the risk of getting off topic slightly, ive been intrigued with the Centramatic wheel balancers after this company was mentioned recently. Although i have at least one reliable balancing rig, that can get the job done, the Centramtic solution looks extremely attractive

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Forever Young
    I balance my fronts , but both Peter and I feel an AUTO tire on REAR doesn't need it ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Try balancing beads. They worked on my Honda 1800 front and rear.
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Spyder Garage

Pete n Mike, do u2 do alignments on ur bikes? And is it possible to screw up the alignment when changing the rear tires? I did make some adjustment on one rear and the bike rides true, without any wear pattern up front. The other RT was aligned and now has some outer wear on the right front edge. Thoughts? And I have Altimax in the rears of both if I get Vredesteins up front -what tire pressure? The Altimax in the rear is 18-20lbs
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    Pete n Mike, do u2 do alignments on ur bikes? And is it possible to screw up the alignment when changing the rear tires? I did make some adjustment on one rear and the bike rides true, without any wear pattern up front. The other RT was aligned and now has some outer wear on the right front edge. Thoughts? And I have Altimax in the rears of both if I get Vredesteins up front -what tire pressure? The Altimax in the rear is 18-20lbs
    No I don't Personally do an alignment . To get it correct I highly advise a Rolo alignment from soneone who knows how to use the equipment ..... I have swapped out a few REAR tires ( width Auto tires ) and that didn't change my REAR tire alignment ..... BECAUSE I first re-moved the Rear Shock bolt. You can more easily get the tire out with touching the adjusters .... ONLY lift the rear by placing a piece of wood WIDER than the width of the Rear Schock BRACKLET . DO NOT USE the bottom of the REAR shock to lift ..... If you have outside tire wear I think the alignment was done incorrectly. I recently had my Laser alignment checked because I did have a small amount of wear on both outside edges .... They said it was within specs, but I also had over 30,000 mi. on those front tires and nothing lasts forever ....I accept that ..... Both Peter and I like 15-17 on the front .... 17 psi if you ride aggressive or weigh a lot .... jmho .... good luck .... Mike