The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Default Stuck side case - any suggestions on fixing?

Hello. Just bought a new to me 2020 Spyder RTL Dark. Brought it home Friday 2/11. Lots of differences from my old 2014 and all of them good.

Hopefully I can get some advice. My right side case will not open. The salesman struggled to open it when I bought the bike and had about a 50% sucess rate. The left side opens fine with only 1 hand needed on the latch.

Anybody have suggestions?

Bill

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take it back and have them fix it.

No sense fiddling with a new machine that you paid good money .

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Take it back and have them fix it.

No sense fiddling with a new machine that you paid good money .
    ... the cable needs ADJUSTMENT ....... on my 14 it required a few pieces of tupperware to be removed, probably the same for yours ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When mine were new they both used to stick. While I held the lever in the opening position I gave the cover a firm whack with the heel of my hand and they popped open. Then I applied just a smidgen of grease to the hooks and they worked fine after that. Still today I always give them a light whack to make doubly sure they're fully latched. Just a habit I guess.

The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

When you whack the lid, do you whack it on the side or on the top?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peterparker View Post
    Hello. Just bought a new to me 2020 Spyder RTL Dark. Brought it home Friday 2/11. Lots of differences from my old 2014 and all of them good.

Hopefully I can get some advice. My right side case will not open. The salesman struggled to open it when I bought the bike and had about a 50% sucess rate. The left side opens fine with only 1 hand needed on the latch.

Anybody have suggestions?

Bill
    Same problem here, had them adjust the left one at my first service job, since that time the right bag doesn't work correctly. There is an adjuster up under the bags you can feel, it's a wing wheel that shortens and lengthens the cable.
    I have screwed with it but never found the sweet spot. Its too bad that everything with a latch on these bikes has to be cable operated. "Take it to a Dealer, If you break the lever, they won't warranty it". Good Luck......Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

When I picked mine up, the left side stuck. I just pushed in w/ my thigh when pulling the lever at first, then greased the latch bars in the cover and catch "fingers" that were visible. That, and 7500 miles of vibration and compression on the cover seal, seem to have cured the problem.

If you want to get to the back of the catch to adjust or oil it; you have to pop off the rear seat, remove 2 torx-head screws and the trim panel that is between the passenger handle and the seat. The mechanisms (there are 2) should be visible.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not on top and not on the side. Where the top and side come together, possibly a little more on the side so to speak. That portion of the cover is the strongest part of the lid. Gently at first, don't overdo it. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Here is my experience from just two weeks ago. I have a 2021 RTL and the side bag latches were always stiff and hard to open, but they always opened. Two weeks ago I broke the right side one of trying to open it. Took it to the dealers for warranty work, and they broke the left side one! They replace both under warranty.. and here’s the key .. they replaced the cables too. They told me that the cables had some kind of corrosion in them even though they were only 18. Months old. So with new cables and lubed latch assemblies and the new latch levers ... smooth as butter. Like unbelievably smooth. Incredible.
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Same problem here, had them adjust the left one at my first service job, since that time the right bag doesn't work correctly. There is an adjuster up under the bags you can feel, it's a wing wheel that shortens and lengthens the cable.
    I have screwed with it but never found the sweet spot. Its too bad that everything with a latch on these bikes has to be cable operated. "Take it to a Dealer, If you break the lever, they won't warranty it". Good Luck......Bill
    Ok, an extension of my Post #6, If and when you get the side boxes open. I found that adjusting works best with " the side bag open" when fine tuning the latch. I liberally sprayed the latch pull outside in front, and double latch in the box with SILICONE spray with ( straw attached to the nozzle) , stick the straw between and behind the pull and spray while working the pull at the same time. To adjust, back off the wheel locking nut a couple turns on the cable, turn the smaller nut in front of that (clockwise to loosen the latch). I fiddled with mine for an hour, but now they open with a firm finger pull. Again! "Clockwise to loosen, easier open" Don't forget to reset the wheel type locking nut.. Good Luck....Bill
    No wrenches involved. Hope this helps someone, I finally feel that I have mine properly adjusted now.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"