The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Default Question on a Battery Tender pigtail

Hello Spyder riders. I am coming back to the herd as of tomorrow. I previously owned a 2014 RT Limited and kept my battery charged with the old swap the fuse method with the pigtail connection plugged into the cigarette lighter socket in the rear trunk,

Tomorrow I will be picking up a new to me 2020 RT Limited and I want to set up the fuse swap maintenance for the battery on it. I do not know what connections are in the rear trunk of the 2020 at this point.

Do any of you do this on your 2020 or newer Spyder? It seems that I read somewhere that BRP quit putting the cigarette lighter connector in the newer version of Spyders. If so, how do you establish a pigtail connection through the rear trunk.

Any information that you could share would be appreciated.

Bill

Spyder Garage

Safest way to attach the charger is directly to the battery using an SAE (2-pin flat) connector in the frunk.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

probably already there mine was

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Safest way to attach the charger is directly to the battery using an SAE (2-pin flat) connector in the frunk.

The dealer added a connector for my battery charger directly from the Frunk mounted battery in my 2020 RT LTD. After I got it home, I added a similar connector for a "cigar lighter" plug. I use the Cigar plug for my TomTom GPS and the battery charger plug for the charger.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-10-2022 at 09:51 PM. Reason: fronk = frunk ;-)
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post
    The dealer added a connector for my battery charger directly from the Frunk mounted battery in my 2020 RT LTD. After I got it home, I added a similar connector for a "cigar lighter" plug. I use the Cigar plug for my TomTom GPS and the battery charger plug for the charger.
    All good Tips. Pig tail to the battery posts is my #1 choice.
    Make sure what ever you decide, use a fuse link. ......... : )
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I dont know about the later models but on my 17rtl I picked up my positive, always hot lead right at the alternator. It is easy to access and within 15 inches of the left side grill which is where I put my own homemade pair of relays and fuse box. My relays run my very loud horn and my wifes heated clothing and also bring power in from a battery tender.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-11-2022 at 03:15 PM. Reason: . spaces...
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    All good Tips. Pig tail to the battery posts is my #1 choice.
    Make sure what ever you decide, use a fuse link. ......... : )
    fuse link built into the 2 pigtails from the manufacturers of the pigs
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Hi Bill,

I decided to mount a charge plug (still need to find an inconspicuous space on my 2 RTL) - see here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I Guys

On directly on the battery is the best

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac