Spyder Garage

Default Lost key - how do I get one made without it?

How can I get a key made for a 2019 F3 if I do not have a key. The bike was bought from a shop in Texas that only had one key and my son lost that one. I need help. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Dealer should be able to look up &match using VIN#.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

The dealer says they can get the key but they don't cut them

Spyder Garage

GCronk, I am not trying to be a harbinger of doom, but I’m sure I have read a couple of times that if you have lost both keys it is necessary to replace the ignition unit.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

true, most dealers don't cut them. since you lost being able to copy one,,,,,, key blank is a ILCO 270 blank. you might get close with that. but, I doubt knowing VIN # would they know how key was cut. if you can't find the pattern, you might have to buy WHOLE new key cluster and keys to match.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Once you get Two (2) keys (minimum) done put one under the service door hidden. You will save lots of money and grief. Get your son to pay for them and the new key unit and the programming and all. Not gonna be cheap. Sorry.

Image1.jpg
    Last edited by Rattlebars; 02-11-2022 at 02:37 PM.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Don't know if this will help.... might be pre D.E.S.S.

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation It's an Ilco X270 key blank

Woodaddict -- I believe you meant the Ilco X270 blank. Which must be trimmed to allow depression for frunk and seat opening.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...X270-key-blank
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post

Good vid, but probably won't help gcronk3 much for a 2019 F3....

Those early Spyders definitely had a DESS, it was just a different version - one that for all intents & purposes, seemed to function very well with no issues, and did so right up until some engineer apparently decided to fix something that wasn't busted & BRP changed over to the problematic version that hit the streets with the release of the 2014's.... and THAT's when all the DESS troubles started, and losing both keys became a pretty expensive exercise!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Remove the lock assembly from the rear trunk. Take it to a locksmith. He can cut the keys. Make sure the keys turn the locks. Now buy 2 chipped keys, and have the locksmith cut them to match your cheap, Unchipped keys. Now take them to the dealer, along with your bike, and have the chips programmed. Won’t be cheap. Then take an unchipped key, and zip tie it under the belly pan. Take the spare chipped key, and put it in the trunk or Frunk. If the chipped key you are using is lost, the unchipped key gets you in the trunk, the chipped key gets you home!
    Or, buy your wife a bike. She Carries your spare, you carry hers! That’s what we do.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Ok, this is something that I have put on the back burner to long and you guys have sparked it back up!! I got my 2012 second hand and it came with only one key, what blank am I looking for a chip key to be programed, and what blank am I looking for a unchipped key for entry? I see I can get a chip key from brp, for a healthy price, is there a cheaper way out? I like cheap!!!!! I know I will have to get the new key programed, that shouldn't be a big deal I hope!! Thanks
    Last edited by Mikey; 02-12-2022 at 09:11 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Mikey. Our DESS system is different than the system on the 2014 and newer. Despite what the name implies, we don't actually program the keys. The chip in OEM BRP keys comes with the code already on it. That chip is not writable. You can't clone to it, and you can't change the code on it. To use one of the BRP keys, you have to go through a convoluted process with a red master key, which isn't available anymore, in order to upload the key's code into the DESS module so it can be recognized as an allowed key.

If all you want is a spare key, you buy a key blank that has a blank, clone-able transponder chip on it. Just take it, and the one key you have to a locksmith. A locksmith could possibly have one in his shop already. Get the new blank cut and cloned to your Spyder's key. You can clone as many as you want. The Spyder's DESS system can't tell the difference between the keys. Some sources.

https://www.lockpicks.com/aprilia-sc...23rt5-jma.html

https://mysecuritypro.com/ZD23RT5.aspx

That llco X270 key you see reference to around here is just a metal key. It can't be cloned. It can only be used as a spare, lock only key.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 02-12-2022 at 10:42 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Once you get Two (2) keys (minimum) done put one under the service door hidden. You will save lots of money and grief. Get your son to pay for them and the new key unit and the programming and all. Not gonna be cheap. Sorry.

Image1.jpg
    2014 and later can be programmed with only one key, although as the OP has learned, that is quite a risky position to be in.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Not pre DESS, but pre-2014. Key system was changed in 2014.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    GCronk, I am not trying to be a harbinger of doom, but I’m sure I have read a couple of times that if you have lost both keys it is necessary to replace the ignition unit.

Pete
    That is true for 2013 and earlier. With 2014 and later all keys can be lost, but as Joe says, if you get a BRP key cut by a locksmith using the trunk lock it can be programmed into the DESS.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

No one has ever come up with a way, that has been described here anyway, to clone the 2014 and later keys. You must buy one from the dealer. No other choice. To be truly safe you need to have 2 OEM keys, both programmed into the DESS.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 02-15-2022 at 07:54 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Ok, this is something that I have put on the back burner to long and you guys have sparked it back up!! I got my 2012 second hand and it came with only one key, what blank am I looking for a chip key to be programed, and what blank am I looking for a unchipped key for entry? I see I can get a chip key from brp, for a healthy price, is there a cheaper way out? I like cheap!!!!! I know I will have to get the new key programed, that shouldn't be a big deal I hope!! Thanks
    You are best off to have 2 OEM keys, both programmed into the DESS. In fact, in order to make any changes to the keys that are stored in the DESS of 2013 and earlier you MUST have two OEM keys with different codes. I don't recall anyone here saying they have had two keys programmed into the DESS with one or both being clones. It should work but I wouldn't want to have to count on it working. Also, the cloning is one way only, OEM to clone, but not the reverse since the OEM key codes are hard coded.

Clone keys are best kept for use only as spares or if you want to not use an OEM key all the time.

2014 Copper RTS