Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of doing The Tail Of The Dragon... any comments or suggestions?

I'm thinking of a quick ride from mid-Missouri to The Tail Of The Dragon in NC . .probably in early spring, I'm open to any comments, suggestions . . Thank you

Spyder Garage

The TOD is in the heart of the best riding in the SE. Be sure to hit the Pigs Trail, Wayah Rd, Cherahola Skyway along the way. Lots of maps of the area. Here's a good place to start: http://www.maggievalleyrides.com/the-rides.html

Personally, I prefer all the roads other than the Dragon for the rideability. Dragon is more 'technical', crowded, and stressful but it's on everyone's Bucket List to do at least once.

Keep your eye on the local news because wash-outs are not uncommon in the spring.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 02-09-2022 at 11:38 AM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I live in Kansas so the most accessible good riding is in Arkansas and Missouri. I note you live in Missouri so your already there. Several years ago, the need to go to ride the TOD was an itch that had to be scratched and so I did that and spent some time riding it and associated roads. To me the TOD doesn't hold a candle to some of the roads in Arkansas and Missouri. No unpleasant memories I just would not ever make that ride again just to ride the Dragon.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Hit it mid week if possible - weekends are the busiest. It's a fun stretch but I also feel it's a bit overhyped. A bit further south is Helen, GA. Blood Mountain which is another stretch of US129 outside of Helen, GA is amazing. I'm hosting a very informal gathering (Richardson Spyder Shop Gathering) in Helen, GA May 11th - 15th. We'll do a day ride up to the Dragon and bike - likely that Thursday.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Highly overrated! There are many, many miles with better scenery, less traffic, specifically fewer crotch rocket morons. Cherohala Skyway should not be missed.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

NW Arkansas is a go to destination. We have many roads comparable to the Dragon right here. Look up and order the Arkansas Motorcycle Guide. It is a freebie and has pages and pages of routes to ride. Much closer than the Dragon, and our roads are mostly free of the heavy traffic you will encounter around the Dragon.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Lots of great roads there, but if you must (and you must) add TOD to your list than go early morning or late afternoon on a weekday. The road these days is heavily patrolled and due to the number of accidents there isn't much tolerance for speeding or crossing the lines. Don't get upset at the LEO's if you get a driving award. They are tired of picking up bikes and bodies. The crotch rocket crowd can be a pain, but I have found the old guys (like me) on their tourers that think they are on crotch rockets to be a bigger problem. I ride a lot of twisties in W.V. and eastern Ky. and one thing the TOD has going for it is the fact it is paved
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Highly overrated! There are many, many miles with better scenery, less traffic, specifically fewer crotch rocket morons. Cherohala Skyway should not be missed.
    .... but my favorites in that area are the " RATTLER " & 129 through the Mark Twain forest down to Peel's ferry ( it's free )...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mid-week, ride your own ride, don't sight-see, and STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!! It is NOT over-rated, just over-ridden. Tuesday evenings in Knoxville the vintage motorcycle enthusiasts gather at the Time Warp Tea Room on Central Ave. Yes, some of us ride our Spyders to the gathering.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dannoinmo View Post
    I'm thinking of a quick ride from mid-Missouri to The Tail Of The Dragon in NC . .probably in early spring, I'm open to any comments, suggestions . . Thank you
    Others have mentioned other roads.
    Another ride nearby is The Devils Triangle. Make sure you ride on a Sunday. The other days of the week, the coal trucks from the coal mines will slow you down.

https://devilstriangletn.com/

DevilsTriangle_2015.jpg

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 02-09-2022 at 10:31 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

As others have noted, avoid the weekends. There is way too much traffic for anyone to enjoy the road. Best time is in the AM, most any week day but Tues-Wed-Thu are best.

If you get down into N. GA, make sure you do Highway 60 and 180 and 197.
    Sold: 2020RT base with numerous improvements and farkles
    Previous 2 wheels: 3 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha and 1 Husqvarna

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think everyone elses comments have it covered. But yes, it is a must ride road for motorcycle or sports car enthusiast. I just suggest doing it Monday through Thursday. I have ridden that so many times, and on so many vehicles. Just don't get freaked out if someone comes up behind and passes you on a sport bike. In fact, if you don't pull over, then you should expect it. But always check out the other roads in the area. Especially the Foothills Parkway Extension and the Cherohola Skyway. We will be in the area this spring also, but probably taking the convertible up.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I'm in agreement with most of the previous posting. I rode the TOD so I can check it off the list of roads to ride but it is not my favorite due to crowds and overly energetic potential organ donors. My buddy and I were lucky. It was raining when we showed up. It was midweek the third week of May and Deal's Gap was still packed. The good thing was the rain kept the two wheeler off the road and us two Spyders had the road all to ourselves!

Spyder Garage

Just rode a new Ryker in from eastern St. Louis, to middle TN, just about froze to death. Dragon is a must, but some of my favs are Smokey Mountain National Park, blue ridge parkway south of Asheville stopping to eat at the Pisgah inn. If you head to Helen, stop at tallulah falls at least for the over look. Plenty of hidden gems all over, one is at the end of my driveway. Take a tire repair kit, and a first aid, take some friends if you can. I’ve patched a tire in the Dragon stores parking lot. Happy trails!!

Spyder Garage

Copperhead Lodge in Blairsville GA is a good base. Plenty of good riding in that area as well.
    2021 RTL , Asphalt

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Mid-week, ride your own ride, don't sight-see, and STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!! It is NOT over-rated, just over-ridden. Tuesday evenings in Knoxville the vintage motorcycle enthusiasts gather at the Time Warp Tea Room on Central Ave. Yes, some of us ride our Spyders to the gathering.
    We are doing the Tail of the Dragon on 6/20-22. So we might have to venture out to this gathering, if you are still doing it.
    2020 Can Am Spyder RT Limited "The Comet #2"

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Passenger Armrests From Can Am
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Top Cuff W/Ram Ball
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Ultragard Cover from Lamonster
    Top Grills from Spyderpops
    Garage Door Opener from Spyderpops
    3.5mm Extension from Amazon
    Lamonster USB Cable Holder & Cable
    Foam Grips from Spyderpops
    Tricled Strobe Brake Light module
    Tricled Bag Lights (replace reflectors)
    Tricled Turn/Brake/Run Signals Rear
    Tricled Floorboard Lights
    Tricled Sequential Run/Turn Fender Lights
    Tricled A-Frame Run/Turn Lights
    Tricled LED American Flag Mount & Flag
    Showchrome American Flag
    2020 RT Limited , Says Chalk White, but in person it is much more gray

Spyder Garage

A group that I ride with have made 2 trips to Mountain View Arkansas area for riding. I agree, doing the TOD is only for checking a box, Nothing special. Out here in Arizona we have the Devil's Highway (almost 100 miles of nothing but curves/twisties). Last time I rode it I met a total of 25 vehicles for the entire length. Also Wickenburg to Jerome road that will give you all the thrills of the Dragon with a lot less traffic.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    A group that I ride with have made 2 trips to Mountain View Arkansas area for riding. I agree, doing the TOD is only for checking a box, Nothing special. Out here in Arizona we have the Devil's Highway (almost 100 miles of nothing but curves/twisties). Last time I rode it I met a total of 25 vehicles for the entire length. Also Wickenburg to Jerome road that will give you all the thrills of the Dragon with a lot less traffic.
    .... In the same area of the " D " look for the " Rattler " it's much nicer and without the crowd and Cops ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

And Remember to Smile for the camera, and get your photo!

David TotD June 28_2018 Original (1).jpg

A buddy and I did Ch. Skyway, TOD, and DT on the same day passing through from GA to KY. I'll take my '18 back down for the Rattler and others mentioned above. It's a beautiful riding area. And as Blueknight911 Mike just reminded me, it's where I got my last (VERY Expensive ticket for passing a Drivers Ed car in a no passing zone, c'mon he was going 15 mph and no one was coming...)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2022 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    NW Arkansas is a go to destination. We have many roads comparable to the Dragon right here. Much closer than the Dragon, and our roads are mostly free of the heavy traffic you will encounter around the Dragon.
    They won't be if you keep mentioning it. It is beautiful up there. Years back I lived in So AR and we would vacation in the northern part of the state.
    21 Spyder base F3