Spyder Garage

Default Stripped oil drain hole! Any thoughts?

I can't believe it, I've never striped a plug hole before In preparation of the oil change, I looked up the torque values for the plug and am well aware of the soft nature of aluminum it was being threaded into. I did buy the Ryker slightly used so I'm blaming the previous owner! Anyways, looking for any tips and tricks. It's the secondary drain. Doesn't look like there's a lot of room there to mess around. The current plug is 8m and its a bit of a jump to drill and tap for a 10m plug, but that's what I'm leaning towards. Any thoughts?
    2019 Ryker 900
    Goodies list: 2up seating with Can-am comfort seats and foldable back rest / Can-am handguards and deflectors / LinQ top case / Can-am tank bag / Elka Stage 3 rear shock / Baja Ron anti-sway bar / AdvancedSportTouring helmet locks / Providence cup holder w/ABC bottle cage / SlingMods parking brake lock / keyless "Duo" frunk lock / front fender sequential LED turn signal and running lights / brake light flashers / Shift Jockey w/Twisted Shifterz Shift Knob / rear turn signal mod

Spyder Garage

Helicoil?
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Helicoil?
    Well about 10 years ago a ( former ) member took the advice and used a " helicoil " ....it blew out while He was riding By the time He discovered it He had lunched His V-twin engine ..... This is all I remember, could He have NOT put the COIL in correctly .... anything is possible ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure what the drain plug looks like on your Ryker...But if its just a "simple" plug, You can probably take it to a auto supply store and they should have self tapping oversize plugs...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I'm not sure what the drain plug looks like on your Ryker...But if its just a "simple" plug, You can probably take it to a auto supply store and they should have self tapping oversize plugs...larryd
    Or try here. https://www.americanfastener.com/self-tapping-screws/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-09-2022 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Fixed link
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Is there still thread? If so, maybe some teflon tape will do the trick, that stuff is oil resistant and used in a wide variety of places to stop leaks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-09-2022 at 06:07 AM. Reason: tread = thread ;-)
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Link issues? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    This Link will not work. Not Sure Why? ....

Link is good to go now. ..... : )
    Last edited by Little Blue; 02-10-2022 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display & link ;-)
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the edit, Peter.... English is not my native language
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

As a former shop owner I think a properly installed helicoil would be the answer. The problem is that installing a helicoil correctly is a little tricky imho and should be done by someone who has done hundreds. There are other types of quick fix type plugs available and I have tried most of them and would not recommend any of them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-11-2022 at 03:16 PM. Reason: . spaces
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    This Link will not work. Not Sure Why? ....
    Worked for me. I use the Chrome browser, but sometimes links don't for with it so I swap over the Windows browser.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Worked for me. I use the Chrome browser, but sometimes links don't for with it so I swap over the Windows browser.
    As noted in the 'last edit by...' note at the bottom of those posts with the link in them, I fixed the link a few hours before your post gkamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    Thanks for the edit, Peter.... English is not my native language
    No worries Piratezz, what you had would've been fine if spoken out loud, only just a little confusing cos it was written - and I was in here fixing that link anyway, so it seemed like the right thing to do... your suggestion's a good one too, if there's any thread left!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-09-2022 at 11:14 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jb weld on the plug and dont worrie about that little bit of oil

Spyder Garage

Wow, thanks for all the replies! There is still some threads...it held and only leaked once the oil warmed up and thinned out a little. Maybe Teflon tape would be all it takes to stop leaking? I will look into that helicoil too, I've heard that suggested a lot. Got to see how big the hole needs to be to install the helicoil...if it's as big as the hole needed to tap for a bigger drain plug, I'll likely just consider the bigger drain plug over the helicoil.

***edit** I just remembered something that will rule out the helicoil. While inspecting the secondary plug location, I noticed the hole doesn't open up into an oil sump. Instead it has an oil passage that goes through it. (seamed wierd to me) Installing a helicoil would block that passage and would not allow the oil in that passage to drain out in future oil changes.
    Last edited by n8dogg; 02-09-2022 at 02:11 PM.
    2019 Ryker 900
    Goodies list: 2up seating with Can-am comfort seats and foldable back rest / Can-am handguards and deflectors / LinQ top case / Can-am tank bag / Elka Stage 3 rear shock / Baja Ron anti-sway bar / AdvancedSportTouring helmet locks / Providence cup holder w/ABC bottle cage / SlingMods parking brake lock / keyless "Duo" frunk lock / front fender sequential LED turn signal and running lights / brake light flashers / Shift Jockey w/Twisted Shifterz Shift Knob / rear turn signal mod

Spyder Garage

It is not going to help with the threads already stripped, but I would suggest never torquing a drain plug ...... an especially not one in an aluminum pan. Torque values are for clean dry threads. Oil drain holes are almost impossible to get clean and dry. The residual oil on the threads lubricates them and allows the plug to be over-tightened. I never torque any drain plugs. I just put them in snug with a shorty ratchet handle. I don't use the solid metal sealing washers either. I use a metal and fiber sandwich washer to seal the and stop leaks. You can find them of the proper size for most any vehicle.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOHAUX-Bron...ps%2C76&sr=8-3

If the teflon tape will not stop the leaks, these washers might even stop the leaks on a stripped plug.

If you are concerned that it is not factory parts, remember that a stripped plug is also not factory approved.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    If you are concerned that it is not factory parts, remember that a stripped plug is also not factory approved.
    Thanks, way to put things in perspective!
    2019 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Once you have it repaired, switch to this method...

Mityvac 7201 Manual Fluid Evacuator - find it on Amazon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Once you have it repaired, switch to this method...

Mityvac 7201 Manual Fluid Evacuator - find it on Amazon
    Sucking the oil out thru the dipstick tube is probably not such a useful concept if you really want to properly change the oil on a dry sumped motor like those our Spyders have.... possibly it's even questionable on a full-sump motor too, unless you know that the pick-up gets down into the deepest part of the sump & sucks all the dirty dregs out as well as the easy to remove cleaner stuff... But as always, it is your machine, so it's your choice!?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Just for fun I used my boat oil changer to suck the oil out the dipstick and found that it left about 1 to 2 qts in the sumps.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I stripped out my oil drain plug on my Outlander (atv). I went to a SAE size, slightly larger. Got the correct drill and tap. Works like a champ. Bolt I am using does not have a magnet.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green