Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate and Corbin seat FITMENT - not comfort

OK .. This will be a 2nd topic in follow up to my seat topic. This will be for F3 Corbin and Ultimate seat owners only. For those of you who currently use a Corbin or Ultimate seat on your F3, or have in the past, how was your seat fitment on the F3? Did the seat fit nicely the first time? Any unreasonable gaps or flaws? I am likely going to order a seat this week. As stated in my original topic, I have owned (4) Corbin's on past machines, but never an Ultimate. I'm NOT concerned about the comfort aspect, as that is purely subjective. Fitment to the machine is not. I haven't had any fitment issues with my past Corbin's, but I am hearing more negative about them over the past few years. My last Corbin was five years ago. Thanks for any experienced input

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Ultimate seat

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    OK .. This will be a 2nd topic in follow up to my seat topic. This will be for F3 Corbin and Ultimate seat owners only. For those of you who currently use a Corbin or Ultimate seat on your F3, or have in the past, how was your seat fitment on the F3? Did the seat fit nicely the first time? Any unreasonable gaps or flaws? I am likely going to order a seat this week. As stated in my original topic, I have owned (4) Corbin's on past machines, but never an Ultimate. I'm NOT concerned about the comfort aspect, as that is purely subjective. Fitment to the machine is not. I haven't had any fitment issues with my past Corbin's, but I am hearing more negative about them over the past few years. My last Corbin was five years ago. Thanks for any experienced input
    Ultimate Tall boy on a 2019F3L
    Fitment and finish I would classify as a 9.5/10
    It is a one piece unit.sits you back about 1 inch, raises you 1” due to firmer foam.
    No more fidgety butt trying to get comfortable.
    6’1”, 32” inseam, 200 lbs, using the Ultimate backrest.
    PM me if ya wanna sit on it…Edgerton.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Ultimate Tall boy on a 2019F3L
    Fitment and finish I would classify as a 9.5/10
    It is a one piece unit.sits you back about 1 inch, raises you 1” due to firmer foam.
    No more fidgety butt trying to get comfortable.
    6’1”, 32” inseam, 200 lbs, using the Ultimate backrest.
    PM me if ya wanna sit on it…Edgerton.
    Aren't you still down south?

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Be home around March 1st.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I have had too many bad experiences with Corbin that I stay away from them like I do the Covid. Although on a 2 wheeler, bike fittment was horrible - like it was meant for another bike. I returned and it came back even worse! And I don't like hard saddles like they make.
    I bought an Ultimate and the fittment to the bike was good, but I made it gooder by tweaking the 2 bars in the front a bit. No big deal. One size does not fit all and I did have to go to my customizer and have it fitted to my butt. Had heat put in it too. Nice. Very nice.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Having bought an Ultimate seat for our previous 2015 RTL and finding it perfect, we were deeply disappointed in the F3 seat we tried from them a few months ago for a 2021 F3L. We returned it due to very poor fitment. From the side in the area of the drivers' thighs, there was a very large gap; enough to see through to wire bundles. Ended up having Seth Lamm customize the factory seat. It's perfect.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

My wife and I both have the Ultimate Tall Boy seat on our F3Ls. They both fit great and we have no complaints about fit or finish. Have had Russell seats and Cannonball. The Ultimate tall boy seat is by far the best seat in our opinion.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As a follow up to the other thread and for those who didn't see it I'll go ahead and attach the pics. I just ordered a Corbin for my F3 on Jan. 7 and it arrived on Jan. 24.

I went to install it last Thursday night which requires moving the cowl latch from it's side position to the middle of the frame using a bracket that Corbin supplies.

I completed moving the latch and went to attach the seat. Looked good with the front tongues inserted all of the way into the seat tongue grooves until I went to latch it.

The post was striking the latch body and not aligned to the latch. When I go to move the post into alignment with the latch everything goes wonky and the seat will not sit evenly on the pan and it stressed and broke the latch.

I contacted Corbin on Friday and they verified via text after talking with them on the phone and sending some pics via text that my latch install was correct and they were going to issue an RMA to return the seat so they could add more material to the front. I sent a text back welcoming the RMA but stressed that I felt that the latch post was in the incorrect position and probably needs to be moved. I haven't had any other response from Corbin since Friday and I tried to call yesterday to see if they issued the RMA, it was a little after 5 pm here which should have made it a little after 2 there. I was told that all of the support people had left for the day and I would get a call back today. I have not received any call back and no email contact so I will attempt to contact them again tomorrow. Not too happy about this especially with the difficulty in communications. If I dont hear anything soon I am just sending it back to them on my dime and disputing their payment through Visa.

IMG_20220203_215711045.jpg IMG_20220203_221605153.jpg IMG_20220203_221636610.jpg IMG_20220203_221700291.jpg IMG_20220203_222831457.jpg
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 02-08-2022 at 08:59 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

That's a shame. I haven't had any fitment issues with my past (4) Corbin seats. I did have a material issue on my last one, in 2016 that was corrected promptly. I hear that Corbin's customer service has also been slipping. But, I have also read about some Ultimate fitment issues too, but Ultimate customer service sounds superior. Making it harder to spend the expensive $$ on a seat. I do have a note in to Seth Laam about getting an adjustment, but there's only so much you can do with the OEM pan as far as riding position. The adjustment would be free, other than my dime for shipping cost. I still have about 6-7 weeks till riding season. We shall see.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-09-2022 at 12:11 AM. Reason: theirs's = there's or there is... ;-)

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Well this whole thing sucks and it is now going on a year since I bought this Spyder and I still dont have a seat so that my wife can go riding with me. Didn't realize that this would of been that much of a headache just to add a passenger seat. I even tried ordering one when I bought the Spyder and BRP failed to deliver and refunded my money for it.

I guess the gods are telling me I need to ride alone or buy an F3L.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

buy a new rtl then you have the best of both

Spyder Garage

Well, I got a hold of Corbin today and got things somewhat straightened out. Turns out I wasn't supposed to use the stock seat slots to put the tongues of the seat in to.

It looks better but still has some gaps and maybe its just my OCD self obsessing of the fit of the stock seat and how tight it was to the tank for some reason or another it just doesn't look clean to me.

I went for a quick ride out on Rt.15 and the seat seems comfortable even though it is a bit hard but that was expected.

IMG_20220209_182316984.jpg IMG_20220209_182420317.jpg IMG_20220209_182724903.jpg IMG_20220209_183509242.jpg IMG_20220209_183449496.jpg IMG_20220209_182604226.jpg IMG_20220209_182457058.jpg

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

no thanks

Spyder Garage

The seat looks awesome, but I think I would be a bit disappointed with the fitment gaps. Hopefully the comfort wins you over..

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Update: Got the new latch in yesterday and replaced it.

Tested operation before I put the Corbin back on and all was ok.

Put the Corbin back on and went for a ride since it was nice yesterday and I think once it breaks in it will be a nice seat but there is an exception.

Got back home and wanted to take the seat off so I could wash the salt off the frame as there was still some remnants from melting snow on the road.

Turn the key to release the latch and it is really tight. I tried pulling up and pushing down on the back of the seat to try to relieve the stress from the latch post with no result.

I am afraid of turning the key too hard as I don't want to break another latch or even worse yet a key in the ignition. Looks like I will need to remove the cable from the key cylinder and pull on the cable and hopefully I will not break the latch or the cable.

Sending off an email to Corbin.

Well I was told by Corbin my last email was rejected because I had pictures attached. Just tried to send an email to their techatcorbin (obfuscated email even though it isn't working) email address with the info above with no pics as not to be rejected by their firewall.

And was greeted by this once again from the google mail system : The response from the remote server was: 550 unknown user

Why would you put an email address for tech support on your literature and not maintain that email address?

Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 02-12-2022 at 10:28 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

After seeing many posts describing your latch problem, I attached wires (plastic coated cable) to the latches and NEVER use the key to open either the frunk or seat.

SAFETY CABLE.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Yeah, that fitment issue is one of the reasons I am happy to send a stock seat to Daylong for them to modify, Clover. You know the seat pan/lock will fit/work when you get it back. Good luck with getting it to release without further issue

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thing is, without a rigid seat pan, you'll never get as nice of a supportive seat like Corbin/Ultimate/Mustang can provide. The flimsy OEM plastic pan just can't support mods needed to make a wide/firm/flex free seat. Too cost prohibitive to make a solo seat replacement. Plus, not being able to rob space from the passenger portion will restrict back spacing. I'm giving Seth a chance to make some teaks. Just can't beat the fitment of the OEM seat.
    Last edited by troop; 02-12-2022 at 05:30 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Just to add insult to injury when it comes to adding this seat on for my wife. I went to install the OEM passenger floorboards I ordered from the Can-Am parts site so I could install the risers I bought from Pierre as my wife is vertically challenged.

The brass inserts that Can-Am sent with the floorboard hardware are the wrong inserts as they are only about half of the diameter of the hole it needs to go into to hold the floorboards. Called the dealer that sent them and they confirmed I ordered the correct sku number and are working to try to get me the right inserts so I do not have to return the floorboards.

I really hope she appreciates all of the headaches (and cash between seat, floorboards and risers I have spent almost $1400) I am going through.

I know I for one will be glad when I can come on these forums (and most likely a lot of the forums users will be glad as well) and not have to talk about adding on this *#!@ing passenger seat.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 02-12-2022 at 11:34 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Thing is, without a rigid seat pan, you'll never get as nice of a supportive seat like Corbin/Ultimate/Mustang can provide. The flimsy OEM plastic pan just can't support mods needed to make a wide/firm/flex free seat. Too cost prohibitive to make a solo seat replacement. Plus, not being able to rob space from the passenger portion will restrict back spacing. I'm giving Seth a chance to make some teaks. Just can't beat the fitment of the OEM seat.
    I dont think this is rigid. It has a "soft round spot" that flexes for the 2up switch on the pan and after I latch it in the passenger side flexes to activate the switch.

switch.jpg
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 02-12-2022 at 05:55 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

The Corbin base pan is far more rigid than the OEM plastic pan..

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

You have obviously never tried a Daylong, Troop. You get a very supportive seat, tailored specifically to your size and riding position using the base “flimsy” pan, that is all day comfortable. I’m not sure what you are basing your claim on, but quite simply, it is wrong
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    You have obviously never tried a Daylong, Troop. You get a very supportive seat, tailored specifically to your size and riding position using the base “flimsy” pan, that is all day comfortable. I’m not sure what you are basing your claim on, but quite simply, it is wrong
    I could be. I have never had a chance to look at/sit on a Daylong. I'm hoping Seth can make some worthwhile tweaks to my seat. I'm guessing you like your Daylong

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I could be. I have never had a chance to look at/sit on a Daylong. I'm hoping Seth can make some worthwhile tweaks to my seat. I'm guessing you like your Daylong
    Yep, I have loved all 4 previous Daylongs too, Troop. Butt Ugly, but they certainly do the job. For me they have been set up just right from day one, except for one, and Russell paid for the return ship from Australia to redo it. I haven’t tried Seth, mainly because I have sent him several requests via his contacts page and have never received a reply…….I’m surprised his seat hasn’t measured up, as he is ex Daylong. Hopefully he will sort it for you this time around. thumbup:

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yep, I have loved all 4 previous Daylongs too, Troop. Butt Ugly, but they certainly do the job. For me they have been set up just right from day one, except for one, and Russell paid for the return ship from Australia to redo it. I haven’t tried Seth, mainly because I have sent him several requests via his contacts page and have never received a reply…….I’m surprised his seat hasn’t measured up, as he is ex Daylong. Hopefully he will sort it for you this time around. thumbup:

Pete
    He NEVER replies to emails. He keeps saying he's going to update his web page to state phone calls only, but he hasn't. International phone calls could (??) be pricey. I like the seat 80% of the time. The other 20% is long days (650+ KM) in the saddle, maybe just my own azz or too much to expect We'll see ...
    Last edited by troop; 02-13-2022 at 04:08 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky