Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Hey Guys..new to this site..

Hey Guys, new to the site. and to the Spyder community.. like many, I am almost 50, and just getting my first motorcycle (well really powerful tricycle)and have been riding all over my part of the state enjoying every part of it.. up until last night.. its about 30' here at night.. coming home from my buddies house and needed some gas.. (so 2 questions there actually) this was the 2nd time I've filled up the tank.. first time being in the day time.. with out a problem.. but last night was different.. I opened up the tank.. filled it to the normal 7 gallons or so.. and when I went to close it.. the metal lid wouldnt go all the way back in?? I tried pushing it in and it wouldnt budge.. which meant I also couldn't release the key to start the engine, and drive home. this was of course at night.. and in 29' degrees.. good ol' Murphys Law.. ..so off came the gloves.. sat down on the seat.. and over the next 2-3 minutes.. was basically.. pushing as hard as I could to get the flap to go back in so I could turn the key to close it..finally, success. but that sucked..anyone ever had this problem.. and what did you do to resolve.. I guess second question would be.. I went to about 32 mi. left in the tank, before gassing back up.. low fuel light was on.. anyone familiar with what the real "oh ****" gas tank is empty reading would be.. obvious solution to that is just put in gas at 1/4 tank level.. but just curious.. incase I was remote and not around a station.. thanks guys.. and gals.. AZBoy

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Forum; I've sent you a PM AZBoy, and I copied your post above out of the Welcome section & in to this new thread with an expanded title (cos it always pays to briefly state your question in the title )

You can read the PM by clicking on the flashing red 'Notification' up the top right of the page just to the left of where it says 'My Profile', and please, do send the Read Receipt so I know that you've at least opened the PM & so I can stop bugging you about it!

Cheers
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Many have had this problem with the F3 gas cap being hard to close and latch. Me too. A quick and easy first thing to do is put some lubricant on the rubber seal and latch. I cured mine by filing/grinding the top, flat part of the latch piece down until the cap locked with only gentle pressure.
    I placed a plasic bag over the hole and taped it down. Then with a Dremel and file I whittled maybe a 1/32" away and that worked. That was 3 years ago and I think the rubber seal has swelled, because I have to take some more of the latch down as it became hard to close again.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I was worried about this as well and replaced the stock cap with the one from Lamonster. No worries and it looks really cool.
    Thunder's just the noise. Lightning does the work.

Spyder Garage

Wish my RT held 7 gal. but at least I've never had any problem with the gas cap.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-08-2022 at 09:19 AM. Reason: .space
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE