Spyder Garage

Default What could be causing the Loud brake noises?!?

Just got a 14 Rts for the wife, has about 25k on it. Maintenance history was good from previous owner but have not had a chance to go thru the bike yet. While using the brakes at slower speeds they are very loud making a howling type sound. I checked the rotors and they seem fine and brake pads appear fine. Could the pads have been replaced with aftermarket pads causing the noise? Brakes work great and everything seems fine when riding. Thanks for any help.

Spyder Garage

I don't really think a/mkt pads will be the cause of that noise....

The OE Brake Pads & Discs on Spyders are pretty much renowned for making loud braking noises, especially at low speeds; and many swap to EBC a/mkt pads to reduce the noise, which is usually a very effective solution, especially if the swap includes the addition of anti-squeal compound on the back of the new pads!

It isn't really an issue tho, the Brembo Brakes on the 2013 & on Spyders are really very good, even if they do make a noise. If the noise really bugs you and you have a sensitive enough foot, you can learn to apply your brakes in a way that'll minimise the noise somewhat; or you can just learn to live with it & appreciate it for what it is - the noise is really just letting the world know that your brakes are very efficiently converting rotational energy into heat & noise.

There again, if you truly can't live with it & you haven't been able to develop the knack of using your brakes in a way to minimise the noise, you can always try adding anti-squeal to the back of the pads when next you can take them out; you can swap the OE Pads for EBC pads with anti-squeal compound added on the back of them during installation; or you could swap out both the Pads AND the Discs for EBC replacements (with anti-squeal as appropriate) - they'll work at least a bit better, generally last longer, and when fitted properly with anti-squeal applied, are usually a whole lot quieter too!

Cheers
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by totalcomfort View Post
    Just got a 14 Rts for the wife, has about 25k on it. Maintenance history was good from previous owner but have not had a chance to go thru the bike yet. While using the brakes at slower speeds they are very loud making a howling type sound. I checked the rotors and they seem fine and brake pads appear fine. Could the pads have been replaced with aftermarket pads causing the noise? Brakes work great and everything seems fine when riding. Thanks for any help.
    " appear fine " ????? ....how closely have you looked ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

And when you check the pads be sure to look at both the inside and outside pad on each wheel. Seems they have a habit of not wearing out evenly.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I replaced My O.e.m. brakepads, at less then 10.000 km's, there were metal on metal, I replaced them with ebc rotors, and pads, and they work better then the original stuff. and they sure seem to last longer, and quieter.
    As noted in previous post, my pads did not wear evenly. I think I must have had a bad batch...
    use antisqueeze, and you'll be a happy camper
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

If you have taken your pads out, did you notice if the back of the pads were coated with any kind of, ( I call brake butter), It's a produce that you can get at the auto parts store that you coat the back side of the pad to get rid of that pad chatter, or squeal! I got a set of pads from Ron a few years back and in his instructions, he said to use it, I thought I don't need that crap, put them together and guess what, I did and had to redo it over again!! So, if it was me I would take the brake pads out and give everything a good cleaning and get yourself some of that paste and put them back together and see what you get!! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by totalcomfort View Post
    I totalcomfort

If you want to decrease the noise of the brakes a lot, file the corners of the brake pads like the picture so that the brake dust comes out.

FlyBoy2121

index_LI.jpg
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Noise

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy2121 View Post
    total comfort/less noise.....

If you want to decrease the noise of the brakes a lot, file the corners of the brake pads like the picture so that the brake dust comes out.

FlyBoy2121

index_LI.jpg
    All good Tips. The beveled pads are needed to get a noiseless operation. Most of the better brands of pads have this beveled edge. I only install beveled pads.
    Also be sure to use 'special pad grease'. Most auto parts store should have it.

My Tip: Install beveled pads. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the help, I am going to dig in before riding season and get all the maintenance stuff checked and all the fluids changed. New to the spyder bikes but work on my 03 Goldwing and several other bikes. I have ordered a factory service manual, but will have a lot to learn.

Spyder Garage

The noise or squealing is caused by vibration. It is not the pad rubbing the rotor. Beveling the pads helps and using the anti-squeal "brake butter" (I like that) will dampen the vibration and eliminate or greatly reduce the noise. Brembo brakes in general, not just the ones on the Spyder, seem to be prone to this. A shot of compressed air to clear out the dust and dirt wouldn't hurt once and awhile. The rear caliper gets especially dirty since it catches all the crap thrown up and also lives in an environment that doesn't get much cleaning/cooling air. The extra heat and dirt also contribute to rear pad wear.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I Guys !!!

Over the years I have looked at a lot of information on brakes that are squeaky, what I have found is since asbestos is banned in the material mix, the new materials are too hard, and if have little to have Ceramic coolers sound much better, they squeal less and easier to clean the wheels and mags.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

There are several things you can do to reduce squealing. Which, as mentioned, is a high frequency vibration. Pictures are meant to be representative of the advised action only. They are not Spyder or Ryker pad sets.

Bevel the leading edge with a file. I don't recommend filing the trailing edge. You don't back up that much and filing both leading and trailing edges will reduce pad contact more than necessary. Pads come with both edges beveled because they don't know which way you are going to install them and they want to be sure the leading edge is tapered. If you're doing the install yourself. You can end up with a better job by just doing the leading edge.
    Brake.png

Cut 1 or 2 lines in the pads. This removes very little material. This squeegees the rotor helping it to stay free of brake dust. Another reason for squealing. It will also help to shed water. But this is not really a problem with disk brakes. Personally, I prefer 2 diagonal lines cut. But I cannot say that this is any better than the other approaches. I use a hack saw. Do not cut all the way through the pad. Leave a little meat at the bottom of the pad.
    Brake2.jpg

Coat the back of the pad with a thick layer of Anti-Squeal gel. This gel absorbs vibration. Vibration builds on itself. If you can prevent it in the first place, it should solve your squeal issues. You want to put it on fairly thick and let it dry for a bit. Giving it time to set up before installiation.
    Brake3.jpg

Clean and then apply Anti-Seize on sliding parts. This will help the pads to move freely and wear evenly. Use a very thin layer. This is not a product where a little is good and more is better. This is a case of a little is good and more is not good.
    AntiSeize.jpg

Once installed. I recommend 'Bedding In' your new pad set. This requires that you go from 60 mph to 20 mph as quickly as possible. This needs to be done at least 3 times in quick succession. Do not come to a complete stop. You should start smelling hot brakes. This means that the brakes are getting hot enough to cure the resin which is used to bind the friction material. This curing process prepares the brakes and will not only make them stop better. But will also reduce squealing. This can also be tried as a cure for squealing brakes.

Be sure to do this on a clean and dry stretch of roadway, free of traffic and long enough to accomplish the task without having to stop.

Once you've completed these 3 consecutive hard stops. Ride at least 5 minutes with little or no braking to let the brake components cool evenly. If you stop with hot brakes. The very hot pads are clamping on a small portion of a very hot rotor. Which can cause warpage. Riding for 5 minutes with little or no breaking will prevent this.

Like Mike says! "Good Luck!"
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-04-2022 at 02:44 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There are several things you can do to reduce squealing. Which, as mentioned, is a high frequency vibration. Pictures are meant to be representative of the advised action only. They are not Spyder or Ryker pad sets.

Bevel the leading edge with a file. I don't recommend filing the trailing edge. You don't back up that much and filing both leading and trailing edges will reduce pad contact more than necessary. Pads come with both edges beveled because they don't know which way you are going to install them and they want to be sure the leading edge is tapered. If you're doing the install yourself. You can end up with a better job by just doing the leading edge.
    Brake.png

Cut 1 or 2 lines in the pads. This removes very little material. This squeegees the rotor helping it to stay free of brake dust. Another reason for squealing. It will also help to shed water. But this is not really a problem with disk brakes. Personally, I prefer 2 diagonal lines cut. But I cannot say that this is any better than the other approaches. I use a hack saw. Do not cut all the way through the pad. Leave a little meat at the bottom of the pad.
    Brake2.jpg

Coat the back of the pad with a thick layer of Anti-Squeal gel. This gel absorbs vibration. Vibration builds on itself. If you can prevent it in the first place, it should solve your squeal issues. You want to put it on fairly thick and let it dry for a bit. Giving it time to set up before installiation.
    Brake3.jpg

Clean and then apply Anti-Seize on sliding parts. This will help the pads to move freely and wear evenly. Use a very thin layer. This is not a product where a little is good and more is better. This is a case of a little is good and more is not good.
    AntiSeize.jpg

Once installed. I recommend 'Bedding In' your new pad set. This requires that you go from 60 mph to 20 mph as quickly as possible. This needs to be done at least 3 times in quick succession. Do not come to a complete stop. You should start smelling hot brakes. This means that the brakes are getting hot enough to cure the resin which is used to bind the friction material. This curing process prepares the brakes and will not only make them stop better. But will also reduce squealing. This can also be tried as a cure for squealing brakes.

Be sure to do this on a clean and dry stretch of roadway, free of traffic and long enough to accomplish the task without having to stop.

Once you've completed these 3 consecutive hard stops. Ride at least 5 minutes with little or no braking to let the brake components cool evenly. If you stop with hot brakes. The very hot pads are clamping on a small portion of a very hot rotor. Which can cause warpage. Riding for 5 minutes with little or no breaking will prevent this.

Like Mike says! "Good Luck!"
    with Ron's advice especially the BEDDIND-IN process .... I buy my EBC pads from Ron ..and IMHO they / He are the best ..... I tried to cut a line using a thin ROWTER (?) cutting tool .... BAD idea , the sintered pads ruined that tool very quickly ..... not deterred, I then usd a very thin ( 1mm ) cutting wheel on my angle grinder .... I clamped a piece of wood ( as a spacer ) to the pad and that worked .... I only made one Diagonal cut on each pad ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-05-2022 at 01:18 AM.

Spyder Garage

Cut off wheel on a Dremel tool works real good for the cuts
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hack Saw

YES, a lot of good Tips.
    I have used a hack saw and it was very doable for me.
    If you don't know what you are doing, then let the 'Pros do it'.

Brakes are a Safety Issue. ...... : )
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron, I knew you would jump in, great pic's and good advice, worked for me!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Please wear a mask when cutting up brake pads. Cleanup with a HEPA filter vacuum or wash everything down. No, they won't give you Covid, but...
    They can contain silicates, copper fibers, toxic metals and lots of other nasty things to breath in. No longer asbestos, but generating fine dust from all the materials in different types of pads such as metallic or ceramic is not something you want to inhale.
    Good idea to wash your hands and launder your clothes after cutting them up. Reading the materials data sheet for them shows what's in some of these things.
    You mileage may vary of course.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

If the squealing just started, be sure the brakes are clean. I was on a gravel road in Colorado and my brakes were so loud I thought I would have to get them replaced before I continued my trip. Based on advice from this forum, I gave my bike and brakes a good cleaning and the noise stopped. Never did have to replace my brakes.