Spyder Garage

Default Back in the saddle again... any advice on yr/model/issues to avoid?

Hi,

It's been 8 years since my last Spyder and am thinking now's the time to get back on the road. I've had three 2-wheelers since then but have always had a good experience with Spyders, and with winter over in another 3 months or so, cabin fever is making me think about wanting to ride.

My strong reference is for another RT, and probably a used one since I cannot justify the price of a new one. I'd appreciate any advice on years/models/issues to avoid or at least watch out for when I start looking.

Ride safe,
    Rod
    Last edited by RodO; 02-01-2022 at 08:06 PM.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RodO View Post
    Hi,

It's been 8 years since my last Spyder and am thinking now's the time to get back on the road. I've had three 2-wheelers since then but have always had a good experience with Spyders, and with winter over in another 3 months or so, cabin fever is making me think about wanting to ride.

My strong reference is for another RT, and probably a used one since I cannot justify the price of a new one. I'd appreciate any advice on years/models/issues to avoid or at least watch for when I start looking.

Ride safe,
    Rod
    I have a 14 basic RT - SE trans..... this will be my last Spyder ..... I might up-grade to a LOW mileage Spyder ( RT or F-3 ) a 15,16, or 17 ONLY ..... the Audio system was Ruined by BRP in 2018 ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Good to know about the audio... thanks!
    I should get some advice from you on good back-road rides since I'm back in the east now and just a bit north of you.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RodO View Post
    Good to know about the audio... thanks!
    I should get some advice from you on good back-road rides since I'm back in the east now and just a bit north of you.
    Well I feel blessed about the topography in my general area ...... and if you ever want to come down and visit for a spell ( if Trudeau will let you out ) ..... PM me .... I have always had an open door / welcome mat out for fellow Spyderlovers..... Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RTL

Check out my favorite Spyder 2016 RT Limited. It has been a good experience. Lots of 'Wind Therapy' rydes times.
    Good Luck with whatever you decide. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From what I know now if I were to purchase again I'd follow BK's advice for certain. There are lots of good buys out there in the second hand market. Lots of low mileage RT's. Check out all the sites from SL's to Facebook, Craig's list and more. Negotiate a price and drive or fly to get it. Good luck and don't forget your helmet. May even have it shipped home. Personally, I'd ride it home.

Spyder Garage

I'd love to ride it home but we've another few months of winter here in the Great White North... but yes, I'm looking wide and far for the right one.
    Thanks!

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

Spyder Garage

You are locate in the correct province to find good deals. Many Spyder owners in the province and they are always looking for the latest model, so they are usually selling their 2 or 3 year old Spyders for a decent price.

Check on Autotraders.ca
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

Thanks -- and yes, there are many more available here than I was used to seeing in the West -- and lots of high-mileage ones so people are using them! There are three lower mileage RTLs near me that I've got my eye on...

Something else I'm looking at sooner-than-later is to ride in the Maritimes -- any advice you can offer is appreciated. From my former home base in Saskatoon, I've been as far west as Vancouver, and out to Montreal in 2011 as as far south as Durango for the Spyder meet in 2012, but never yet further east.

Thanks,
    Rod

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

Spyder Garage

We have both an RT and F3. The RT is the sit up, knees kinda bent version. The F3 lets me stretch out legs. The 1330 (2015+) motor is really low maintenance especially if you do the work yourself. The only thing I can't do is get the latest software on my new Spyder unless I pay the dealer. Be sure to get hand warmers. I really do like the new BRP display, even though it can still be a pain once in a while, likes to not connect sometimes.