Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Are Used prices incredibly high right now?

I have been considering selling my ryker for a while and buying a F3s or F3T for longer rides and multi-day trips. Its not going to happen for a while at least until i get some stability in the job front BUT that doesnt stop me from looking around and dreaming.

Lately it seems that used prices are incredibly high. I dont know if it has to do with demand or if people are just trying to get out from under loans, or if dealers inventory is low which drives up the price for used spyders or if its a combination of these things. But I regularly see 2015 or 2016 base f3 for $15-17K. I even saw a 2020 base f3 that someone was asking $22k, The price of a new 2022 base F3 is $15,900. A local to me dealer even has a 2016 sts for nearly $18k. Is this all do to the reasons I listed before? Is anyone else experiencing used market prices like this.

Sorry to write a complaining post. I just can’t afford to buy new but used prices are equal to or higher than new.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Same with used cars.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Same with used cars.
    And car rentals and hotels and ......

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is what it is.

"I complained I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet"
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Supply and demand and a lot of people looking for new hobbies in the world of COVID. Spyders are starting to be looked at as a pretty easy entry point for people thinking about a motorcycle-type experience..

There are deals out there private party still but you have to dig for them and be ready to move immediately when you find one (hence why I drove down to Des Moines, IA in the snow last weekend)
    2021 Spyder F3-T - Pearl White
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My expense for fuel for a day's ride exceeds what I paid last year for fuel AND lunch combined..... Jim
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-01-2022 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Removed political point
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

AEB8FCC4-5256-44F1-B079-67A740F5A01B.jpg

I get that everything is more expensive now inflation gas covid blah blah.. but here is an example its a base 2019 with no accessories and they are asking $22500 thats $6500 more than a new base f3. I just don’t know what I am missing.
    Last edited by delkhouri; 02-01-2022 at 02:08 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool The ride is there if you really want it

delkhouri -- if you have the skills, tools and flat spot you can get some great deals on 50K+ miles RTs and F3. Budget $3K for establishing a maintenance baseline for everything (including suspension) and if the total afterwards is less than that Great!

For instance, One Legged Willie has a 2014 RT-L 107K miles for $7.2K that I'm sure has been well cared for. So you're looking at $10.2K for an essentially fresh machine.

My experience: 2014 RT-S 77K miles (I'm 3rd owner and couldn't talk to or get service records from 1st owner) for $9K including an RT-622 trailer in January 2021. I've spent $3K to establish the maintenance baseline (I've spent more on farkles of course). And it's been more trustworthy than my new 2019 Moto Guzzi V7 III (which I kicked out of the barn).

But if you can't do the work yourself, then Yep you're going to be riding that Ryker for a while. On the other hand, my wife and I rode my Honda CB750 from San Diego to Victoria, BC and back. And then there's this https://www.rideapart.com/news/51828...ne-california/
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    delkhouri -- if you have the skills, tools and flat spot you can get some great deals on 50K+ miles RTs and F3. Budget $3K for establishing a maintenance baseline for everything (including suspension) and if the total afterwards is less than that Great!

For instance, One Legged Willie has a 2014 RT-L 107K miles for $7.2K that I'm sure has been well cared for. So you're looking at $10.2K for an essentially fresh machine.

My experience: 2014 RT-S 77K miles (I'm 3rd owner and couldn't talk to or get service records from 1st owner) for $9K including an RT-622 trailer in January 2021. I've spent $3K to establish the maintenance baseline (I've spent more on farkles of course). And it's been more trustworthy than my new 2019 Moto Guzzi V7 III (which I kicked out of the barn).

But if you can't do the work yourself, then Yep you're going to be riding that Ryker for a while. On the other hand, my wife and I rode my Honda CB750 from San Diego to Victoria, BC and back. And then there's this https://www.rideapart.com/news/51828...ne-california/
    Thanks for the rec. I don’t like the seating position of the older rt’s and I havent sat on a the 2020+rt. I have been looking for a while and have rarely seen high mileage f3s. I recently saw one that has 2018 f3-s with 32k miles on it and if memory serves they wanted $18k. There is also a 2014 st limited in my state with 94k miles on it and they are asking $16K

Spyder Garage

2 things are going on……. First new (toys) have skyrocketed so high in price that people can’t afford them. Heck look at the spyder. My RT was 22K out the door 4 years ago and now its 32K out the door in 4 years? Look at the New SXS starting at $35K with “nothing.” Jet skis at $8K and sleds at 20K stripped down. People want the toys, can’t afford new so are scarfing any used up and as long as its cheaper than new and they’re paying for it. Second, most places can’t keep up with the “new” product so they are forced to buy used. In the sled world, there are guys that paid, ordered and signed for a new sled last March and guess what they still haven’t come in. If you traded as part of your deal, they have have nothing so buying used is the only option since there’s no new ones. Last, people think they have the money and are willing to pay ridiculous costs so that’s why the used market keeps going higher. I for one had one boy move away several years ago and I kept his sled in case future stuff happens. Well I sold a 2009 sled with 5700 miles for $400 less than I paid for it new on 2009. Couldn’t believe it! I actually got more money than I was asking. I had 4 guys call in one day and the last guy I said I had other come and look and he actually hiked the price up and said he’d take it with out looking. It was in pristine condition but come one. Not even look at a 12 year old machine and buy it. ITS A SELLERS MARKET RIGHT NOW! It won’t change till supply catches up and people figure out they don’t have what they think they have and the future bills start to pile Up (faster and faster). Then there will be a flood of used like 12 years ago with toys in 3 years, mark my words! I am sad to say, but the younger generation and even my generation is spending their retirement so fast because they see it in front of them and when they actually get there they will find that its all gone because they spent it on toys they couldn’t afford. WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN. Usually with more force too! In my opinion the ride hasn’t even started yet.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 02-01-2022 at 02:47 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    I have been considering selling my ryker for a while and buying a F3s or F3T for longer rides and multi-day trips. Its not going to happen for a while at least until i get some stability in the job front BUT that doesnt stop me from looking around and dreaming.

Lately it seems that used prices are incredibly high. I dont know if it has to do with demand or if people are just trying to get out from under loans, or if dealers inventory is low which drives up the price for used spyders or if its a combination of these things. But I regularly see 2015 or 2016 base f3 for $15-17K. I even saw a 2020 base f3 that someone was asking $22k, The price of a new 2022 base F3 is $15,900. A local to me dealer even has a 2016 sts for nearly $18k. Is this all do to the reasons I listed before? Is anyone else experiencing used market prices like this.

Sorry to write a complaining post. I just can’t afford to buy new but used prices are equal to or higher than new.
    I refuse to answer your question as half my posts usually get deleted on this forum.

Spyder Garage

Apologies for replying to the off topic post, delkhouri.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider Steve View Post
    I refuse to answer your question as half my posts usually get deleted on this forum.
    IF any of your posts ever get removed from public view, it'll only be because they breach one or more of the Forum Rules, Steve (check the rules out by clicking on the Green Forum Rules link in the menu bar above each thread.) Generally, we (the Mod Team) hope that those transgressing might realise this is why one of their posts has disappeared & revise their posting practices accordingly; so I'm pretty sure that just like everyone else, you've initially been given a fair degree of leeway in your posting and haven't been issued infractions - but if you prefer we can start issuing you an infraction every time you post off topic; make a political comment; insult, flame, or abuse another member; argue with the Mods on the public pages; or otherwise break the Forum Rules! It all comes back to YOU posting in accordance with the Forum Rules!

Now, let's get back to posting on topic - Are Used prices incredibly high right now?

Ps: (& again, apologies for a bit more off-topic... ) Rider Steve, out of the 62 posts in total that you've made on this Forum to date since you returned to posting in Dec 2021, only 2 of your posts have been removed for being off-topic &/or political; 2 more were removed because you posted the same thing 3 times in one minute, and YOU gutted/edited the second 2 of those to reflect that anyway; and YOU gutted the content of another one yourself, making it pointless to leave it there..... So I really don't know where you get off by saying that 'half your posts usually get deleted'?! . Even if we count all of those posts made by you that've been removed for any reason since Dec '21, it only comes to 5 - that's FIVE out of 62 at the time of your post above; and 3 of those were simple housekeeping removals after you had edited/gutted them anyway! . But that's fine, as mentioned above, if you prefer it that way we will now simply issue you with infringements &/or loss of posting privileges for a while as per the Forum Rules instead of extending you the leeway as we have been.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-05-2022 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Checked the numbers!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

With the price going up on used machines, what is your Ryker worth now?
    Maybe that could help offset the cost of new to you Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Short answer? Yes. As are prices on many things.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2019 F3 base in June, 2021. I got the 2 year base warranty and the additional 2 year BEST warranty. I added the Shad saddlebags, BRP backrest, BajaRon sway bar, and had first service in October. I have about 6,500 km on it. I found a new 2021 RT base at a dealer and he wanted $15 k different, plus tax. Another dealer has a new 2020 F3L, and price difference is $18,500 tax in. These prices are Canadian$. One dealer said F3 base models are 'hard to sell'. This is interesting in light of the above posts about resale values of the F3.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the rec. I don’t like the seating position of the older rt’s and I havent sat on a the 2020+rt. I have been looking for a while and have rarely seen high mileage f3s. I recently saw one that has 2018 f3-s with 32k miles on it and if memory serves they wanted $18k. There is also a 2014 st limited in my state with 94k miles on it and they are asking $16K
    Asking prices are artificially high, I think, as some people try to cash in on the panic buying. But, that doesn't mean prices have gone up THAT much across the board necessarily. I think the answer to your original question of whether used Spyder prices are 'ridiculously' high right now is 'maybe'...'it all depends'
    Last edited by UtahPete; 02-01-2022 at 08:35 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I will say that most of my searching has been on cycle trader that is mostly dealers and facebook marketplace where people seem to be trying to get out from under a loan they regret but that second one is just my guess

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will say that most of my searching has been on cycle trader that is mostly dealers and facebook marketplace where people seem to be trying to get out from under a loan they regret but that second one is just my guess
    There's no good reason that should be a price driver now, but not earlier. I'd suggest you spend less energy in figuring out the current market psychology and more on searching out a good deal for yourself. They are out there, if you can be flexible on where, when and how. As mentioned elsewhere, have your financial ducks in a row FIRST!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The prices are asking prices. The problem is that when they get sold we never hear what the driveout price was. Driveout price is the most important thing not asking price. I know some on here will let us know how great a deal they got and show the numbers. But not all.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

delkhouri, go to NADAguides.com and search on something you might like. When you get to the price page click on the option to see Spyders for sale in your general area. This will be a dealers only search but you might find something you like.

To answer your question about high prices the website has a banner at the top with this phrase.

COVID-19 has caused inventory shortages due to increased demand.
    Also, check out craigslist.org. You can search the entire US if you want. There are fraud ads on CL, but also many legitimate ones.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

You want to play, you got to pay!!The whole world is getting crazy, look at the prices of 2nd hand cars, anything it's all the same! Yes, the prices are going up, and in some respects it's our fault, because we keep buying! It's a catch 22, supply and demand, as long as there able to get them sold, they will keep jacking the prices up! I was raised to be a horse trader, and I love to ask the hard question, will you come down on your price, sometimes it works, sometimes I walk away!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Spring is coming...

delkhouri -- I'm not sure what you're looking for.
    Two of the fourteen under $15K F3s I identified in my Cycle Trader link were Private. Are you saying you need a Private seller? What are your criteria?
    I have been considering selling my ryker for a while and buying a F3s or F3T for longer rides and multi-day trips.
    Spring is on it way and I'd choose riding what I have over looking for a better ride; overall riding is a better investment than bank payments.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    delkhouri -- I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Two of the fourteen under $15K F3s I identified in my Cycle Trader link were Private. Are you saying you need a Private seller? What are your criteria?

Spring is on it way and I'd choose riding what I have over looking for a better ride; overall riding is a better investment than bank payments.
    Overall, I am just exploring the idea of selling my ryker and getting something a little bigger with a bigger smoother more fuel efficient engine (and no cvt) that is more comfortable for long trips. I can’t ride right now because its winter in ohio so im researching options. As i have started my search i was just dumbfounded by all the ads i see for 2015 or 2016 base model f3 for $15-17K and I just didnt understand why that was the case when i can go to a dealer and get a brand new one for that price. Many dealers have 2021 base f3 in stock and i just didnt know why used ones are being sold for the same amount.

Spyder Garage

Many dealers have 2021 base f3 in stock and i just didn't know why used ones are being sold for the same amount.
    Are you basing that off actually seeing them in stock or web searches? Every dealer I have been in lately has zip in stock.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange