Spyder Garage

Default Looking to buy - is Limp Mode really a problem?

Good day,
    I am new to the spyder world and looking to buy one.
    I keep hearing/reading about the limp mode problems with these.
    Are they really that problematic? Which years/models are the most dependable? I don't mind wrenching but I do mind more wrenching than riding.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, BTW I will be buying a used one. Any suggestions as to what to look out for would ok be greatly appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

TLI: Used WHAT?
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I had a 2011 RT that went into limp mode once due to an issue with the throttle bodies. It was a known issue and fixed under warranty. My 2017 RTL has over 30k on it and has never had an issue.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Truittm View Post
    Good day,
    I am new to the spyder world and looking to buy one.
    I keep hearing/reading about the limp mode problems with these.
    Are they really that problematic? Which years/models are the most dependable? I don't mind wrenching but I do mind more wrenching than riding.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, BTW I will be buying a used one. Any suggestions as to what to look out for would ok be greatly appreciated.
    I've owned three Spyder a GG , an RSS and a 14 RT ..... the GS went into LIMP mode once .... it was 99 degree's ....it actually cleared itself after it cooled down and was fine after that ... over 100,000 mi and only once ....that to me is not a problem ..... JMHO ....Mike

Spyder Garage

The brake light switch on my 2020 RT with about 9K miles went into limp mode suddenly when I was pulling out onto a very busy 4 lane highway where I had to accelerate hard to merge with the rush hour traffic. I suddenly had a dramatic loss of power before I was fully merged and it was a "hairy" moment or two before I realized what happened and luckily the guy behind me was paying attention. Until I figured out the problem (with the help of this forum) and changed out the switch, it would go into limp mode on every ride and several times per ride.

I had 1 car go into limp mode and that was back in 1986 and I have probably logged several hundred thousand miles on various cars and motorcycles since then.

I will say though that it is not just Can Am 3 wheelers that have complaints about limp mode - just take a look at some of the motorcycle forums where there are complaints about it happening to them on the freeway at 80+ mph in heavy traffic. A sudden lose of power on a motorcycle or 3 wheeler can be a very dangerous situation but I guess it is a trade off because a critical part failure could be catastrophic. In my case, having no rear brake lights could have been a very bad situation, especially after dark.

My opinion, it is neither right nor wrong.
    Last edited by WilcoJunoHotel; 01-30-2022 at 10:44 AM.
    Sold: 2020RT base with numerous improvements and farkles
    Previous 2 wheels: 3 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha and 1 Husqvarna

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RTL with 60K miles. When a speed sensor failed, the display read limp mode but surprisingly, I maintained speed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is usually a bad apple in every orchard, autos have there lemons, any mechanical devise can have its problems. Can Am Spyders are no different. Limp Mode is a warning devise warning the driver a problem could be present. "HEED the WARNING". BRP has its recalls just like Ford, GM, Honda, etc. JMHO....Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

2015 RTL, 35,000 miles, and not 1 limp mode, or code thrown
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As Knizar said, it's a warning feature. With some limp mode displays, you can continue to operate your spyder and with others, you can't. Most of them are "limp home at 45 mph." There's a read-out sequence you can enter and a code number will display the reason for the limp mode. Most all code numbers throughout the automotive industry are the same but because you have a spyder some are unique to your machine. Somewhere in this sight, there's a list of code numbers and how you can retrieve them, and what they all mean. Do a search and you'll find them all. Good luck. Some are an easy fix and some are not.

Spyder Garage

Seven Spyders and almost 200,000 miles. I have not experienced limp mode problrems. I would say limp mode CAN happen, BUT, not a problem I would worry about.

When buying, do some due dilligence. Ask a dealer to run the VIN # and give you the mechanical history. That will let you know if your particular unit is problematic.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

good advice.
    thanks for all the input.

Spyder Garage

Rode a 2018 Spyder F3L with a low battery. Boosted to start, let idle for 15/20 minutes to put a bit of charge in the battery. 1/4 mile down the road and goes into limp mode. New battery, all is well. These Spyders are power hungry and need a good battery.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest