Spyder Garage

Default Can I change the Transmission Filter without dumping the oil?

I have a 2019 RT Limited SE6. Can I change the transmission filter without dumping the oil? The Tran filter is due to be changed but I don’t need an oil change yet. Also what service interval do you use?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dg110270 View Post
    I have a 2019 RT Limited SE6. Can I change the transmission filter without dumping the oil? The Tran filter is due to be changed but I don’t need an oil change yet. Also what service interval do you use?
    You can......if you want to go through the bother of carefully measuring the amount of oil drained while performing the task. then adding new oil to replace the oil drained.
    **** I believe it would be best to wait for oil change time to do it.......the shop manual gives you the specific amount to add when changing the filter while doing an oil change.
    Follow the manufacturers recommendations .
    Last edited by bikerchris1270; 01-30-2022 at 09:40 AM.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How long until the oil change? I'd say if it's less than 5000 to 7000 wait until then to change the trans filter.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Here's my experience

I purchased my 2014 RT-S SE6 77K miles as 3rd owner and didn't have access to service history so established maintenance baseline for everything.

The 1330cc engine is dry sump when running with the sump refilling slowly after shutoff.

I back the Spyder's front wheels up car ramps which provides easier access. The first oil change was part of a larger service and exploration of a new machine so the Spyder was on the ramps for about a week before I did the oil change. I drained the sump, removed the engine oil filter and then the HCM filter. Very little fluid came out of the HCM filter. The next two oil changes (I've done three in 8K miles finding the right oil -- Motul 7100 15W50) I changed the oil the same day I put the Spyder on the ramps -- about 8 oz of fluid came out.

YMMV.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wait until the next oil change. It's not a mess but it's that dam little screw at the bottom next to the frame I believe that is a PITS to get out. Once you get the cover off and have the filter in your hand you are going to wonder what the he!! is this going to filter? Well, it's simply a chunk catcher and for the price, I guess it's worth it. I kept my old one because it looked exactly like the new one. No debris and no chunks no nothing. So, if I ever need one I have an extra, the original one. Why, because it looks exactly like a new one. My spyder is a 2014 RTS SE6 so I'm sure your 19 is the same.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Wait until the next oil change. It's not a mess but it's that dam little screw at the bottom next to the frame I believe that is a PITS to get out. Once you get the cover off and have the filter in your hand you are going to wonder what the he!! is this going to filter? Well, it's simply a chunk catcher and for the price, I guess it's worth it. I kept my old one because it looked exactly like the new one. No debris and no chunks no nothing. So, if I ever need one I have an extra, the original one. Why, because it looks exactly like a new one. My spyder is a 2014 RTS SE6 so I'm sure your 19 is the same.
    .... IO did mine a few years back and felt the same way ..... I'm about to change it again and this will in all likely hood be the last time. .... I will only CLEAN the filter, and put it back ..... JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... IO did mine a few years back and felt the same way ..... I'm about to change it again and this will in all likely hood be the last time. .... I will only CLEAN the filter, and put it back ..... JMHO .... Mike
    Yea me too. After seeing that thing and surmising what its purpose is, gives me the willies.

Spyder Garage

My next oil change is at 30,950. Can I wait till then to change Tran filter for the first time?
    Last edited by dg110270; 02-01-2022 at 06:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thank

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My next oil change is at 30,950. Can I wait till then to change Tran filter for the first time?
    I would.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

this is asked in pure ignorance; Aren't you supposed to change filters each time you change oil on Rotex engines?
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

If its anything like my 2014...I was in the same spot...needed to change the trans filter but not do the almost $80 oil change...thought
    I would just pop it off, clean up maybe a dribble of oil...put the new one on and poof...well..........that dribble turned out to be a huge pool
    on the garage floor.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post
    this is asked in pure ignorance; Aren't you supposed to change filters each time you change oil on Rotex engines?
    the oil filter is different than the transmission filter. its on same side, but down lower and more in front of round filter. its a flat type filter that filters oil thru the transmission for shifting. i changed mine at 30,000 miles with oil change. supposed to be 28,000 and every 28,000. close enough
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post
    Not on the 1330 engines! The Rotax 1330 ACE engine is one of the best they have introduced. It does not use oil. It has longer service intervals than the V-twins. The best thing a new owner can do is memorize the maintenance schedule that appears in the operator's guide. One can change the fluids more frequently than the maintenance schedule if one chooses, but it's a waste of $$ IMNSHO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Ya gotta Check Valve

And here's the reason for your huge pool "Check valve prevents draining of engine oil from oil tank into engine clutch side when engine is OFF."
    HCM Components.jpg
    The first time I changed the HCM filter the Spyder had been on ramps for a week as I explored my new machine. Very little oil came out of the filter when I removed it. The next two times I removed the filter the same day as I put the Spyder on ramps and I too had a huge pool.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike