Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Gasoline question - will Regular harm the Spyder?

Owner manual pg 53 says prem gas 91 pump posted octane
    pg 164 says "recommend" use: Prem 91 and says "minumum": 87 reg.

So if I use Regular is it going to screw up the bike? No offense: looking for some one that knows for sure (like a mechanic), Not other rider's "opinions or preferences" Thank you
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post

So if I use Regular is it going to screw up the bike? No offense: looking for some one that knows for sure (like a mechanic), Not other rider's "opinions or preferences" Thank you
    I have the same question.

I know a lot of folks on here swear by the lower octane, saying it hasn't caused any issues for them, but really - how would they know? The higher octane is strictly to prevent knocking and pinging (i.e. premature combustion) which can cause damage over the long term to the combustion chamber parts of high-compression engines.

I'm willing to pay more for high octane fuel for the peace of mind. When it's not available I'll use the 87 (even 86 when that's all there is) but not more than a tank full.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

We fortunate to have many petroleum and powersports engineers on this forum. I'm sure they will provide a technical answer.

Personally, I use ethanol-free unleaded.
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

I use the highest octane ethanol-free fuel I can find. Generally, 90 or 91 octane. I saw an excellent demo on the harmful impacts of ethanol - E10, or gasoline with up to 10% ethanol is not an ideal fuel for motorcycles or small engine machines. Ethanol fuel has a shorter shelf life, leads to higher carbon buildup, gums up carburetors, and eats away at rubber parts faster than ethanol-free fuel. Ethanol is not near as bad for fuel-injected vehicles as it is for carbureted vehicles however - the high-pressure fuel injection system pushes out any clogs that might start to build up in the injectors. That said, ethanol can set up if left for longer periods of time to a gel like substance. Studies have shown that, compared to ethanol free fuel, ethanol fuel provides for worse gas mileage (by a couple of percent). Last, Ethanol LOVES water! Gasoline isn’t water soluble, but ethanol is. So not only can ethanol pick up water from the air, it can pick up other contaminants as well. Once the alcohol in gasoline has picked up enough water (and contaminants) you can get phase separation. Bad for vehicles that are stored or not used as frequently. So there is my rant on ethanol. Higher compression engines can experience "knocking" easier than lower compression vehicles. And knocking is bad. I know running higher octane than needed is just a waste of money - but the cost of preignition damage could be considerable - so is higher octane just cheap insurance? I'm still interested in the octane discussion
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

High octane fuel burns slower to avoid pinging, which may reduce MPG.
    However, if lower octane triggers the knock sensor, resulting in less timing advance, fuel economy would likely be less.
    Without a knock sensor, best to use the higher octane.
    With a knock sensor, there is the option of trying both to compare performance and fuel economy.
    At higher elevations, less octane is required.
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 01-29-2022 at 04:49 PM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

So if I used gas with 10% ethenol, water could collect in the tank. For years, I've dumped in a bottle of STP gas treatment, like once a month for keeping engine cleaner and it removes water like fuel line freeze up.

So I should try running a tank of unleaded regular (seems every station uses 10% ethenol) and listen for engine knocking. If knocking, move up to midrange (if available) or Premium if I have to.

The way gas prices are going, I may have to start walking
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

The OP has stated the following:

Not other rider's "opinions or preferences" Thank you. He wants mechanics and experts to answer this one.

Let's keep the comments to what the OP wants.

Many chances to get into a flaming gas war here. I am not going to reply to the question.

I just know what I do and it works for me. Been a Spyder owner since they came out (2008), and owned a total of seven. Almost 200,000 Spyder miles. What I do works for me. Have not had a spyder blow up or disintegrate, or need major engine repairs. I am going to keep on doing what I do. PS. I don't follow the manual(s).
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-30-2022 at 02:33 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Service Manual says...

In the Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) Subsection:

KNOCK SENSOR (KS)

This [1330cc] engine is equipped with one knock sensor (KS1) that measures the amount of noise generated by the engine.

If an abnormally high amount of noise is measured, the ECM perceives this as a KNOCK condition and adjusts ignition timing by retarding it to correct the situation.

If, with the engine running under load above 4000 RPM, the ECM receives no knock sensor signal,
    or receives a knock sensor signal representing an engine noise level below a calibrated threshold, it perceives this as a knock sensor fault and sets a knock sensor fault code [P0327, P0328, P032A, P1327, P1328].
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Default Fwiw

So if I used gas with 10% ethenol, water could collect in the tank. For years, I've dumped in a bottle of STP gas treatment, like once a month for keeping engine cleaner and it removes water like fuel line freeze up.

So I should try running a tank of unleaded regular (seems every station uses 10% ethenol) and listen for engine knocking. If knocking, move up to midrange (if available) or Premium if I have to.

The way gas prices are going, I may have to start walking
    I’m riding 8,000 - 12,000 miles a year in Wisconsin, mostly two up. I started on a 2009 RT, which morphed into a 2017 F-3, which was replaced in 2020 by an RTL. NONE of those bikes ever had anything in the tank but regular gasoline, and none of them had any performance problems at all with it. When the F-3 had the plugs changed at 30,000 miles, they looked brand new. The mechanic at the dealership thought it was a waste of money. So is paying for premium gas.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    In the Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) Subsection:
    That quote is a mouthful for us non-enginners. In plain English, please?

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thought I kept it simple in post 5
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it means the 1330 engine is equipped with a knock sensor to protect the engine from damage by retarding the spark, thereby eliminating the pre-ignition.

In other words, it should be safe to use 97 octane if that's what you want to do, but you may experience a loss of performance.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 01-29-2022 at 05:46 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb The Rotax 1330cc engine protects itself ... and you

The Rotax 1330cc engine was designed by a proven, experienced team and the supporting electronics were sourced from similar teams (primarily Bosch). There is an extensive suite of sensors and actuators governing powertrain operations that are monitored at Key-On, Engine-Start, Engine-Running Open Loop (cold or WOT), and Engine-Running Closed Loop (most of the time). Your Spyder is always watching you.

BRP chose this expensive approach so they could offer a safe 3-wheel experience for a wide range of rider driving skills and motion-range abilities.

IMO the choice of throttle-by-wire highlights the guiding design criteria that ensure both safe engine operation and safe rider operation.

A knock sensor is an acoustically-tuned device (think sonar transducer) mechanically coupled to the engine that provides a complex electrical signal the engine control unit interprets as proper or improper (eg, pre-ignition) combustion. Knock sensors have been part of engine management from the early fuel injection days. They are mature technology.

Standing by for more questions.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations……….
    Premium fuel is usually a TOP Tier 1 fuel….meaning it has the fuel additives to keep injectors clean, intake valves cleaner.
    87 octane…….not always.
    Also, premium has a lower fuel vapor pressure,(meaning less fuel vaporizes at 100degrees) which helps with hot soak restarts.
    Last edited by bikerchris1270; 01-29-2022 at 06:55 PM.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's is my take on the question.

I've used regular exclusively now for 4 or 5 years and have not experienced any issues.

If there is knocking you probably won't hear it, but the sensor will detect it and adjust the engine as needed.

The engine is undoubtedly designed and manufactured so smoothly inside the combustion chamber there are no hot spots to ignite the air/fuel mixture prematurely. Compression, in and of itself, does not cause premature ignition. The engine burns the fuel so efficiently there have been no reports on here of carbon buildup causing pre-ignition.

To date no one has reported seeing the internals of an engine that was run primarily on regular. So even though none of us has experienced engine damage from regular, neither can any of us verify by our own observation what, if any, effect regular has had on the engine internals.

Anecdotal evidence shows there is no problem. Scientific evidence does not exist in the hands of owners, and Rotax isn't talking.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    In other words, it should be safe to use 97 octane if that's what you want to do, but you may experience a loss of performance.
    Remember my post of a few years ago showing my mpg for the summer, and the poll asking members to guess when I used regular and premium? My mpg was good enough not one member guessed the correct option that I had run regular exclusively all summer.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

Anecdotal evidence shows there is no problem. Scientific evidence does not exist in the hands of owners, and Rotax isn't talking.
    Well, Rotax actually IS talking!

For the US, they "recommend" Prem 91 and specify a "minumum" of 87 Reg.

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-29-2022 at 06:27 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Yes I'm not directly answering your original question

Bill -- while gasoline is a fraction (by weight) of the fuel our engines combust, it is the fraction that we can exercise the most quality and price control over. Because our Rotax engines essentially protect themselves, your choice should be guided by the same methods used for other consumables (eg, lettuce, beer, toilet paper, etc). They are, in no particular order:

1. Trustworthiness of the supplier
    2. Price you are willing or able to pay
    3. Rate of consumption including vehicle storage conditions (gasoline gets old just like lettuce does) which may call for additives
    4. Driving conditions (vehicle gross weight, speed, terrain, temperature/humidity)

Generally #4 is the most concern for octane selection. If you are running your Spyder with heavy loads (2-up, trailer); above posted speeds; repeated hills and mountains; and in high temperatures with low humidity then a higher octane gasoline should be used.

And that's as far as I'm going to walk on this plank.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 01-29-2022 at 06:27 PM. Reason: grammer corrections

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel

Use what they say in the operating manual. Mine said 91 or better. I use 93.

Your Spyder so you can decide. Or go with the manufacturer fuel recommended. ....
    Last edited by Little Blue; 01-29-2022 at 06:52 PM.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Well, Rotax actually IS talking!

For the US, they "recommend" Prem 91 and specify a "minumum" of 87 Reg.

Just Sayin'
    What I meant is that Rotax is not saying what can or will actually happen in the engine if regular is used all the time. I don't think they have ever publicized the rational behind recommending premium but giving a nod to regular. Also, they have never said, that I know of, what percentage of fuel used in a Rotax can be regular without adverse effects. I'd like to think they have good rationale for recommending premium, but they sure haven't told us what it is. Maybe regular would be OK but if they were to say so they would probably be lambasted by the entire gasoline engine industry, and have no desire to deal with that. Maybe the reason they haven't shared their rationale is their comments would just stir up a greater word war!

BTW, I have always run regular in my cars for which premium was recommended. Nary a problem in over 35 years!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think it means the 1330 engine is equipped with a knock sensor to protect the engine from damage by retarding the spark, thereby eliminating the pre-ignition.

" 97 octane " ...??????? .....typo ???? ................Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Bill -- while gasoline is a fraction (by weight) of the fuel our engines combust, it is the fraction that we can exercise the most quality and price control over. Because our Rotax engines essentially protect themselves, your choice should be guided by the same methods used for other consumables (eg, lettuce, beer, toilet paper, etc). They are, in no particular order:

1. Trustworthiness of the supplier
    2. Price you are willing or able to pay
    3. Rate of consumption including vehicle storage conditions (gasoline gets old just like lettuce does) which may call for additives
    4. Driving conditions (vehicle gross weight, speed, terrain, temperature/humidity)

Generally #4 is the most concern for octane selection. If you are running your Spyder with heavy loads (2-up, trailer); above posted speeds; repeated hills and mountains; and in high temperatures with low humidity then a higher octane gasoline should be used.

And that's as far as I'm going to walk on this plank.
    ... #4.- My best friend , a master mechanic, was asked by me about using reg. or premium gas ..... He tested my 14RT, and said - - use regular , UNLESS you are in the mountains, with long steep up-hills, and are towing a loaded trailer and a passenger that is obese, .... then use premium ......PERIOD ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm a bottom line type guy.
    Premium fuel generally runs about 10 cents a gallon over midgrade and 15 - 20 over the base.

Lets say the Spyder gets 30 miles per gallon.
    Over 100,000 miles - you will burn 3333 1/3 gallons of fuel.
    Premium will cost you an additional $333 to $666 over that 100k miles. Or for most riders a savings of a whole $25 to $40 a year. So on your $30,000 bike - you decide.
    Ill be running premium in mine.

Spyder Garage

The Rotax is a very sophisticated machine, but is also designed to drive all over the world, even in places where premium fuels don't even exist, I am all for using premium fuel, but it won't harm the machine, if you use regular fuel.

If you are a spirited driver, you will notice the difference between fuels, but it will show at the top end, of perfomance, so when cruising, use regular, when loading the motor (2up/ hills/ elevation,) a premium fuel is better.

But again, this is all personal preference, I always use premium fuels, for peace of mind, and I am a spirited driver..
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Always best to follow your manufacturers approved data.
    Last edited by PMK; 01-31-2022 at 06:21 PM.