Spyder Garage

Default Need clarification on Parts required for Trailer Control Module - 2022 RT-L

I purchased a new 2022 rt limited from Imotorsports and am a little confused on what is required for the trailer. I was under the impression there was the hitch and a control module. The hitch is straight forward and I am taking the current hitch off of my 2014 to install on new spyder. I was also planning to remove the control module but when I saw the new ones were only priced in the $45 range I asked Imotorsports for a price to just buy a new one and install prior to shipping. They quoted me $399 for the parts and 1.25 in labor. The labor seems reasonable, but I don’t know what the $399 is for. Is there an additional part needed above the control module, and not the hitch, that I am unaware of? Any information appreciated as always.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did your part numbers match their part numbers?

If they didn't then you can't make a direct comparison.

If they did then find someone who will install the parts you provide.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Was looking to know if there are more than just the
    Control module and hitch involved. I haven’t asked for a part list yet from Imotorsports.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I purchased a new 2022 rt limited from Imotorsports and am a little confused on what is required for the trailer. I was under the impression there was the hitch and a control module. The hitch is straight forward and I am taking the current hitch off of my 2014 to install on new spyder. I was also planning to remove the control module but when I saw the new ones were only priced in the $45 range I asked Imotorsports for a price to just buy a new one and install prior to shipping. They quoted me $399 for the parts and 1.25 in labor. The labor seems reasonable, but I don’t know what the $399 is for. Is there an additional part needed above the control module, and not the hitch, that I am unaware of? Any information appreciated as always.
    IMHO you only need a Hitch & a Wiring harness ..... What do you think / know what that " control module " does ????? ...... Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 trailer hitch

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    P4 Module Harness 710006904 1
    P5 LCM Connection Module 710006905 1

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks like $399 is a bargain as the parts seem to be Unobtainium https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1513763
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Unless something has changed on the 22's check the hitch part numbers too. My hitch from my 2015 RTL would not work on my 2020 RTL, and neither would the harness. Had to buy them all over again.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I received a great email from the parts manager at iMotorsports today with the parts breakdown and pricing. It was exactly what I was looking for and asked them to go ahead and place the order for the Module Harness 710006904 & LCM Connection Module 710006905 as noted in the above post. Been very impressed with the responses and dealings so far with iMotorsports. Very easy to deal with and the follow up has been great.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO you only need a Hitch & a Wiring harness ..... What do you think / know what that " control module " does ????? ...... Mike
    If its the same as the control module for the 18 and prior it:
    • Disables the cruise control when the trailer is connected,
    • ...bugger I forgot the last two = brainfart
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Why would the cruise control be disabled? I have a 2014 RTL with the 622 trailer and cruise works fine.

Spyder Garage

I've had a BRP hitch on all four of my Spyders and the cruise control was never disabled when my trailer was being towed. Even on my '13 RT Limited with trailer mode.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Same here, current 2014 rts cruise works fine with trailer hooked up.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    Why would the cruise control be disabled? I have a 2014 RTL with the 622 trailer and cruise works fine.
    I never used the BRP one to know, I cut the ends off and used a different one. The 11 pages of documentation that came with the OEM unit listed the thing/s I mentioned. Perhaps it was only for Australian or O\seas models
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Unless something has changed on the 22's check the hitch part numbers too. My hitch from my 2015 RTL would not work on my 2020 RTL, and neither would the harness. Had to buy them all over again.
    Something wrong here as the hitch from our 2014 RTL is mounted on our 2021 Sea to sky.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-29-2022 at 04:40 PM. Reason: 2024?? ;-)
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The control module is what we have generally referred to as the trailer wiring isolator. Another case of a translation casualty in the Spyder documentation where technical writers who are primarily French speaking are not intimately familiar with English product names and definitions.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Not so. The primary purpose of the control module is to isolate the trailer wiring from the bike wiring so a short or other issue will not affect the bike electronics and wiring. Also it enables supplying the needed current for the trailer without adding significant, and possibly harmful, electrical load on the bike brake/turn/tail system.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Not so. The primary purpose of the control module is to isolate the trailer wiring from the bike wiring so a short or other issue will not affect the bike electronics and wiring. Also it enables supplying the needed current for the trailer without adding significant, and possibly harmful, electrical load on the bike brake/turn/tail system.
    Accordiong to the doco that came with it did.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-29-2022 at 11:32 PM. Reason: cam = came ;-)
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Accordiong to the doco that came with it did.
    Do you still have the documents? If so can you post the part of it that says it disables cruise control. Looking at the wiring diagram and knowing how the trailer harness connects into the bike harness I don't see any way possible for it to affect the cruise control unless they've got some oddball cross wiring tied into the brake light wire that goes into the ECM.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-29-2022 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

2014 Copper RTS